Remington 1911 R1

Discussion of handguns

Remington 1911 R1

Postby operator4 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Has anybody bought or at least been able to try one of these out??

Just curious.
operator4

Re: Remington 1911 R1

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 am

I handled one ... typical "GI" pistol. Image

IIRC, they had/have intentions of making a "loaded" model ... at some point.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby gimmefuel on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 am

Put 2 mags through one @ a Manufacturer field day @ the local range. Very smooth, tight, fit/finish was better than the Springfield reps GI,no jams, ftf, etc.. As he said, a good "GI" model but w/ serviceable sights and a few other comforts
Liked it so much I took the S&W we had on layaway as my Father-inlaws retirement gift off and ordered one. I pick it up next week.

Might even order one for myself
gimmefuel

Postby recoilguy on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:21 pm

I have put a couple mags down range with one of these also.
I liked it....made holes real close to were i was hoping it would
never had a stopage. felt good in my hand. If a 1911 were in my
near future I would definately consider it as a top option.

RCG
99% of the Liberals tend to give all the other ones a bad name......

It's that you shoot!
recoilguy

Postby solidgun on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:19 pm

While I don't mind seeing more 1911s being manufactured by different companies as it will only bring sense of competition to other companies, I don't quite understand where this exactly fits in the market. Not quite basic and low price like well functioning RIA, not quite mid priced with options like Springfield and Kimber.
Not saying it is a bad thing, but I have noticed several companies making the same offer at this price range.....the other one that just entered the market was Magnum Research.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Flip on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:18 pm

I handled a Remington at the FL gun show a little while back. It felt good and looked like it had a fairly decent fit / finish but I wondered if it really competed well with SA or the lower end Kimbers. I still wonder why everyone wants in at the $700 price point when they really have to beat it or have a clearly better 1911 to compete. Look at Charles Daly. They switched from a lower price point to a higher one. I haven't seen their new 1911's to tell if its worth it. Armscor has very value-oriented 1911's and not many people have much negative to say about them at a far more economical price point than that.

I talked with a newb Remington rep at Cabelas about it the next day and he was all jazzed about it. Of course when I asked if they were going to be bringing out a SS version he said "Yes," ... when I asked if they were going to get a 40cal/mm version he said "Yes," ... when I asked if they were going to compete with the Armscor guns he gave me a puzzled look .... when I asked if he understood he was competing with other good quality 1911's at a slightly cheaper price point (ie SA milspec) and that they'd have to do something clearly better than the competition to compete, he didn't have much to say. I didn't get the impression he knew much of anything about handguns and that this was his first gig.

I'm just curious why a company like Remington hire one of you "fanatics" to do their marketing (fanatics in the most repsectful manner) . It seems like having someone who actually knows something about handguns might understand what they're up against and what the customer really is looking for. It seems that companies think they can just put out a 1911 and they're into the handgun market easily enough. I know a former Remington big-whig who shoots three gun and knew his business. The newbie I talked to clearly didn't.

Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby 1911fan on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:30 pm

I have seen a few, the first two were frankly horrendous. Really bad fit, lousy finish in the unseen areas, uneven lines. I was really disappointed.

THen I saw two at Bills South, huge difference, clean, well fit edges sharp, nice trigger, etc. Only thing holding me back is the billboard logo. if they ran a really classy small print logo, I would buy some. As it is, I might buy one or two and put Colt slides on them.
1911fan

Return to Handguns