1911 detail stripping

Discussion of handguns

1911 detail stripping

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Allright............ Here's where you all find out what a 1911 rookie I am. I am new to the 1911 world, understand how they work, (point, click, bang) and know how to field strip and clean and etc. The problem I have is detail stripping the firearm. The slide is no problem, the rest I'm a little lost on. Could I bribe any of you minneapolisites (probably with a beer or two) to walk me through a detail strip so when the time comes (and it will not be long 8-) ) to swap out parts and dress it up a little bit with new trigger, grip safety, sear etc. I know what the h*ll I'm doing? :oops:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Re: 1911 detail stripping

Postby cobb on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Sure, I could, but I am in Mankato.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.m1911.org/full_striping.htm

Click on link and then the picture, it will bring up more pictures and instructions. Scroll down to the bottom and there are some more instructions and even some videos.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:30 pm

Now that's more like it! I found a few sites that were fairly vague, but this, my friend, is exactly what the doctor ordered!

Stradawhovious

Postby cobb on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Now that's more like it! I found a few sites that were fairly vague, but this, my friend, is exactly what the doctor ordered!

Ya, me too, I like pictures. :lol:

So does that mean the bribe of a beer or two is off?
Oh, oh, I may hear about this from some minneapolisites...... :wack:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Next time I'm down Mankato way, I'll look you up and make good on the offer. :cheers: I will warn you, it may be a while, I rarely have occasion to leave the safety of my bunker.

On the other side, let me know if you come up nort, and want to cash in :D
Stradawhovious

Postby Pat on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:54 pm

After you buy me a couple of beers, I will show you how to detail strip your 1911 in a most efficient manner. Afterwards we will carefully slide all of the smaller parts off the table into a ZipLock bag. Then, you'll drive us to a buddy of mine who, for another coupla beers, will put the whole thing back together for you.

In this exercise, true efficiency is normally measured by the number of parts remaining in the ZipLock bag after reassembly. In general, the more parts the better...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Next time I'm down Mankato way, I'll look you up and make good on the offer. :cheers: I will warn you, it may be a while, I rarely have occasion to leave the safety of my bunker.

On the other side, let me know if you come up nort, and want to cash in :D
I'm in South Minneapolis also, so I can chaperone.
Pat Cannon

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Pat wrote:After you buy me a couple of beers, I will show you how to detail strip your 1911 in a most efficient manner. Afterwards we will carefully slide all of the smaller parts off the table into a ZipLock bag. Then, you'll drive us to a buddy of mine who, for another coupla beers, will put the whole thing back together for you.

In this exercise, true efficiency is normally measured by the number of parts remaining in the ZipLock bag after reassembly. In general, the more parts the better...

My problem was always the little spring didn't make it into the bag because it shot off into nowhere.
Pat Cannon

Postby cobb on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:My problem was always the little spring didn't make it into the bag because it shot off into nowhere.
Now I am going to put you on the spot, what little spring in a 1911 are you referring to?

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:My problem was always the little spring didn't make it into the bag because it shot off into nowhere.

It's a good thing i wear glasses, I've done that once or twice as well. :doh:
Stradawhovious

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:40 pm

cobb wrote:
Now I am going to put you on the spot, what little spring in a 1911 are you referring to?

The plunger spring and its little plunger that push against the detent on the thumb safety. They can come flying out when you pull the safety lever out of the frame. When I went to see Randy Hengl (Territorial Gunsmiths) to get a new one, he showed me the trick of twisting a kink into the spring so it stays put.
Pat Cannon

Postby cobb on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Pat Cannon wrote: he showed me the trick of twisting a kink into the spring so it stays put.

I thought that was a common practice to do to a 1911 before it even left the manufacturer. Yep, take a small needle nose pliers and open or elongate, creating a slight bend sideways, a turn in the middle of the spring. Try not to "kink" it, more of a disfigurement, a kink may crack the spring coil and cause it to break. I think I know what you mean Pat, just that my definition of a kink would cause a weak point in the spring, not saying your definition would. :)

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Can I come too, I would like to see an experienced person put a 1911 back together. My technique is far for smooth and yes, I have the stupid mark on mine.
And being Belgian, I know a thing or two about beer.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby hammAR on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:44 pm

You have to remember that Pat was converted from 1911's to revolvers, so he is a little kinky anyhow, so it would be normal for him....... :D
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Pat on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:04 pm

hammAR wrote:You have to remember that Pat was converted from 1911's to revolvers, so he is a little kinky anyhow, so it would be normal for him....... :D

So just which Pat are you writing about, and who told you I was kinky, anyway...?
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Next

Return to Handguns