First 1911?

Discussion of handguns

Re: First 1911?

Postby bstrawse on Sun May 02, 2010 5:59 am

1911fan wrote:Gunstop had several, as did Al in white bear lake, Al had a few Colt's that would be $700 to 900, for good solid used guns, as well as few new ones for around the same, (series 70's do bring a slight premium over new production)

I still haven't been to Al's, I need to check that out, particularly now that I know he has some used Colt's. ;)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Flip on Sun May 02, 2010 8:37 am

I've had good luck buying guns that were "out of my league" by purchasing used ... An example you might be interested in could be

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215605

or keep an eye on the board on this forum

Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby Fast Eddie on Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 pm

I really like my Springfield mil-spec 1911. My first 1911 since leaving the Navy. Added bonus it doesn't rattle like the old Navy 1911's did. :shock:

Ed
Fast Eddie

Postby BBeckwith on Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 pm

I am ordering a Springfield Loaded for the first 1911 here.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby DanM on Mon May 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I put an order in for a 1911 today off of GunBroker. Will post pictures when it comes in.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby revluke on Mon May 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Went to Frontiersman and Bill's today. Handled a bunch of guns. Like the Kimbers and the Springfield loaded. Also the Para Big Hawg or whatever with its 14+1. Not for the capacity necessarily, but I'm 6'8" and have large hands, so the double stack grip was a good fit. I honestly can't bring myself to drop that kind of money and then be chained to buying .45 ammo to boot. 9mm has spoiled me, picked up 5 more boxes of Federal for 9.47 each at WM today. (They had 4 WWB .45 100rd boxes this weekend,btw, $33 each)

To invest 700-900 in a gun, I want something I can shoot and not feel little pangs of guilt every time I squeeze the trigger. I suppose getting in to reloading would change the game for me, but as a recreational shooter, the 1911 just doesn't fit my bill...
That said, I'm sure if i find a good deal sometime, I'll spring for it. Willpower was never my strong suit.
revluke

Postby mrokern on Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 pm

revluke wrote:Went to Frontiersman and Bill's today. Handled a bunch of guns. Like the Kimbers and the Springfield loaded. Also the Para Big Hawg or whatever with its 14+1. Not for the capacity necessarily, but I'm 6'8" and have large hands, so the double stack grip was a good fit. I honestly can't bring myself to drop that kind of money and then be chained to buying .45 ammo to boot. 9mm has spoiled me, picked up 5 more boxes of Federal for 9.47 each at WM today. (They had 4 WWB .45 100rd boxes this weekend,btw, $33 each)

To invest 700-900 in a gun, I want something I can shoot and not feel little pangs of guilt every time I squeeze the trigger. I suppose getting in to reloading would change the game for me, but as a recreational shooter, the 1911 just doesn't fit my bill...
That said, I'm sure if i find a good deal sometime, I'll spring for it. Willpower was never my strong suit.

Springfield and Kimber both make 9mm models. 8-)
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby Snowgun on Tue May 04, 2010 1:17 am

revluke wrote:Went to Frontiersman and Bill's today. Handled a bunch of guns. Like the Kimbers and the Springfield loaded. Also the Para Big Hawg or whatever with its 14+1. Not for the capacity necessarily, but I'm 6'8" and have large hands, so the double stack grip was a good fit. I honestly can't bring myself to drop that kind of money and then be chained to buying .45 ammo to boot. 9mm has spoiled me, picked up 5 more boxes of Federal for 9.47 each at WM today. (They had 4 WWB .45 100rd boxes this weekend,btw, $33 each)

Once you feel that springfield throw that beautiful 230 grains of Lead down range you will forget all about the price of .45 ammo. (and you will find that shooting purchased once reloaded ammo is a good compromise to the price of new or the pain of reloading.)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby John S. on Tue May 04, 2010 11:11 am

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby justaguy on Tue May 04, 2010 11:48 am

What ever you get just make sure its doesn't say Taurus or Kimber on the slide. Maybe try a Springfield if it has to be a 1911, otherwise look for a Glock. They are a lot better mouse trap.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby mrokern on Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 pm

justaguy wrote:What ever you get just make sure its doesn't say Taurus or Kimber on the slide. Maybe try a Springfield if it has to be a 1911, otherwise look for a Glock. They are a lot better mouse trap.

Kimber is working just fine for me.
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby John S. on Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm

justaguy wrote:What ever you get just make sure its doesn't say Taurus (FORD) or Kimber(CHRYSLER) on the slide. Maybe try a Springfield if it has to be a 1911, otherwise look for a Glock. They are a lot better mouse trap.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby justaguy on Tue May 04, 2010 4:45 pm

mrokern wrote:
justaguy wrote:What ever you get just make sure its doesn't say Taurus or Kimber on the slide. Maybe try a Springfield if it has to be a 1911, otherwise look for a Glock. They are a lot better mouse trap.

John S. wrote:
justaguy wrote:What ever you get just make sure its doesn't say Taurus (FORD) or Kimber(CHRYSLER) on the slide. Maybe try a Springfield if it has to be a 1911, otherwise look for a Glock. They are a lot better mouse trap.

The old me would have responded with a smartass comment or trolling, but I'm turning over a new leaf. I wish the two of you the best of luck with your future endeavors, and thanks for logging in today.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby diskdoctr on Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Another option if you want an entry level 1911 is Citadel. I have the Officer size (3 1/2 Inch) and it has 300 flawless rounds through it. It is more accurate than I am and has some very nice features. Better than my Kimber in my opinion. For the price point you can't go wrong.
diskdoctr

Postby bstrawse on Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 pm

mrokern wrote:

And me
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns