Springfield EMP Magazine

Discussion of handguns

Springfield EMP Magazine

Postby westhope on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:06 am

I just purchased a Springfield EMP. Nice gun. Great looks. So far it shoots fine.

The stock magazine (9 round) protrudes beyond the bottom of the grip. I would like a magazine (8 round OK) that fits flush with the base of the grip. I have asked Springfield and looked at the MecGar site and they do not offer any. The stock magazine is laser etched "Springfield EMP made by MecGar". It is one of the best magazines I have ever seen made by MecGar. I usually don't like their magazines, but this one is really nicely made.

Does anyone know if one is available from another source?

Nicely made gun. Comparing it to my Springfield Micro (45 ACP), the frame and slide are almost identical size. The difference is in the grip width (side to side) and length (backstrap to front strap). Both are smaller. The gun fits in my compact 1911 holsters. At 7 yards I held a 3 " group, standing offhand, with my first 10 rounds zeroed right on the bullseye with Federal American Eagle ammo. I did have some malfunctions with some old Pony Express ammo that I have had problems with in my other 9 mm 1911. The gun point shoots great for me as good or better than my other 1911's.

Only complaints so far are, they should have supplied at least one magazine that fits flush with the bottom of the grip of the gun rather than the 2 supplied that extend past the grip. The gun would look and conceal so much better with a flush fitting magazine. The other thing, on a 1911 this expensive, the front strap should come checkered. I applied some 3 M tape, as I have done on other 1911's to this area to get the better grip.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Re: Springfield EMP Magazine

Postby DeanC on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:02 pm

You may have a fruitless search. The EMP mags are proprietary to that gun. When they come out with the EMP 40 there may be some after market mfgs taking an interest as (if?) the sales numbers of the EMP series climb.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Return to Handguns