XD questions

Discussion of handguns

XD questions

Postby sochr000 on Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 pm

So I was at my local gun shop yesterday looking at things I can't afford and saw a pistol that looked and handled nicely, so here I am for opinions/reviews/insight on this particular platform. The pistol in question was an XD40 with a 3" bbl in OD green.

Now for the information that will help you all figure out why I am interested in this platform over your preferred platform. :lol: I already have a Glock, a 1911, and a revolver, so those options have already been considered and dealt with. I shoot left-handed so the ambi stuff is nice, the backstrap safety is also nice, and I don't have much experience with .40 so I figured I would give it a shot.

Information that would be immensely helpful:
How is the recoil from .40 in a sub-compact?
Any reliability issues from the shorter XDs?
How easy is it to get night-sights installed?
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Re: XD questions

Postby mnglocker on Wed May 12, 2010 1:37 pm

.40 in compacts makes for a violent sharp recoil. It's not for people who are recoil sensitive.

Now off topic, I think you need a CZ or a Wittness before you need another plastic gun. :mrgreen:
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby justaguy on Wed May 12, 2010 1:48 pm

sochr000 wrote:Information that would be immensely helpful:
How is the recoil from .40 in a sub-compact?
Any reliability issues from the shorter XDs?
How easy is it to get night-sights installed?

I haven't noticed the difference from .45 and .40 shooting them side by side in on the same platform. But I just shoot **** I'm not a gun connoisseur.

Not that I have heard.

Easy.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Bessy on Wed May 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I've found the 40 compacts I've shot to be snappier than a full size 1911.

Also if I had to pick between a 40 compact from glock or xd. I'd go with the glock.. that's just me.

Also, ingore what Justa says about xd sights being easy to install. They are without a doubt bastards. Ask comrade burg what I'm talking about, and hear it right from the horses mouth.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby justaguy on Wed May 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Bessy wrote:Also, ingore what Justa says about xd sights being easy to install. They are without a doubt bastards. Ask comrade burg what I'm talking about, and hear it right from the horses mouth.

When you "get" it done its easy. You pay the money and pick up the gun. Strichers sell them with nights sights as well as some other places. Which would make it even easier. Sounds like a real bastard.
sochr000 wrote:How easy is it to get night-sights installed?
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Morbius on Wed May 12, 2010 2:20 pm

H&K make nice .40 compacts..lol, what kind of revolver you got..hint hint. Just joking around, i like the Xd's bore sits a little high for me but that could all be in my mind too :?
Morbius

Postby Bessy on Wed May 12, 2010 2:25 pm

justaguy wrote:
Bessy wrote:Also, ingore what Justa says about xd sights being easy to install. They are without a doubt bastards. Ask comrade burg what I'm talking about, and hear it right from the horses mouth.

When you "get" it done its easy. You pay the money and pick up the gun. Strichers sell them with nights sights as well as some other places. Which would make it even easier. Sounds like a real bastard.
sochr000 wrote:How easy is it to get night-sights installed?

Smart ASS

Also.

The XD barrel sitting high is not in your mind... it does sit fairly high compared to a glock.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Of the 3 big plasitc guns, Glock, XD and M&P I shoot the Glock best, then M&P then XD. Now if the XD has a trigger job then I put it in front of the M&P. The problem is the XD trigger jobs run abot $100 which make it expensive compared to a M&P out of the box.

I would second the CZ option or do a double stack 1911(2011) as another style. Or do you have a great 22, a ruger would be a great additional handgun.
mmcnx2

Postby monschman on Wed May 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Get it and decide yourself, if you dont like it, move it on, someone will take it. Their is no denying that they are a good quality firearm, personal preference is that though, personal.
Personally I had a g27 that i thought would be great for daily carry, not so much, way too much recoil impulse for me to want to train with it, ended up getting a g36 instead much happier. The short sight radius makes for more difficult training and the really short grip almost ensures that when you slam a mag home that you will pinch flesh in the soft part of your palm. These can all be compensated for through training, and repeated training.
One thing that i have always disliked about carring an xd is the fac that the controls stick out quite a lot form the fram and slide making carring the gun fell like its thicker than it actually is, also the placement of the slide lock lever is placed as such that i find it very difficult to maintain a proper grip without riding the thing which ensure my slide never locks back unless i shoot it thumbs out which i find an unnatural grip.
My 2c, BTW, earlier offer is good, I will forward on the information you requested.
dON
Oh before i forget, SIG sights work on an XD (easier to get and more choices), and just try to get them installed by someone who will be responsible for getting you a new sight when they screw up installation first time around. XD sights only go in or out from the right side of the dovetail and are fiercely tight, trijicons are an absolute whore to get in and out of them without modification to the dovetail of the sights
monschman

Postby rtk on Wed May 12, 2010 3:54 pm

monschman wrote:Personally I had a g27 that i thought would be great for daily carry, not so much, way too much recoil impulse for me to want to train with it

And then I had it and got rid of it for the same reason.....40 is a handful in a sub-compact frame, some people claim that it's not but for the peanut guns I think that most are better off with 9mm.

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby fatboy97 on Wed May 12, 2010 4:52 pm

I have a Glock 26, 23c and 19... Springfield XDm 9mm, and XD 9sc... and a few other guns :D

XD sc is a great gun... those that can not shoot a gun complain a lot about either their Glock's or the Springfield when they compare it to the other... to me they are both great guns. We can get into the whole 9mm vs .40S&W war, but I will not go there. I love my XD 9sc and would be willing and able to carry it anytime I'm considering carrying a subcompact... Glock 26 or XD 9sc.... and when I want to bring out the heavy weight I'll take out the SIG P226 (.40).
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby mrokern on Wed May 12, 2010 5:28 pm

I actually liked (not just didn't mind, I mean liked) .40 in the subcompact frame. Then again, I'm not really recoil adverse at all...calibers that start with 4 give me warm fuzzies.
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby rtk on Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 pm

mrokern wrote:calibers that start with 4 give me warm fuzzies.

And so do 1911's that begin with the letter "K" :lol:

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby SmoothAR on Wed May 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I own an XD40SC and it is a great little gun. The recoil is not bad at all, as this is a pretty thick sub compact. If you want to add night sights, I would recommend you find a gun smith. The XD sights are not easy to change out. If you want to use the 9 round magazines, I would highly recommend the pierce mag extension.
SmoothAR

Postby peckerhead on Thu May 13, 2010 6:15 am

My first carry gun was the XD45 Bi-Tone. It had several issues, and I ended up getting rid of it. In the years since, I've talked to lots of XD owners who are very pleased with their XDs, so apparently my experience with mine was pretty unique.

My friend and I were at the range one day; I was shooting my G21 (.45), and he was trying out his newly acquired G23(.40 subcompact). I had never fired a Glock in .40 before, so we switched for a minute. The recoil and flippiness of his G23 were very pronounced, and sight reacquisition was pretty slow. It was doable, but it'd take lots of practice to become proficient with it.

Just my $.02.
peckerhead

Next

Return to Handguns