The 9 versus 40 or 45

Discussion of handguns

The 9 versus 40 or 45

Postby tazdevil on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:59 pm

So the 9mm seems to get a lot of hating on it lately. So much so I thought a movie explaining my recent experience at the Roger's Cabela's gun counter should be put into a movie. So here it is, albeit slightly abridged.

http://youtu.be/j93kMiDu_g8

I can't remember the guys name at the counter, but I learned the hard way a while ago, I'm seeing my local gun instructor who's also a FFL when it comes time to buy my gun. (That'd be you, Jon T, I'm heading your way soon). Only reason I was there was for other purchases at Cabela's with a gift card. Though it'd be fun to look at the guns while there. The conversation with the counter guy was more entertaining than looking at the guns.

Really, why all the 9 hatin going on???

I look at it as a relatively cheap round to shoot, decent enough for defense/carry, and very accessible. Wouldn't a .38 be technically a weaker round to? (I'm not picking on the .22, that's a fun cheap round for target, and you can teach kids to shoot with it without scaring the heck out of 'em).
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Re: The 9 versus 40 or 45

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Oh boy lets get a good seat, a beer and alot of popcorn.

Honestly, the 9 is a great round.

Does the 40 and the 45 got more stopping power? Sure, but dead is dead - a 9 will do the job just fine.

I'd rather have a 9 than nothing, and if you can shoot the 9 better than either the 40 or 45 then it is the right round for you.
mmcnx2

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 pm

What about .380ACP? :D
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby thunderoussilence on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 pm

a 9mm with glaser safety for Personal defense is perfect. 9mm cheaper to shoot. If you really need a .45 I have a thousand dollar Kimber for ya. Never fired sitting in a safe.

9mm is fine for ya.
thunderoussilence

Postby hammAR on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:Oh boy lets get a good seat, a beer and alot of popcorn..

This time, and for the first time, I am going to sit back and watch...................pass the popcorn....... :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Srigs on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I prefer 357 Mag! :stirthepot:

A Coonan is calling my name :mrgreen:
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby Dave Pendleton on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:56 pm

The introduction of more "capable" 9mm rounds (namely the Federal HST +P) convinced me to switch from .45 to 9mm as a carry caliber.

Not because the 9mm is more capable than the .45 but because I prefer my G17/G19 to my G37/G38.
Dave Pendleton

Postby macphisto on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 pm

"Are you volunteering to take two in the chest right now?" usually shuts them TFU.
macphisto

Postby goalie on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:17 pm

hammAR wrote:This time, and for the first time, I am going to sit back and watch...................pass the popcorn....... :P

I'm having a Surly myself. Arguing about pistol calibers (unless you are talking some boat-anchor SS would shoot) is about like arguing over whether a threesome is better with blonds or redheads. If you don't know what you're doing, you won't get asked for an encore regardless......
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby 45Badger on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:26 pm

My signature line says it all 8-)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby westberg on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 pm

goalie wrote:
hammAR wrote:This time, and for the first time, I am going to sit back and watch...................pass the popcorn....... :P

I'm having a Surly myself. Arguing about pistol calibers (unless you are talking some boat-anchor SS would shoot) is about like arguing over whether a threesome is better with blonds or redheads. If you don't know what you're doing, you won't get asked for an encore regardless......

I have been trying to decide between the blonds vs the redheads so much I forgot what the original topic is about..........
Oh ya shoot or carry whatever the hell ya want, there are a whole lot of people who can't argue about the caliber they were shot with.
westberg

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi everyone. I've never been able to sit out of a caliber debate thread. Not about to start now.

Just wanted to say hi though. Can't bring myself to discuss the amazingly small difference between 9mm and .45 acp again.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Please, if you aren't carrying something in .45-70 you might as well be carrying a .22... :mrgreen:
Holland&Holland

Postby mnmike59 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 am

And if you can't hit your target, you might as well spit on them.
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby tazdevil on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:44 am

Hey, I have nothing against the 357 (especially since it can shoot 38's like a cap gun, then the big charge when you really wish). I used to own the King Cobra- that was fun to shoot with either (surprised how little the 357 round actually recoiled in that gun). I just didn't understand the point of attacking a 9mm round when the 38 is smaller, and unless your shooting +P (or +P+) if I understand correctly, it's a lower powered round as well. I don't think a 38 is less of a round, nor would I attack those that use it. I just got tired of this guys b.s. line at Cabela's more than anything. For those that like the 40 or 45, more power to ya, I know the 45 had served our troops well in the past too. Seems to be kind of expensive unless your reloading though.

On another note, has anyone actually ever tested whether or not the 44 magnum can blow your head clean off? I know a 120mm can round will, but never seen the results of a 44 shooting.

BTW, I respect all rounds, as I have personally seen what a 22 round will do to a shoulder when shot directly at. Results where rather unpleasant for the shootee, major shoulder reconstructive surgery, and that's all I can say without breaking patient confidentiality. :shock:
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Next

Return to Handguns