Almost bought a Kahr, but instead...

Discussion of handguns

Re: Almost bought a Kahr, but instead...

Postby GunGoogler on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:21 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Reports I've read on XD talk have been mixed, some have been downright bad. Some folks have had perfect results though.....be sure to let us know how it feeds defensive loads (if you get around to testing them).

I put a handfull of magazines through this thing last night, all "Federal HST Tacticool" (whatever that means). No hiccup. I found the recoil to be very tame for a compact gun in a real caliber, and I found it easy to shoot and control even with the short stubby frame and no pinky kick on the magazine. The trigger is short and crisp if..... if you like that sort of thing. (I prefer a longer DA trigger these days) I wasn't a big fan of the sight picture. I nkow it's a compact gun and all, but something about the sights irritated me a little. That and there's no way around it... it's an ugly gun. All thing considered I give it an 8 out of 10.

If I didn't aleady have the compact .45 platform well represented in my "arsenal" I would certainly consider one of these.

I'm not a fan of the sights on it either...as we discussed, I intend to replace those and I may as well put night sights on if I'm going to do that. Simple three-dot glowers. Done.

I do love the trigger, but that Kahr has a neat trigger too. It took a little getting used to, but it was fun...unlike the brutal DA on that old revolver you brought. That thing was crazy. I still can't imagine being in a war with that as my sidearm. Eff. That.

Also...it is definitely ugly. No doubt, but I didn't want to carry a sub-compact 1911 in 45 due to too many nightmare stories I've heard (why I listen, I'll never know). I would have picked up a Kahr, but at less than $500 for the factory kit and the extra extended magazine...I got an XD-S. Done.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Re: Almost bought a Kahr, but instead...

Postby GunGoogler on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 am

grousemaster wrote:
GunGoogler wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Reports I've read on XD talk have been mixed, some have been downright bad. Some folks have had perfect results though.....be sure to let us know how it feeds defensive loads (if you get around to testing them).

I fired a handful of FMJ last night, but otherwise I was feeding it Federal Hydra-shoks (and Hydra-shok Tactical, which I"d never seen before) as well as Speer Gold Dots. It ate everything we threw at it with a smile. Not a single malfunction of any sort. Of course, as I've stated, I'll want to send a lot more down the pipe before I trust it on my person.

That's good to hear. My guess: If you haven't had issues yet, you won't. Congrats on a bad ass pistol that tons of folks are trying to get their hands on right now!

Thanks! I didn't realize that they were hard to come by. I seem to recall Bill's having a case full of the things...

I could be wrong...I figure if Strad often is, I must be too. :lol:
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Previous

Return to Handguns