Police going back to 9mm?

Discussion of handguns

Re: Police going back to 9mm?

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Ammo shortage, I could understand.
The new, modern bullets used in 9 mm are also used in 40 S&W.
A bigger, heavier, bullet at faster velocities like the 155 gr & 165 gr bullets are going to out perform any 9mm +P or +P+ anyday .
Those +P+ rounds really chew up your gun too if used too much. I don't know why more depts. don't use the hi-cap 45's that are out.
With the 200 or 185 gr +P loads they are super deadly. Hitting with 479 to 535 ft-lbs of energy, they could take down a 350 lb man with one shot !
Even with the +P loads, in 45 they are reletively low pressure compared to 9mm +P, +P+, and 40 S&W. Most 40's however are built to withstand the hi pressure.
In Phila, PA cops have the option to carry 9mm, 40 or 45. I know three officers who switched to 45 acp. and they say it's the best thing the dept has done in years.
People who are against guns will never have true freedom !
Angel Eyes

Postby monschman on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 am

Angel Eyes wrote:Ammo shortage, I could understand.
The new, modern bullets used in 9 mm are also used in 40 S&W.
A bigger, heavier, bullet at faster velocities like the 155 gr & 165 gr bullets are going to out perform any 9mm +P or +P+ anyday .
Those +P+ rounds really chew up your gun too if used too much. I don't know why more depts. don't use the hi-cap 45's that are out.
With the 200 or 185 gr +P loads they are super deadly. Hitting with 479 to 535 ft-lbs of energy, they could take down a 350 lb man with one shot !
Even with the +P loads, in 45 they are reletively low pressure compared to 9mm +P, +P+, and 40 S&W. Most 40's however are built to withstand the hi pressure.
In Phila, PA cops have the option to carry 9mm, 40 or 45. I know three officers who switched to 45 acp. and they say it's the best thing the dept has done in years.

To coment on a few of your points
(a) yes
(b) no
(c) they can do
(d) money
(e) really, come on now, thats just being obnoxious, its almost like you work for the marketing depatrment at "Extreme Shok"
(f) yes
(g) yes
(h) This aint Philly
monschman

Postby plblark on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 am

The new, modern, bullet technology is used in constructing both bullets. There is a weight and shape difference at the two extremes of those different calibers and the common loadings in either differ.

Talking to a guy who was in on the SPPD decision, he said it's about availability of the ammo. This makes sense. If Federal or whomever is running 9mm on a line, it's not much problem to change which bullets go into the hopper. .40 and .45 use completely different dies.

IIRC, it was 17 months wait for .40 ammo and ~22 months for .45 in quantity.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby rugersol on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 am

I never heard anyone whine that .357 was not 'nuff?!

In fact, I never heard anyone whine when they said it was too much?!

Anyone think a .355 bullet's that much less 'n a .357 bullet?!

+P sounds 'bout right ... and I'd never question any modern pistol's durability, with a steady diet ... particularly with a stronger spring ... most of the same guns are available in .357 Sig!

If the cops ain't gettin' +P, I 'spose that'd be somethin' to consider.

Even then, it's jest splittin' hairs!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:49 pm

This is one of those rare cases where size doesnt matter all that much - dead is dead...
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby xd9 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Yeah, that poor boy in the news just died from a .22 shot to the neck. I guess If it can project and break the skin, it can be lethal.
xd9

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 pm

xd9 wrote:Yeah, that poor boy in the news just died from a .22 shot to the neck. I guess If it can project and break the skin, it can be lethal.

Anyone starting to get the point?

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby spliznat on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 am

This is what I have heard from the grape vine.....................

take it for what ya will. I have heard the switch is being made back from the .40 to 9mm because of the rise in women joing the police force. The women are having a tough time getting a grip on the .40 pistols and thus having trouble qualifying. The hand for a women is generally smaller and the 9mm pistols are more accomidating. So........ to try to avoid a gender war with the ..........mine is bigger than yours type of slander most departments are chosing the way of the 9mm. Just what I heard so say what ya will.
"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".
Major Richard Winters
spliznat

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am

There is no difference in the size of the grip in a service pistol chambered in 9 or 40 (provided the same manufacturer and line).

The smaller hands may be able to better handle the recoil in 9mm though.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Pinnacle on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:46 am

spliznat wrote:This is what I have heard from the grape vine.....................

take it for what ya will. I have heard the switch is being made back from the .40 to 9mm because of the rise in women joing the police force. The women are having a tough time getting a grip on the .40 pistols and thus having trouble qualifying. The hand for a women is generally smaller and the 9mm pistols are more accomidating. So........ to try to avoid a gender war with the ..........mine is bigger than yours type of slander most departments are chosing the way of the 9mm. Just what I heard so say what ya will.

As an IALEFI instructor I will tell you that this is well, somewhat true. Dont blame women on not being able to handle the 40 - there are plenty of good sized men out there that are not able to handle the recoil speed of the 40 with the 135gr bullets. Take shooters of equal stature and ability - give odne a 40 and gove one a 9, see who wins...

The 40 is a serious recoiling weapon no matter what you may want to believe. I DONT like it - DONT recommend it - and will only train very experienced shooters with it.

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby rugersol on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 pm

.40's typically significantly higher power-factor ... 175pf ... vs. 137pf fer 9mm ... vs. 192pf fer .45acp.

Of course .40's harder recoiling than 9mm ... in guns of nearly identical weight ... it's more powerful ... that was kinda the point.

As has been said, grip-size is typically identical, for same model/manufacturer ... no manufacturers, that I know of ... offer any variance in grip-frame size, 'tween 9mm 'n .40 ... in the same model. If anything, a .40 may even be somewhat lighter ... less metal in the breach-face ... and the bore/chamber.

However, in a pistol of significantly more mass, than the popular plastic models, .40's no big trick! ;)

That said, I believe most cops are lookin' to carry the popular plastic models. :?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:05 am

In short, bullet technology caught up. With the bonded bullets and better powders, 9mm has become a very viable cartridge.
Ultimately, there is no magic bullet, and regardless of what the .45ACP purists out there say, the handgun as a whole is a very ineffective platform for putting people down quickly. That's why God invented rifles.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Paul on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:11 am

UnaStamus wrote:In short, bullet technology caught up. With the bonded bullets and better powders, 9mm has become a very viable cartridge.
Ultimately, there is no magic bullet, and regardless of what the .45ACP purists out there say, the handgun as a whole is a very ineffective platform for putting people down quickly. That's why God invented rifles.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19369&p=215090&hilit=+combat#p215090

UnaStamus wrote:I carry combat calibers like 9mm, .40 or .45. My primary gun is a Glock 27 with night sights and a Pearce +1rd magazine grip extension, and a spare magazine in my pocket. The G27 is a combat capable pistol, and I've trained extensively with it in order to use it in sustained engagements. I am as accurate with it as I am my duty-issued G22. I carry a gun that I know I can get into down and dirty combat with.

:?:
Paul

Postby sochr000 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:08 pm

monschman wrote:
**** the police

Off-topic (like that hasn't been the last few pages...) but I love how Michael says that his arms hurt so bad he can't get his hand above his shoulder, although he later brushes his hair away from his face... :lol:
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby tman on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:35 am

sochr000 wrote:I love how Michael says that his arms hurt so bad he can't get his hand above his shoulder, although he later brushes his hair away from his face... :lol:

John McCain can't comb (what's left of) his own hair thanks to his treatment as a POW. Watch how he moves his arms sometime.

Sorry about contributing to the thread drift...
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Previous

Return to Handguns