.22TCM

Discussion of handguns

Re: .22TCM

Postby Rodentman on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:42 am

Does anyone know if the Hornady seating die for the 5.7x28 is the same as the one for the 22tcm, or stated another way, if the former will work for the latter? The OAL is 1.57 vs 1.255. I realize the 223 seating die will not adjust down enough, but hopefully the Hornady will. I ask because I have the Hornady micrometer adjuster on the 5.7 die and I'd rather just use the same one, not having to buy another micrometer. I am partial to them since I use the micro adjuster Redding seating dies on the majority of my other calibers.

Dies will be here Wednesday and I'll find out soon enough...
Rodentman

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 am

I have and can cut down a RCBS Seating Die if you want and if you can provide the information details required.

Trying to help, and interested.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rodentman on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Oldman, thanks for the offer! I'll get the dies and see how they work out. I use the Hornady seating die for the 5.7 and it works really well, so we'll see how this does!
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:13 am

Got the dies, 2k bullets, and 300 pc brass. This will take some research since there isn't much out there regarding loading. The guys who made the caliber suggest 9.5-10g H110 and specify a Tula/Wolf primer and make a point to say NO MAGNUM PRIMERS. Of course the internet shows people loading up to 11.2g H110 and also using various powders:

Accurate Arms Number 7 7.5 Grains- large red fireball
Alliant Blue Dot 7.5 Grains-Huge Blue fire ball
Hodgdon H110 9 Grains-loud bang,huge fire ball-* note this powder went from normal pressures to scary pressure by .4 grains. Be careful with your scale.
Winchester 296 10.0 Grains-Nice fire ball
Accurate Arms Number 9 10.0 Grains-nice fire ball
IMR-4227 10.5 Grains-Huge fire ball
Accurate Arms 5744 11.0 Grains-small fire ball

Doesn't mean I'm gonna follow internet loads from strangers; I am more interested in their die setups, trim lengths, neck expansion, crimp etc. I plan on using my bbl for the plunk test, and test the OAL in the mag. Since I successfully load the 5.7 this shouldn't be too different, in principle anyway. I never flared the case mouth on the 5.7 and applied a light crimp. I plan to try the same with the 22tcm. The bullets for the 5.7 were BT and the tcm are not. I'll find out tonight how this all work. Hope to have some loads ready for testing Saturday.
Rodentman

Postby scarletvw on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 pm

So I put a deposit down on a 9mm/22tcm just like your rodentman. Now I need to go get my ptp renewed and pick up my pistol. I'm pretty excited. More or less looking forward to the double stack 1911 9mm more then anything.

Have you tried the 9mm barrel? If so how did it shoot?
scarletvw

Postby Rodentman on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:31 am

The 9mm worked fine. Changing the bbl and spring even at the range is easy since the springs are very light and the pistol comes apart nicely, not too tight. I cannot speak to the accuracy since I am not a accurate shooter myself. I like the gun.
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Also if you plan to reload, well I'm no expert but I can always serve as a bad example. Thanks again to Oldman for helping me. I have success with the reloads now. It's a fun gun in both calibers. Be careful with aftermarket grips. It's based on the Para 14 frame, not a strict 1911. Some tweaking of grips is likely to be needed, the Para 14 grips are not an exact fit. Pretty easy with the Hogue wraparounds, not so easy with wood. I mean wood grips.
Rodentman

Postby scarletvw on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Rodentman wrote:Also if you plan to reload, well I'm no expert but I can always serve as a bad example. Thanks again to Oldman for helping me. I have success with the reloads now. It's a fun gun in both calibers. Be careful with aftermarket grips. It's based on the Para 14 frame, not a strict 1911. Some tweaking of grips is likely to be needed, the Para 14 grips are not an exact fit. Pretty easy with the Hogue wraparounds, not so easy with wood. I mean wood grips.

I'd love to start reloading, I've been saving all my 9mm brass so far from shooting my other pistols, I plan to keep all my 22tcm if I shoot it a lot or at all.

And my dad actually has a Para P14-45 so I planned to see how his grips fit it and all. But it'll probably stay factory for a while. I sure am excited to pick up the pistol and shoot it though.
scarletvw

Postby Rodentman on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 am

Did you get this pistol yet? How do you like it?
Rodentman

Postby scarletvw on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:51 am

Rodentman wrote:Did you get this pistol yet? How do you like it?

I picked it up yesterday, cleaned it up last night and I'm just getting ready to head to the range. Over all so far happy with the gun except for the grips, they look like a blind man made them. Extra material all over the place and just overall low quality.
scarletvw

Postby Rodentman on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 am

Yeah I didn't like the cheapo grips. I got the Hogue wraparound and with a little dremel action near the plunger they fit fine. It's a lot of fun to shoot. And save that brass!
Rodentman

Postby scarletvw on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:25 am

Rodentman wrote:Yeah I didn't like the cheapo grips. I got the Hogue wraparound and with a little dremel action near the plunger they fit fine. It's a lot of fun to shoot. And save that brass!

Well, just got back from the range. Only shot 9mm for right now. It shot well, still getting a feel for it and only shot 70rds out of that gun but it was more accurate then I am. Only issue I had was on 3 mags it locked open the slide with one round still in the magazine. Otherwise it shot good, less felt recoil than the 9mm Arcus that I had.
scarletvw

Postby Rodentman on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Yeah, I had the same problem with the mag, with both calibers. I read that other people did as well. Someone described some fix for the mag but I didn't mess with it.
Rodentman

Postby scarletvw on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Rodentman wrote:Yeah, I had the same problem with the mag, with both calibers. I read that other people did as well. Someone described some fix for the mag but I didn't mess with it.

Any chance you remember where you read about a fix? I almost wonder if it's the slide lock/takedown lever/whatever you call it, causing the issue.
scarletvw

Postby Cuda66 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:23 am

I picked up one of these right after they came out; I like it a lot.

The only issues mine has had is that in 9mm, it won't feed 147gr reliably, and it didn't care for the Para mags with the extenders in 9mm (they worked fine in .22TCM, and I love the idea of having 22 rounds on tap...).

I've mainly run it in 9mm, though...
Cuda66

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns