Almost bought a Kahr, but instead...

Discussion of handguns

Postby GunGoogler on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:12 pm

I bought a damn-near new XD-S. Yep.

Anyone have this one? I seem to recall Thunder71 having one. Any impressions after owning one for a while? My hope is that this will make it into the carry rotation and get my away from carrying my Commander for a good while. I'm still going to get a Kahr CW45 eventually, but I thought the price was too good to pass up.

Because it is a must, here are a couple pictures snapped with my phone, so nothing fancy:

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

Of course, now I need a new holster. I'm looking at the Crossbreed mini-tuck, which should do nicely. I have a supertuck deluxe for my Commander and I love it. I'm guessing I'll like this one too.

Edit: I should mention that it came with all the original stuff as well as a single, seven-round magazine (shown in the photo). It has only 50 rounds down the pipe.

That is all...as you were.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Re: Almost bought a Kahr, but instead...

Postby Shipyard on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Not sure if I should be pissed at you or not..... I'll let you know after you let me rock a.hundred out of.that sexy skinny xd :p
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Paul on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 pm

I had one come through a couple of all day shooting classes. Nothing but malfunctions, BUT it could have been ammo related - he only had one type with him.

Anyway, I shot it... Accurate enough for what it is, but too small for my hand.
Paul

Postby GunGoogler on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Shipyard wrote:Not sure if I should be pissed at you or not..... I'll let you know after you let me rock a.hundred out of.that sexy skinny xd :p

Well, we should work that out.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Postby GunGoogler on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Paul wrote:I one come through a couple of all day shooting classes. Nothing but malfunctions, BUT it could have been ammo related - he only had one type with him.

Anyway, I shot it... Accurate enough for what it is, but too small for my hand.

That is something I'll have to watch for. I've read about folks having problems with some hollows, especially initially until it is broken in. For my purposee, I'll practice with one of my three favorite defensive rounds and feed the crap out of anyone that it likes. Once it hits 500 or so, it will go into the rotation or get sold.

The grip on the standard 5-round mag is a little small, but I don't mind shooting with my pinky off if I have too. The 7-round extended magazine was perfect for me.
GunGoogler

Postby Paul on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:45 pm

He was shooting Remington target rounds, IIRC.
Paul

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 pm

This is going to make that Kahr soooo much better when you get it. :lol:

I look forward to getting my mitts on this. :D
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby promod1385 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 pm

I dont have an XDs but I fondled one at Bills a while back. IMHO the trigger on the XDs is far superior to the Kahr. Everyone raves about how "smooth" the Kahr trigger is however the one I had was just long and heavy. Nothing to write home about.
promod1385

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:56 pm

I rented one at Bill's. I didn't run a full box of 50 through it before giving it back. I so wanted to like it when they first hit the press. After shooting it, not so much. For me it was to harsh. Finished up the box of 50 with my XD 45.
Sorcerer

Postby adoptedson on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 pm

HA! No way man! I went to Bills today to check out a Kahr CW9. I was not fond of the trigger at all. I had never shot a Kahr, but could tell by dry firing that it wasn't for me. I walked out with an XDS. Went home wiped it down and lubed it up. Then i went right back to the range. I put 100 rnds of FMJ(50 PMC/50 Federal Champion) and 20 rnds of Hornady critical defense through it and not a single malfunction. I found it very accurate, and very manageable. I was pleased to say the least. I too am now in the market for a good holster.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
adoptedson

Postby GunGoogler on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:This is going to make that Kahr soooo much better when you get it. :lol:

I look forward to getting my mitts on this. :D

My thoughts exactly. I'll make a point of having it the next time I see you.
GunGoogler

Postby JoeH on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Small 45s are ripe for limp wrist malfunctions. Keep it lubed and keep a strong grip.

Joe
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby cobb on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:32 pm

JoeH wrote:Small 45s are ripe for limp wrist malfunctions. Keep it lubed and keep a strong grip.

Joe

That's what I was thinking.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby GunGoogler on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:32 pm

adoptedson wrote:HA! No way man! I went to Bills today to check out a Kahr CW9. I was not fond of the trigger at all. I had never shot a Kahr, but could tell by dry firing that it wasn't for me. I walked out with an XDS. Went home wiped it down and lubed it up. Then i went right back to the range. I put 100 rnds of FMJ(50 PMC/50 Federal Champion) and 20 rnds of Hornady critical defense through it and not a single malfunction. I found it very accurate, and very manageable. I was pleased to say the least. I too am now in the market for a good holster.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Nice! Good to hear about the Hornady. The CD and TAP are two of my favorite rounds.

As for holsters, if you like IWB, check out the Supertuck by Crossbreed. I have two of those and love them. I ordered the minituck for my XD-S and expect to appreciate the smaller FF.
GunGoogler

Postby GunGoogler on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 pm

JoeH wrote:Small 45s are ripe for limp wrist malfunctions. Keep it lubed and keep a strong grip.

Joe

Considered that myself.
GunGoogler

Next

Return to Handguns