New to Handguns

Discussion of handguns

Re: New to Handguns

Postby justaguy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm

autobahn wrote:Get a 9mm. You'll need to practice and 9mm ammo is cheaper and works perfectly fine as a defense round.

I love my XDm. If you can swing the extra cash, I'd suggest picking up an XDm and getting some of the mags that extend the handle for non-carry shooting. I think they may have these for the XD, too.

That is the one I had. It was a XD45, it was a couple years ago before the XDm though so make sure they still make it.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby Grandpa Rex on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

Welcome!

Post a request and your rough location and there are many of us happy to bring a few guns for you to try out. Spring for ammo and the range fee and many will be thrilled to show a new shooter a few options.

I am in the north metro and would be happy for another excuse to get to the range.
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Postby rukwikenuf on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 pm

hey, i'll bring a few out too... however i don't have a single gun chambered in 9mm. i have a .357mag, a .40s&w and a .45acp.
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:24 pm

the last XD sub-compact 9mm I saw, came from the factory with a flush fit magazine for concealment, and also came with an extended magazine (just a longer magazine housing, held more rounds) that had a slide over grip, which when inserted into the gun, made the grip that of a compact or fullsize XD.

Has this changed?

Otherwise, I think that particular concern of yours is not an issue.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Npederse on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:33 pm

EJSG19 wrote:the last XD sub-compact 9mm I saw, came from the factory with a flush fit magazine for concealment, and also came with an extended magazine (just a longer magazine housing, held more rounds) that had a slide over grip, which when inserted into the gun, made the grip that of a compact or fullsize XD.

Has this changed?

Otherwise, I think that particular concern of yours is not an issue.

Correct - the XD sub-compacts normally come with the flush magazine (easy to add pinky extensions to those mags) and an extended mag. You can also use magazines from a regular XD in the sub-compact, which is convenient if you either want more capacity and/or have a standard XD.
Npederse

Postby cmj685 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:06 am

I would certainly second, third and fourth the suggestions to get the gun in 9mm. I have carried a 9mm all my days and certainly never felt that the 9mm couldn't do any job I needed it to do. The decisive event in any self-defense situation is whether you can hit the target, not how big and fast and loud the rounds are that you are shooting, and the 9mm is so incredibly easy to shoot, even with +P which most of us who carry would use in our carry guns. Besides that, as the guys have said, 9mm ammo is so much cheaper that you will be able to afford to practice your shooting so that you can hit what you are aiming at. And did I say that the decisive event in any self-defense situation is whether you can hit the target, not how loud the gun is?
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby Rem700 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:54 am

Another vote for 9mm, Personal preference and all that I have owned and shot 9mm, 40 and 45 I dislike the recoil impulse of 40 and no longer have anything in 40.
I had a XD9 subcompact with the full size mags and sleeves but could feel the the mag moving in my hand while shooting cant say it ever affected my shooting but always bugged(headgames) me regardless.
Get a chance try as many as possible, Back to personal preferences and all the Glock never felt comfortable in MY hand the XDs felt better in MY hand but still felt top heavy the M&Ps felt even better in MY hand and Browning HPs and 1911s feel even better :P
Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge get out and test drive as many as possible before purchaseing.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Previous

Return to Handguns