Carrying Reloads With A Revolver

Discussion of handguns

Carrying Reloads With A Revolver

Postby Paul on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:33 pm

I recently ordered a S&W 642. I would like some input and opinions from those of you that carry revolvers as far as reloads are concerned. I do not want to carry speed loaders or moon clips, so I am wondering what other options are out there. What do you like, and why does it work for you. Ideally I would like to carry between 5 and 10 rounds.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Paul

Re: Carrying Reloads With A Revolver

Postby macphisto on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 pm

A lot of people carry these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=243389

Pretty slow, but better than a bunch of loose rounds in your pocket.
macphisto

Postby MrVvrroomm on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57 pm

macphisto wrote:A lot of people carry these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=243389

bingo
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Paul on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 pm

That looks like it might work. Has anyone seen/used a belt carrier? I am not having much luck trying to Google it... But I am basically envisioning the item you have linked, but in an enclosed leather case that looks discreet on the belt. Almost like one of those horizontal cell phone carriers.
Paul

Postby Paul on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:09 pm

I am guess I am looking for something like what's pictured below... Just not so cheap/tactical looking (and for handgun ammunition obviously).

Or like this, but with a cover.

Paul

Postby Paul on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:14 pm

This might do the trick... Not a huge fan of Uncle Mike's stuff. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=640356
Paul

Postby macphisto on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:54 pm

user842 wrote:That looks like it might work. Has anyone seen/used a belt carrier? I am not having much luck trying to Google it... But I am basically envisioning the item you have linked, but in an enclosed leather case that looks discreet on the belt. Almost like one of those horizontal cell phone carriers.

You need to talk to Vlad. He's made exactly what you've described. I've seen it with my own eyes!
macphisto

Postby Paul on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Awesome, thanks Mac.
Paul

Postby mnglocker on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:43 pm

MrVvrroomm wrote:
macphisto wrote:A lot of people carry these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=243389

bingo

Ding ding ding ding.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 pm

user842 wrote:That looks like it might work. Has anyone seen/used a belt carrier? I am not having much luck trying to Google it...

Image search for bianchi speed strip pouch OR carrier OR holder

The Speed Strips are better than loose rounds, like Macphisto says. I was involved in a thread about the Speed Strips on, I think, The High Road, a while back, and somebody claimed they could do a reload in 5 seconds. I can't.

I usually have one in a pants pocket, but I too am thinking a belt pouch would be nice. When I pull out the car keys it's easy to drag the ammo out too. My wife found one of my Speed Strips and 5 rounds of .357 last week that was just uncovered by the receding glacier in our driveway.

I know you said you don't want to carry a speedloader, but in jacket weather I find it easy to carry one in a jacket pocket.

I'm also considering some find of a carrier for loose rounds -- maybe as a DIY Kydex project. Before speedloaders caught on, the speed reload technique was to pull two at a time from belt loops or a pouch, and I think that's just about as fast as the (so called) Speed Strip.
Pat Cannon

Postby westhope on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Yup, used the Bianchi Speed Strips for years. Someone else is making them for other calibers too.

I carry one in my right (strong side) rear pocket along with a hanky. J-frame is in a pocket holster in jeans. No cover garment.

I do use speedloaders on the range. They may be a little faster, but not much.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Chunkychuck on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:59 am

https://www.tuffproducts.com/home.php?cat=271

This company sells their version of speed strips and pouches to carry them. This page starts with the shotgun shell carrier but if you scroll down it gets to revolver shell carriers. Interesting note though is Midway has the Tuff speed strips for $7.99 while the Tuff site sells them for $8.49
Chunkychuck

Postby Ironbear on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:27 am

Another option I've heard mentioned is to find a magazine or two in the right caliber. Rounds are held nicely and can be popped directly from the magazine into the cylinder.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby DeanC on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:02 am

Officer Bill Gannon wore one on Dragnet.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby DanM on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:31 am

I pocket carry my 642 in Srig's Rough Out holster in one front pants pocket and Srig's Double Rough Out Pouch in the other. Works well for me.

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holste ... hPouch.htm
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Next

Return to Handguns