Discussion of handguns

Postby justaguy on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:29 pm

Last edited by justaguy on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Re: Stainless Taurus 1911/first 1911.

Postby jac714 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Welcome to the 1911 addicted. :twisted: :twisted:

Enjoy it, they seem to get better after a couple thousand rounds.

I am intrigued by the Taurus, everyone I have spoken to that has one really likes them.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby hammAR on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Maybe because Taurus is 8 and SA are 7

Should have no affect on any standard sized 1911.................I intermix 7's, 8's and 10's all the time.................However, there are some issues with an Officer size.......... ;)

Anyhow, good choice...........and good write up...........
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby gunshop guy on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:16 pm

In regards to being told they are not out yet, a better answer to that is that they are not out in as large of a supply as they should be. Taurus got overwhelmed by the demand fot the PT1911 and they have had a hard time keeping up. I own one of the standard blued ones (no longer blued due to a paint job) and have loved every round I have fired out of that gun.

Welcome to the club.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Postby justaguy on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:27 pm

hammAR wrote:
Maybe because Taurus is 8 and SA are 7

Should have no affect on any standard sized 1911.................I intermix 7's, 8's and 10's all the time.................However, there are some issues with an Officer size.......... ;)

Anyhow, good choice...........and good write up...........

I’m a “boot” to 1911’s so I didn’t try real hard it wasn’t my gun, maybe it was me. So maybe with a push it would have worked. I didn’t want to “man handle” another mans gun, and I wasn’t sure, so let it be. Thank you for clarifying that. I liked the quality of the Chip’s and will buy some as well as some Wilson 47D’s. Haven’t seen any 47D but will try them.

Jac first off it’s not an addiction (that is what I tell my wife). I ONLY want a TRP and that is all (and some other non1911’s). But if you want to give it a shot I would like to hear an experienced 1911 shooters perspective on it. I’m a combat 4-5in. kind of guy, but if a better quality guy wants a shot I would listen. What I liked about the TRP was the mag well.

Like I said I thank you all for your input. I would have spent more and would have been happy. But I spent less and I’m happy. You all owe Pat an apology, because I would have bought his Nighthawk but you all talked me out of it. And my trip to Bills helped some.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby macphisto on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Glad to hear you're happy with your new PT1911! Of course, I'm not surprised, but I am a little jealous since mine isn't stainless. Are you going to dress it up with some new grips?
macphisto

Postby jac714 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:41 pm

justaguy wrote:Jac first off it’s not an addiction (that is what I tell my wife). I ONLY want a TRP and that is all (and some other non1911’s). But if you want to give it a shot I would like to hear an experienced 1911 shooters perspective on it. I’m a combat 4-5in. kind of guy, but if a better quality guy wants a shot I would listen. What I liked about the TRP was the mag well.

I told my self all I wanted was a Combat Commander, that was about 15 to 20 off the pesky things ago. It sounds like you have a good starter 1911, I am pretty sure the Taurus is a standard design 1911 so any aftermarket part (like a magwell) will be at most a minor fitting process.

If you would like some links to 1911 part site let me know.

I am also a commander and larger guy, my personal favorite is a Pro size (full frame, 4" bbl.) but have owned and shot every size 1911 on the market (except the new Springfield EMP) and the only one I don't really like is the officer size frame (CCO, Officer, Defender, and the 3" Kimber and SA guns) because the short grip bug me.

All I cna do is relate my experience but 1911's tend to "breed" in the gun safe. :D :welcome:
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Return to Handguns