1st revolver

Discussion of handguns

Re: 1st revolver

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:26 pm

my1stpistol wrote:
2in2out wrote:
Ghost wrote:I'm surprised there's not more love in the world for the convertible that I mentioned above. Unless you really want a double action. The convertible is a fantastic revolver and being able to shoot 9mm makes it super cheap to shoot. Assuming this is meant as a range toy and not for carry.

I've been thinking about a revolver for quite a while and like that option. I prefer the more traditional style guns, like the Blackhawk, too.

Sorry. Been away for a bit trying to shoot a turkey. This gun does intrest me as well but have not handled one. It will go on the list when I go looking more closely at them.

You will find a Blackhawk but I'd be surprised if you find the convertible. May have to order one if you like the feel of the Blackhawk. I went stainless with mine.
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:12 pm

I've got a Ruger 44 Super Blackhawk with full flap Ruger holster.
Revolver is a 200th Year 7.5" blued version with Pachmeyer grips.
Slight bluing wear due to holster.

Thinking of selling due to not hunting anymore.

Also have a Ruger Old Army.

Have no idea of values on either, but loved them as solid revolvers. At one time I had 7 Super Blackhawks, two of which had 10.5" barrels and super light crisp triggers for IHMSA competitions.

If you are considering using as a hunting revolver, they can't be beat, in my opinion.

I will do further evaluation and post for sale soon in Marketplace Ads. PM if interested. You may test fire at my place using my ammo.
OldmanFCSA

Postby fine ape on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 am

Ghost wrote:I'm surprised there's not more love in the world for the convertible that I mentioned above. Unless you really want a double action. The convertible is a fantastic revolver and being able to shoot 9mm makes it super cheap to shoot. Assuming this is meant as a range toy and not for carry.

I did some looking in to that setup before getting my flat top 45 colt/auto blackhawk. The consensus seemed to be that shooting a .355 bullet out of a .357/.358 barrel produced less than ideal accuracy.

Don't get me wrong I love my convertible but going from fist size group with factory 45 colt, to dinner plate group with 230 ball 45 auto makes you wonder.
Guns are not the problem, people are the problem. And short of lobotomizig everyone who has a bad thought they will continue to be for the forseeable future.
fine ape

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 am

fine ape wrote:

I did some looking in to that setup before getting my flat top 45 colt/auto blackhawk. The consensus seemed to be that shooting a .355 bullet out of a .357/.358 barrel produced less than ideal accuracy.

Don't get me wrong I love my convertible but going from fist size group with factory 45 colt, to dinner plate group with 230 ball 45 auto makes you wonder.

I have the 45 also. The 9mm out of the 357 shoots fine for me but then I'm not shooting 50 yards either.
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:23 am

Revolver people just don't seem like the idea of 9mm in a revolver.

As for convertibles, how about a Medusa revolver!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:45 am

I love my 929 - 9mm and my 625 - 45ACP revolvers. What's not to like!
mmcnx2

Postby fine ape on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:21 pm

I'll 2nd the Dan Wesson 15 series. I picked one up at the MNWC show last year for about $520. It came with a 2", 4", and 8" barrel, plus two grips and extras. Triggers just as good as a performance center smith.

A buddy of mine got an 8" one last month for $450, so deals can be had on them.
One word of caution, both mine and my buddys had rough chambers and would stick cases on warmer 357 magnums. A chamber hone fixed all that.
Guns are not the problem, people are the problem. And short of lobotomizig everyone who has a bad thought they will continue to be for the forseeable future.
fine ape

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:49 am

mmcnx2 wrote:I love my 929 - 9mm and my 625 - 45ACP revolvers. What's not to like!

Just a note on this, the Rugers don't/can't use moon clips.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:24 pm

I would probably go with a used Smith and Wesson .357.

One little point about the Blackhawk (and all the SA type grip- so called plow grips) revolvers is that they will "roll" in your hand under recoil, especially heavy recoil. Some say that mitigates recoil. Personally, I don't like it much, so tend to shoot the DA revolvers more. In a true cowboy gun, the recoil never gets so high that you really have it moving on you. A .357 will move some. A .44 Mag will move. A .454 Casull rolls like a SOB. I can't shoot the freedom arms gun without a glove because of this.

If you use light range ammo or stick with sedate calibers, they are a lot of fun, but anything over about 900 FPS can be a "moving" experience.
crbutler

Previous

Return to Handguns