Some basic 1911 questions for a 1911 Newbie

Discussion of handguns

Some basic 1911 questions for a 1911 Newbie

Postby Flip on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi All,

I'd like to get my first 1911 just for shooting but I won't have a lot of money to spend on one. While I save for it, I've got some basic questions regarding various 1911's.

1) I think I've seen that Kimber makes a 9mm (and 40 cal?) 1911. Are there other makers of 1911's that make a 9mm? I'm mainly interested for cost to shoot so that I shoot the gun a lot. Cost is an issue so I won't be able to consider Wilson Combat etc.

2) Quality; I've seen a lot of good stuff about the Taurus 1911's. How do the Springfields (in about the same price range) compare? Are there others in about the same price range that are good quality? I've also heard that there have been some complaints with the Kimbers (was it that there was some frames cracked?).

3) Are there any 1911's to avoid? I think that it's pretty obvious (to me at least) to avoid Hi Point but are there any others?

I'm interested in all of your opinions but I'd prefer that you have some evidence (including personal experience) to back up what you're saying.

Thanks,

Flip
Flip

Re: Some basic 1911 questions for a 1911 Newbie

Postby cobb on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Flip wrote:Hi All,

I'd like to get my first 1911 just for shooting but I won't have a lot of money to spend on one. While I save for it, I've got some basic questions regarding various 1911's.

1) I think I've seen that Kimber makes a 9mm (and 40 cal?) 1911. Are there other makers of 1911's that make a 9mm? I'm mainly interested for cost to shoot so that I shoot the gun a lot. Cost is an issue so I won't be able to consider Wilson Combat etc.

2) Quality; I've seen a lot of good stuff about the Taurus 1911's. How do the Springfields (in about the same price range) compare? Are there others in about the same price range that are good quality? I've also heard that there have been some complaints with the Kimbers (was it that there was some frames cracked?).

3) Are there any 1911's to avoid? I think that it's pretty obvious (to me at least) to avoid Hi Point but are there any others?

I'm interested in all of your opinions but I'd prefer that you have some evidence (including personal experience) to back up what you're saying.

Thanks,

Flip

#1 Springfield Armory and STI make 1911's in 9mm and 40 S&W.

#2 Taurus's I have no first hand knowledge of, but own several Springfield Armory 1911's and have been very satisfied with them. In a short weekend class, I fired 1850 rounds of 9mm through my Springfield Armory 9mm 1911 with zero problems. I have not heard anything about the Kimber frames cracking, I shot one for a couple years in competition and had no problems. My current carry is a Kimber CDP Pro and I trust it completely. Are you maybe thinking about the Colt 10mm Delta Elites and the frame cracking? Even that was a cosmetic problem and really had nothing to do with it's function and was fixed buy removing the cracked area above the slide stop opening in the frame.

#3 Yes there are 1911's to avoid, but once I mention them, I will be verbally proven wrong. ;)

You don't show where you are from in your avatar area, but if you live in the Mankato area, I would be more than happy to get together and let you shoot a couple of my 1911's in 9mm.
Last edited by cobb on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's. Just one warning up front, they are an addiction. As a guy with 4,a colt gold cup in .45, a para in .40, a springfield in 9 and an sti in super 38, and looking at number 5, beware of what you start.

9's are available from most of the major players, springfield, para, kimber, S&W and sti. They come in single stack and double stack, sometimes called 2011's.

Springfield makes an excellent 1911, one of best in my opinion, their loaded and trp models are wonderful machines. I've not shot the Taurus but have heard good things about them. Personally I'm not a kimber fan, JMO but I think they are not the gun they once were, but again to each their own. S&W uses an external extractor and as a true 1911 fanatic I just can't get past the look of the extractor running down the side, that said they are a great gun also.

The GunStop has an excellent selection from a number of makers and indiffent to where you buy I would suggest you stop down there to compare.

In the end you really have to pick what works for you, features, price, looks, feel and what you can shoot. Rent some or ask around, most guys at a range will let you take a few shots if you ask nice. Drop me a note if you want to chat more or need some shopping assistance.
mmcnx2

Postby cobb on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:54 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:S&W uses an external extractor and as a true 1911 fanatic I just can't get past the look of the extractor running down the side,

Ah, a true JMB fan. 8-)
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Delta Elite Frame cracking was ONLY an issue with the 10mm and 45 Gold Cup models, where extra material was removed on the frame around the trigger housing. In 9mm you got NO chance of over-stressing the frame.

P.S. Watch out who you're hanging around with, kid - Cobb is a multiply convicted 1911 junkie, and upon his last release told the handgun choice parole board: EFF you, you EFFEN retards!! I'm gonna go to the EFFEN Gopher bar tomorrow and carry a 1911, and you can kiss my EFFEN ass if you think I'm gonna carry any EFFEN Tupperware!!! #@#%)*&^_(*&_(^(&$&$^$#!$#!!!!!!

P.P.S. If you're on a budget, learn to reload with a cheap Lee press. Then you can afford a decent 1911 in 45.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:35 pm

If you get a 1911 - and I hope that you do - remember that the tighter the gun the less reliable they can be. I have a BEAUTIFUL Kimber Pro Raptor that is a joy to behold - well after a little ramp job

1911's Are great fun and you will like almost any one that you buy.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Vlad on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:40 pm

The thing that I like the most about the 1911 is that there is so much aftermarket stuff. It is probably the easiest gun to customize and get the look, feel, grips, sights or accuracy that you want. Be warned!! they are addictive, I am down to 4 at the moment but always looking... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Flip on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:44 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. A couple more questions ...

4) Is there any reason NOT to get a 1911 in 9 or 40 (i.e. is there any problem with these related to the caliber compared to the 45)

5) Is there any problems getting parts for these 1911's (i.e. 9 or 40) as compared to a 45?

Thanks again,

Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby cobb on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:56 am

Flip wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. A couple more questions ...

4) Is there any reason NOT to get a 1911 in 9 or 40 (i.e. is there any problem with these related to the caliber compared to the 45)

5) Is there any problems getting parts for these 1911's (i.e. 9 or 40) as compared to a 45?

Thanks again,

Flip

#4 I have not seen any problems with either, but I only owned a 40 S&W in 1911 for a short time and didn't shoot it much. There has been some feed issues in 9mm on the 1911 frame because of the cartridge overall length, but that seems to be very limited and the new style Springfield Armory mags are the supposed fix. The very minor feed problem, and again I think is has been very limited, I wouldn't even be concerned with, but thought I would mention it. I have 2 Springfield Armory and 1 STI in 9mm and have no problems at all. I mentioned earlier that I shot 1850 rounds in a short weekend through one of my 9mm 1911, during one of the rapid fire drills the barrel hood got so hot it actually burned my finger when I got it too high and touch the chamber area when holstering, but the gun ran perfect.

#5 No
Last edited by cobb on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby Rem700 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:02 am

Are 9mm mags any harder to find or more expensive then for 45?
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Flip on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:09 am

Seriuosly, I'm not trying to make this the endless post but the more I think about this, the more questions I have.

6) Does anyone have opinions on Para Ordianance? I'm curious about these 1911's in comparison with the Taurus, Springfield, or STI (although they look a little too pricey for what I'll be able to afford).

Thanks,
Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby jac714 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:24 am

Flip wrote:Seriuosly, I'm not trying to make this the endless post but the more I think about this, the more questions I have.

6) Does anyone have opinions on Para Ordianance? I'm curious about these 1911's in comparison with the Taurus, Springfield, or STI (although they look a little too pricey for what I'll be able to afford).

Thanks,
Flip

The paras tend to beither hi-cap or their LDA system, I am not a fan of the feel of the LDA but am seriously wanting one of the 9mm hi-cap 1911 as an ESP gun for IDPA.

My understanding is that the paras are good guns, reliable and solid.

I have also heard that Para takes pretty good carre of their customers.

A down side is on the hi-caps the grips are pretty big so if your hands are on the smaller size it might not be comfortable.

Have you shot them? I know that Bill's has a good selection to rent and they will give you credit for a certain number of rentals towards the purchase price.

On the same note I am more than willing to let you try out my Kimbers or my Hio Power if that will help with a decision.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby hammerbiker on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Rem700 wrote:Are 9mm mags any harder to find or more expensive then for 45?

Yes on both counts. My wife has a government size Kimber 9mm 1911. We've had a much harder time finding mags for this gun. She has bought Kimber, Springfield and MecGar mags. The MecGar mags are the best quality, the cheapest of the 3 and the only ones that have worked flawlessly in this gun.
hammerbiker

Postby cobb on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:55 pm

hammerbiker wrote:
Rem700 wrote:Are 9mm mags any harder to find or more expensive then for 45?

Yes on both counts. My wife has a government size Kimber 9mm 1911. We've had a much harder time finding mags for this gun. She has bought Kimber, Springfield and MecGar mags. The MecGar mags are the best quality, the cheapest of the 3 and the only ones that have worked flawlessly in this gun.

I disagree on the availability. Locally maybe yes, but good quality magazines can be found all over on the web, especially through Brownells and Midway. Hook up with a member here that has an FFL, dealer cost can be as much as 50% less than list.

I do think MecGar makes good magazines, but I think you should check out MetalForm (sp) magazines. I believe a lot of handgun manuafcuters have their magazines made by MetalForm, so they do have a pretty good product. The good Springfield Armory magazines with the front groove/indent in the 9mm are less than $20 dealer cost, also I think made by MetalForm and are the best thing going if you are a having any feed problem at all with a 9mm 1911.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby 1911fan on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:40 pm

flip

if you want to try my double stack 13-45, it is more than willing to travel to the range to shoot. My other two are out visiting shops getting some things worked on....nothing broke, just some upgrades and fancy clothes.
1911fan

Next

Return to Handguns