Conceal Gun for Small Hands

Discussion of handguns

Conceal Gun for Small Hands

Postby Flip on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to MNGUNTALK but I thought I'd quick ask for people's opinion on a good conceal gun for a guy who has small hands. I'm a fan of the 1911's but I can't reach around for the magazine release. So far, I'm considering a Springfield XD or Glock but I'm aslo a fan of steel. If you've got other suggestions for a compact / subcompact 9, 40, or 45, let me know. I probably can't spend more than $750 but I'm willing to buy used. I wear men's size Med gloves.

Thanks,

flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Re: Conceal Gun for Small Hands

Postby Aceq2jot on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Welcome to the board Flip.

You may want to look at the S&W M&P as they have the adjustable backstrap so you can fit the gun to your hand. There are several out there right now with the Adjustable backstraps but i have found that people who have tried both of my M&P's like the way they feel and fit thier hands. Bills North has both the 40 and 9mm compacts for rent.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby onebohemian on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:54 pm

The Kahr single stacks are much smaller. There's a post on here from a couple days ago by Jerry45 ("Guns for Sale") (I think that was the topic), where he's got a Kahr CW9 for a good price. Under $400 if I remember correctly.

Can't go wrong with a Rohrbaugh in 9mm either, but that will just make me envious of your carry gun. Out of your price range as well.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Srigs on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:36 pm

A couple good one are...

1. S&W MP compact
2. S&W 3913 compact 9mm
3. Kahr P9/40
4. Kel-tec PF9/11
5. Taurus Millennium Pro 9/40/45

Try different ones at gun shows to see what fits.

Welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby JFettig on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:49 pm

M&P Compact gets my vote! I have relatively small hands(probably medium gloves too) and Its the only double stack I can reach the release on without shifting it in my hand. I had a glock 27 in the past and I couldn't reach it on there.

Jon
JFettig

Postby Rem700 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:11 pm

If a 1911 is to/too :D big forget the XD and definately forget the Glock.
Might try a 1911 with slim grips and a xtra high beavertail grip safety.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby JoeH on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:55 pm

You have LOTS of options. You just need to handle LOTS of guns :D

Grips are 3 dimensional and vary from gun to gun. The size of the grip and the location/reach to the controls are two different things too.

1911's have slim grips. It sounds like the grip is OK for you. The problem is the reach to the mag release.

Each gun is different. Don't eliminate an entire class of guns without trying several first (i.e. no dbl stacks will work for me).

Given your price range, take a look at Sig.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby 1911fan on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:26 am

My wife carries a 1911 commander ltwt and she has very small hands, The mag release movement for her is to semi rotate the gun around and then push on the mag release with her strong hand while the off hand supports the frame. it happens very fast and she is able to change mags just about as fast I can, and she does it very smoothly. Both of us prefer extended slide releases so that we can down flip the release as we get the gun up in front of our eyes.

If that does not seem to work, I have a couple of 99 walthers which use a lever instead of a push button which you may find works easier.
1911fan

Postby ree on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:58 am

Since you're a fan of the 1911 platform, how about the Springfield EMP?
ree

Postby cobb on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:11 am

Rem700 wrote:If a 1911 is to/too :D big forget the XD and definately forget the Glock.

That's for sure, if the grip is too big on a single stack 1911, a Glock or XD is going to be worst.

What do you mean by can't reach? I have to rotate a 1911 a little to reach and press the magazine release on a single stack 1911.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby DeanC on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:22 am

JoeH wrote:You have LOTS of options. You just need to handle LOTS of guns :D

That's exactly right. That's what I did. It's a pain in the ass to go to gun stores and make the guys take one gun after another out of the case. I recommend going to some of these gun shows and picking up as many guns as you can to see what fits. That's about all gun shows are good for.

http://www.crocodileproductionsinc.com/gunshows.htm
http://mwca.org/

Heck - there's one tomorrow in St. Paul - a pretty good sized one.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby JFettig on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:26 am

The mag release on a 1911 is quite a ways forward. That grip is very long in that direction.
Another one to consider is a Walther p99 compact. They don't have a conventional mag release but you use your trigger finger to release it or your thumb.

Skip the XD, thats like holding onto a brick. :D

Jon
JFettig

Postby W0THK on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 am

I have fairly small hands, too. I have a Kahr CW-9 for my carry gun. The grip is about as small as they come! The same frame is available in .40 cal, if you want more oomph.

TomK
Mpls, MN
W0THK

Postby Rem700 on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 am

I guess I actually rotate a 1911 or any other semi in my hand while inserting a new mag, It helps with looking the mag in as well.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby westhope on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:08 am

Absolutely, go to the MWCA gun show in St Paul this weekend and handle all the types. Just by your comments, be sure you try Kahr's and also the Springfield EMP (grip is shorter front to back).

I can wear a medium glove (is a snug fit but comfortable). I shoot mainly 1911's. I rotate my grip when releasing the magazine. You can also get thin grip panels for a 1911 that make the grip feel smaller. I think a Springfield Micro (45 ACP) comes with them, but not sure. You can replace them on most 1911 but the thin grip panels require a replacement of the grip screw bushing. It threads out.

I have the same dis-like of most double stack autoloaders. The grips just feel too thick.

Don't forget revolvers. Many more grip sizes are available for those.

Enjoy the hunt.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Next

Return to Handguns