Discussion of handguns

Re: I already Googled it 1911 question…..

Postby justaguy on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:19 am

This was what I was hoping for. Some answers. Thanks for all the advice. I consider my taxes my charity. The “Save the Wally” fund probably isn’t tax deductible.

I have shot both an XD and a 1911 the 1911 was awhile ago, and not much but I liked it. The XD wasn’t that long ago, and I liked it when I pulled it up the sties were right on. Well better than my Glocks, and they have 13+1. My master plan is to have both an XD and a 1911 it just takes time to get this done. There are a lot of reasons I want a 1911. One because it’s a 1911, it is Americana. Two because who wouldn’t want one? I’m not too worried about carrying something with a safety. I have been trained to turn safeties on and off mostly rifles and machine guns, and limited with a handgun. The military takes people from all different back grounds and gets them up to speed with safeties pretty fast; I don’t think their all bad. I would bet my life I could train myself back to where I was quick. If it doesn’t work out for carry I still want a dead reliable house 1911. Although I came real close to buying a 6in. GP100 that thing just says house gun (I already own 2 12ga, and an AK I know rifles are the best thing so save your breath). Not every handgun I buy has to be for carry.

So from what I got here the middle of the road $1000 gun will work for me, and last a life time. I’m not really into pretty things; I just want it to take a beating and run. Thank you for your thoughts.

Rucker when ever I do this we can go shoot it.

JoeH the M&P vs.1911 story?
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Ramoel on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 am

Call me old fashioned but if it doesn't have the Colt pony or say Property of US Government on the right side, it's just a copy.

Here is one of each (Colt and Government surplus) also an XD45 for comparison along with an XD40 SC.
Attachments
Autos Two.jpg
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby JoeH on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:03 am

justaguy wrote:JoeH I would love to hear about the M&P vs. your 1911’s. I would love to hear about some local guy that hates the 1911, and why. I would even better like to hear from someone that would say 1911’s suck don’t spend the money everyone here is a liar.

My long story is this. For two years my #1 practice gun was an XD40 5". When I decided to start shooting IDPA, I bought an M&P40 that came with a holster, mag holster, and three mags. That became my #1 gun. For months I practiced with it, shot DonL's H1 and H2 classes with it, and shot steel shoots, IDPA matches and one classifier with it.

Like you, I had a real affinity for the 1911 platform. I was drawn to them and had to have one. I bought a Kimber Custom (means 5" in Kimber speak) CDP II. It's a $1100 gun that comes with one mag. It was bought to be a carry gun. After the ~500 round break-in period, in my next 100 rounds I had 2 FTF. I want my gun to be 100% reliable. I sent the gun to Kimber and it was fixed at no charge. Since back it has been 100% reliable and I carry it regularly.

I wish that Kimber had a little more QC. I'm not looking for all that goes into a $3000 gun. Kimber just needs a gunsmith to give each gun a little TLC before they leave the factory and they'd be fine. Kimber grew very fast. They make ~50,000 1911s in the USA. Springfield makes about 5000 in the USA. If 1% aren't 100% reliable, Kimber has 500 guns on the market every year that need work. This adds up and the owners are speaking up.

From my experience, I will buy Kimber again with the expectation that it will work flawlessly. It it doesn't, I will pay the $50 to send it back. In two weeks I'll have the gun that I should have had in the first place.

Meanwhile, I was enjoying IDPA and wanted to use a 1911 in IDPA competition. So, I found a used Kimber Classic Custom Target (pre-series II) at Gunstop for $589. I bought it. I put about 50 rounds through it at the range. The next IDPA event was a classifier. I thought. "What the heck." I'll try this new-to-me gun at the classifier.

I was significantly faster with the 1911 compared to anything I had ever done with the M&P. I've since shot both back to back in the same event and I was much faster with the 1911. So, I enjoy shooting the 1911 much more than Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps. Plus, I shoot them better too! (I'd elaborate but my 6-year-old is being very demanding at the moment.)

What should you do? Listen to your gut. You may want to start with a $500 gun. Yet, if you want a higher end gun, I think that you should go for it. It's only money. :D

PS. I've shot Pat's Hawk. You won't find a better 1911.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby someone1980 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:43 pm

The 1911 and XD have the same grip angle. If you can get a good grip, they should both point the same.

When I was first looking, the choice was between those two.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby justaguy on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:52 pm

someone1980 wrote:The 1911 and XD have the same grip angle. If you can get a good grip, they should both point the same.

That’s why I brought it up. It wasn’t just coincidence. Like I said earlier I didn’t just wake up and decide this one day. I do know a little about firearms I can read and do so on the subject of firearms and self-defense. What I was looking for was pretty much what JoeH, hammer, cobb, 1911fan, jaysong, Romel, Mac, and Wally said (not so much from the last 2 but they tried). Just because I’m a smartA don’t assume I’m a dumbA too. Thank you again everyone.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby macphisto on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:00 pm

The Taurus PT1911 is a ton of gun for the money. It wouldn't be a waste of your time to give one a look.
macphisto

Postby justaguy on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:27 pm

(not so much from the last 2 but they tried) just so we are on the same page that quote was about the charity talk.

I took your advice and looked at it before you posted this. It was a little looser than the Kimbers I looked at, but at the same time it was ½ the price. While looking at the 1911’s out of the corner of my eye something shiny caught my attention. It was that dam GP100 again. That thing just feels good. I was side tracked for about 20min. just thinking “why don’t I just buy this bad boy right now”. Then like clock work I hear “don’t even ask it is Christmas, and what the hell are you going to do with that it’s huge” so like all things in my life I don’t know what to do. Maybe I’ll just get the PT1911, and get that pesky GP100, and be done with it. About the only thing I don’t like about the Taurus is it’s not made in the USA. Which doesn’t mean much because neither is Harley Davidson, but it’s the principle dam it.

I also looked at a Raptor. I would have to put different grip panels on it. The ones it comes with are thick.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby Ramoel on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:36 pm

You can't go wrong with the GP100. It's an all purpose gun that you can hunt with, carry and target shoot. Everybody should have one.
Attachments
GP100 005.jpg
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby lumbering.buffalo on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:53 pm

What you should do is take a 100 or so bucks, go down to Bill's and rent some 1911s and see how they feel, sound and look. Hit up 1911fan, Pat or hammerar, buy then lunch, range tokens or whatever in exchange for trying some of theirs. You might be surprised at what catches your eye.

When I first got into bird hunting I was Remington all the way. 870, 1100, etc.. Then I tried the 1187. When it cycled it banged, clattered and generally sounded like a tank. I was totally turned off. I tried the AL390 and the rest is history. I still have my 870s, but as far as semi-autos I doubt I'll look at a Remington again.

You might find that true when testing 1911s.

Just a thought.
lumbering.buffalo

Postby justaguy on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:03 am

This was already on the list. I just have to find the time to go there. Of course I have to come up with this great plan at Christmas. If I would have been planning ahead when ever Bills had the buy your ammo gun rental is free show I could have shot as many as I wanted for free but that would have been easy. This thread has narrowed my options enough I might be able to figure this out from here maybe, I hope. It is tough staying on track when shiny things distract you. And there are a lot of shiny things in a gun shop
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby hammAR on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:15 am

So why don't you just go get the damn "shiny new thing",
then maybe you can get back on track and focus on serious discussion regarding a 1911........... ;)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby someone1980 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:26 am

justaguy wrote:This was already on the list. I just have to find the time to go there. Of course I have to come up with this great plan at Christmas. If I would have been planning ahead when ever Bills had the buy your ammo gun rental is free show I could have shot as many as I wanted for free but that would have been easy. This thread has narrowed my options enough I might be able to figure this out from here maybe, I hope. It is tough staying on track when shiny things distract you. And there are a lot of shiny things in a gun shop

They have that twice a year as I recall.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby DeanC on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:08 am

A friend and I over a few months time rented most of Bill's 1911's and shot some other's at the Shooter's Show and borrowed a Gold Cup.

There is a difference between the lowest end and the higher end. The highest end we shot was a Nighthawk that Bill's had for rent. I don't know if they still have that one or not. However, as get towards the higher end, you experience diminishing returns. A $2000 gun is not necessarily 50% better than a $1500 gun.

I think the list of guns we tried were:
Kimber
Para
Sig
S&W
Daly
Springfield
Nighthawk
Colts

As much as I hate to admit it, I bought the Taurus and I really like.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:21 am

A simple point for a relative reference, look at the IDPA Championship Survey Results. They have listed in there the guns, holsters, ammunition, bullets, powder, etc. used by the best of the best in the IDPA game.

I will not retype the entire list or all of the models,
but the highlights by manufacturer of the 1911's are:

Springfield 39
Kimber 22
STI 18
Sig 10
Colt 9
Para Ord 8
Les Baer 6
Wilson Combat 6
SVI 3
Dan Wesson 2
Nighthawk 2
EAA 1
Rock River 1
Taurus 1

For what it is worth....................... :hartman:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby DeanC on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:28 am

Surprised that Taurus even made the list, being they've only been making 1911's for a short time.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns