buying a handgun: what do I need to know?

Discussion of handguns

buying a handgun: what do I need to know?

Postby Carl_Spackler on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 pm

i'm thinking of buying a handgun for home defense/self-protection and wanted to know what procedures I must follow beforehand. Do I need to apply for a permit to buy? If so, how do I do this? I have no plans on conceal/carry but it's certainly an option. Help a noob out
Carl_Spackler

Re: buying a handgun: what do I need to know?

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Will your wife let you keep this one in the house? :?
If not it's not going to do you any good for home protection.

:? Forgive me for pointing it out, but your posts seem to contradict each other quite often.

Very curious.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby ttousi on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Permit to purchase is obtained from your local Police Dept.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Carl_Spackler on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Will your wife let you keep this one in the house? :?
If not it's not going to do you any good for home protection.

:? Forgive me for pointing it out, but your posts seem to contradict each other quite often.

Very curious.

I wasn't planning on telling the wife about this purchase :o . I know i'm contradicting myself here but you see, it's easier to conceal a handgun from her than a rifle. she knows I want to hunt and that i've taken up a new hobby, but I keep thinking of potential scenarios where someone tries to break into our house, hence wanting a handgun. I'm not doing myself any favors here by even considering looking at a handgun purchase, because if my wife ever found out she'd probably leave me for not telling her. but, the flipside of this argument is that if some poor bastard does try breaking into our house and I happen to have a handgun ready at a moments notice she'd probably change her mind. as the old saying goes, 'it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.' I know you guys will probably give me flack for this but maybe i've just become paranoid since i've started hanging around gun forums.
Carl_Spackler

Postby cmj685 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

[quote="Carl_Spackler as the old saying goes, 'it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.' quote]

So what is more likely--a stranger breaking into your house...or your wife finding a handgun in her own house? And which one would be more lethal? :D
You know the old saying, Guns don't kill people, wive's do.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby macphisto on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:25 pm

Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
macphisto

Postby plblark on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Honey, I bought a Gun. I bought a safe to lock it in. I'm taking a class next week to learn how to use it. I know it will take some time for you to get comfortable with. If you want to take lessons, I know a good coach and trainer.

That's a rough outline of how our first conversation went.

It was a long road and she's still not comfortable with her shooting guns but has not problem with me owning them, my permit, carrying, or etc...

Just as long as SHE doesn't have to deal with the guns.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby recoilguy on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 pm

I would tell her you are buying a handgun...not ask her. Then tell her where you are keeping it so she doesn't have to look there if she doesn't want to see it. Then tell her you learned to use it safely.

If my wife told me I couldn't buy a gun, I'd let her leave.

CG
99% of the Liberals tend to give all the other ones a bad name......

It's that you shoot!
recoilguy

Postby photogpat on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

plblark wrote:Honey, I bought a Gun. I bought a safe to lock it in. I'm taking a class next week to learn how to use it. I know it will take some time for you to get comfortable with. If you want to take lessons, I know a good coach and trainer.

+1 to plblark. Its not really something you should surprise her with. Although I still think this thread is trolling...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Carl_Spackler on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:38 pm

photogpat wrote:
plblark wrote:Honey, I bought a Gun. I bought a safe to lock it in. I'm taking a class next week to learn how to use it. I know it will take some time for you to get comfortable with. If you want to take lessons, I know a good coach and trainer.

+1 to plblark. Its not really something you should surprise her with. Although I still think this thread is trolling...

why do you consider my thread trolling? once again, i'm asking a serious question that requires a simple answer.
Carl_Spackler

Postby photogpat on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Your posts/responses seem to be at odds with each other. I'm probably wrong.

Hiding a handgun from your wife isn't something that makes for a good marriage; nor good safety in the home. Think about how you're going to keep it secure, not just from her, but from visitors/guests/robbers.

Take plblark's advice, its a multi-stage process you need to be following to both assuage her fears, and gain her acceptance of your hobby. (There, I gave you a good response just in case you're not a troll).

If you ever want to see what its like to actually fire a handgun (prior to purchasing one) - I'm sure someone on here would be more than happy to meet you at the Range sometime!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby R.E.T. on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:30 pm

A home defense shotgun would be more effective.
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby White Horseradish on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Carl_Spackler wrote:I wasn't planning on telling the wife about this purchase :o .

Spectacularly bad idea.

Carl_Spackler wrote:I know i'm contradicting myself here but you see, it's easier to conceal a handgun from her than a rifle. she knows I want to hunt and that i've taken up a new hobby, but I keep thinking of potential scenarios where someone tries to break into our house, hence wanting a handgun. I'm not doing myself any favors here by even considering looking at a handgun purchase, because if my wife ever found out she'd probably leave me for not telling her. but, the flipside of this argument is that if some poor bastard does try breaking into our house and I happen to have a handgun ready at a moments notice she'd probably change her mind. as the old saying goes, 'it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.' I know you guys will probably give me flack for this but maybe i've just become paranoid since i've started hanging around gun forums.
It's pretty obvious that since we are all here we think having a gun is a great idea. You won't get an argument on that.

Having a gun in the house with a person who is unfamiliar with guns and does not know about it - that is a terrible plan. It is dishonest, but we are not really here to make that kind of a judgment. It is also unsafe, and that we are definitely qualified to point out. The image that stands out in my mind is a kid I was in school with who set himself on fire when he hid a cigarette up his sleeve so that the teacher wouldn't catch him smoking.

Plblark is a good guy to listen to on this subject, he has some experience there. I never had any kind of opposition to guns in my house - my wife went from being somewhat indifferent to getting a carry permit and being rather impressive with a 1911.

I would probably start with getting a safe and showing your wife how secure it is. Harbor Freight has small safes that will work for one or two handguns and are very inexpensive. They are secure enough when bolted down. If she is seriously averse to guns you might point out that since it is in a safe she does not have to see it or touch it. Knowing where it is she can avoid it, if she wishes.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby mnglocker on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Did you purchase the safe to keep your wife in yet?
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby bstrawse on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:16 pm

mnglocker wrote:Did you purchase the safe to keep your wife in yet?

Are they expensive? :)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Next

Return to Handguns