Taurus CIA

Discussion of handguns

Taurus CIA

Postby sochr000 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 am

So I had some spare cash today and I bought my first wheelgun, a Taurus CIA in .357 Mag. I'll try to get pictures up this weekend. I do have a question about it though.

While talking to the manager at the gunshop I go to, he was saying .38spl was okay to interchange with .357 Mag. Is this okay? I've heard it's okay before, but I want to be sure before hand.

Also, from what I've read this is a sturdy revolver, is that true? I got it for $319
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Re: Taurus CIA

Postby Stradawhovious on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:23 am

If the revolver is chambered in .357, you can safely shoot .38spcl through it.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby 1911fan on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:03 am

yup, .38 special into a .357 mag is proper, only caveat is that when you clean the gun, you might have some extra residue at the end of the chamber because of the extra length, NOT a big deal.
1911fan

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:56 am

Gotta love the 38/357 combination. Mellow 38s for practice, flame belching 357 for anything else. Reloading for this is easy and fun. I have never heard of a Taurus CIA, would love to see pics.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Stradawhovious on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 am

Belgiboy wrote: would love to see pics.

Well, Google can be your friend

Apparently, CIA stands for "Carry It Anywhere"
Stradawhovious

Postby goldtopper on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:39 am

The .38/.357 is the main selling point in the .357 caliber.
Cool pistol!

I'm wanting a Vaquero or similar in the same caliber. 45 long colt would be great, but holy cow, those rounds are expensive.
I've been to the Zoo, see. From where I was standing the Lion ain't the King of The Jungle. It is definetly the Zebra.
goldtopper

Postby Stradawhovious on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 am

goldtopper wrote:. 45 long colt would be great, but holy cow, those rounds are expensive.

You need one of these.

Stradawhovious

Postby monschman on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:37 am

Nice gun Chris, where did you get it, R&R?. The snubbies seem to bite a little more with the magnum rounds than the 38spl, however i really like the option even if i only ever fired one 357 out of it, I would always have the option should I ever change my mind. I guess thats my favorite part of this gun, it gives you multiple choices.
monschman

Postby tt3 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:31 am

That is what I was thinking when I bought mine a few years ago. It really belches fire with the .357 but is just plain fun with the 38spl.
tt3

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 am

Nice rig!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby mnglocker on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 am

goldtopper wrote:The .38/.357 is the main selling point in the .357 caliber.
Cool pistol!

I'm wanting a Vaquero or similar in the same caliber. 45 long colt would be great, but holy cow, those rounds are expensive.

I know of someone letting a New Vaquero in .45LC go for cheap. PM if you want the info.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
Belgiboy wrote: would love to see pics.

Well, Google can be your friend

Apparently, CIA stands for "Carry It Anywhere"

At work, googling that can get me fired. Apparently they have a policy against rampant googling around the nursing staff.

Nice snubbie by the way, never was a big fan of little hammerless revolvers but this doesn't look bad at all.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:38 am

Cool. $319 sounds like a heck of a deal to me if the thing holds up. I see it weighs about 23 oz. That makes it heavy as snubbies go, which is good if you're going to shoot any .357. I've fired .357 out of one those 12-oz. alloy guns and it's like a cherry bomb detonating in your hand. My Ruger SP101 weighs about the same as the CIA, and the weight makes shooting Magnums... tolerable, with the stock grips, which were a medium-hard rubber. I did go right out and buy a cushy Hogue Monogrip, after the first time I shot any .357, and now it's slightly less concealable but super comfy to shoot.

I've only once had a problem shooting .38s in a .357, and it's the usual one that 1911fan mentioned. I shot up about a box of .38 special and got that front 1/8" of the chambers good & dirty, then shot a cylinder-full of aluminum cased Blazer .357 Magnum. When I swung out the cylinder and pushed on the ejector rod, it didn't budge. When I gave it a good smack I just hurt my hand. Finally I found something to pad the end of the ejector and was able to smack it hard enough to get them out. The Blazer cases are not as smooth as brass, and I suspect that the aluminum might not spring back to size like brass, but the Blazer ammo is (relatively) cheap and has worked fine for me otherwise.

So, yeah, go ahead and shoot both but just shoot the .357 first, or clean the gun in between.

One of the nice things about wheelguns is, you can try whatever power level ammo you want and the gun will always "cycle". You'll like it!
Pat Cannon

Postby sochr000 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:23 pm

monschman wrote:Nice gun Chris, where did you get it, R&R?.

I got it at Bluewater, had to stop in to pickup some Varget I ordered and figured I would check their safe. Really liked the looks of the LCR but that was like $699 so that got ruled out.

Haven't shot it yet as all the .357 they had was either the Cor-Bon stuff at $30 for a small box or some 357sig which I figured wouldn't work. I'm probably going to buy a couple boxes of the Cor-Bon next payday for carry use, but couldn't afford them yesterday
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:36 pm

sochr000 wrote: Really liked the looks of the LCR but that was like $699 so that got ruled out.

That is really pricey for a LCR. The standard LCR usually goes for around $400.00 and the model with the laser grips goes for around $550.00. 700.00 is way high. You will be happy with the Taurus. Its nice to have a gun that shoots two different rounds. Next you should get a Judge :D :D :D
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Next

Return to Handguns