New to Handguns

Discussion of handguns

New to Handguns

Postby MNguy4eva on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Greetings all, I'm new to this site and to the world of Handguns, but I'm very excited about purchasing my first weapon in the very near future.

I've only fired a number of handguns, but my exposure was enough to let me know that I love the Springfield xd. I also fired a Kimber ultra carry .45 but didn't feel as natural or comfortable as the XD45.

I've applied for my PTP and am simply waiting for our lovely State to get back up and running 100% so that Brooklyn Center can complete my background check and get me my permit. At that point, I'll be purchasing, probably through Thunder John, a Springfield XD40 subcompact. I may at some point decide conceal & carry and I'm living on a tight budget, so I figure the subcompact will save me some money in the future.

I'm looking for advice on where I can find accessories on the cheap. Ammo, extended magazines, etc.

Any advice you can bring to a new guy would be most welcome!

Thanks!
Do not trust this man with anything sharper than a hard boiled egg
MNguy4eva

Re: New to Handguns

Postby Terry on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Thunderjohn sells accessories as well...
Terry

Postby justaguy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 pm

The interweb is your best bet. Figure out what you want and find it on the cheap on the interweb. If you have more time then money, dollars to donuts says you get it cheaper on the interweb. MOST OF THE TIME!!!!
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Terry wrote:Thunderjohn sells accessories as well...

Buying stuff online has it's advantages in some cases (ammo is one area I've had good luck) but when you're brand new and shopping for accessories and ammo that will perform in your gun I'd stick with a local source like the person you purchased the gun from... It only takes the restocking/return freight hassles (assuming the item can be returned, most ammo can't) of one bad buy to offset what you might have paid getting the right part out of the gate, plus you've got a local option for warranty support and questions down the road.

If you're simply looking for a different source or a 'second opinion' Gunstop is just up the road in Minnetonka and staffed with good people on the reloading & firearms / accessories side.

I don't know why so many new firearms owners feel compelled to buy 32 round magazines for pistols or cheap knockoff mags (I've done it myself) but it has, without exception in my own experience, led to frustration and poor function of the weapon. My brother in law's Springfield XDm .40cal runs like a top until he throws in the jam-o-matic 32-round Promags he got with it. Buy quality magazines and it only hurts once... when buying a holster or similar accessory it often helps to have a lot of options to touch, feel and try locally but don't be a dink and use someone's store to sample goods and then go online to buy it just to save a few bucks.

The value of training can also not be understated, you may learn lessons that will save you significant time, money and frustration shooting that are impossible or MUCH more expensive to pick up on your own. (Again, speaking from personal experience...)
yuppiejr

Postby JoeH on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Welcome!

Seriously consider buying your XD chambered in 9mm if for no other reason than your tight budget. You may like shooting it more and you may shoot it better than the 40, too.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Quasar on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:19 pm

JoeH wrote:Welcome!

Seriously consider buying your XD chambered in 9mm if for no other reason than your tight budget. You may like shooting it more and you may shoot it better than the 40, too.

+1
"Stay thirsty my friends"
Quasar

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Quasar wrote:

+1

+2... great point, more ammo = more practice which is key to getting proficient. A properly designed 9mm JHP (Federal HST 124 grain, for example) is just as potent as defensive loadings in .40 as long as you do your part.
yuppiejr

Postby futbol79 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 pm

I have two XD(m)'s in .40 cal and love em. I have found the best prices and service as far as quality supplies like Mags - Holsters - Belts (you name it) from unholstered.com - Ron Westburg - a local guy who also shoots. His prices are as good or better than the web or stores. And if you are shooting in a USPSA league or IDPA league - he has sometimes brought the merchandise to the location - that saves on shipping. You won't go wrong with this guy.

And as a side note, to get the experience and knowledge of your new hand gun, join a local USPSA or IDPA league. It is well worth your time. The people are friendly and helpful, and you soon will be addicted to the sport of practical pistol shooting.

(anyway - that is what I did 2 1/2 years ago when I bought my first hand gun)
futbol79

Postby MNguy4eva on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks! I've strongly considered the 9mm option for sure. It sounds like there are options for defense style 9mm with some stopping power, so that will also weigh into the decision.
MNguy4eva

Postby MNguy4eva on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

yuppiejr wrote:
Terry wrote:Thunderjohn sells accessories as well...

I don't know why so many new firearms owners feel compelled to buy 32 round magazines for pistols or cheap knockoff mags (I've done it myself) but it has, without exception in my own experience, led to frustration and poor function of the weapon. My brother in law's Springfield XDm .40cal runs like a top until he throws in the jam-o-matic 32-round Promags he got with it. Buy quality magazines and it only hurts once... when buying a holster or similar accessory it often helps to have a lot of options to touch, feel and try locally but don't be a dink and use someone's store to sample goods and then go online to buy it just to save a few bucks.

Thanks for the input! When I mentioned an extended mag I was thinking of the extended mag built for subcompact weapons that would allow me to fit all my fingers on the grip. I can only imagine how a 32 round mag could cause problems. Sheesh!!
MNguy4eva

Postby justaguy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 pm

+3
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby MNguy4eva on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:07 pm

futbol79 wrote:I have two XD(m)'s in .40 cal and love em. I have found the best prices and service as far as quality supplies like Mags - Holsters - Belts (you name it) from unholstered.com - Ron Westburg - a local guy who also shoots. His prices are as good or better than the web or stores. And if you are shooting in a USPSA league or IDPA league - he has sometimes brought the merchandise to the location - that saves on shipping. You won't go wrong with this guy.

And as a side note, to get the experience and knowledge of your new hand gun, join a local USPSA or IDPA league. It is well worth your time. The people are friendly and helpful, and you soon will be addicted to the sport of practical pistol shooting.

I'm definitely in love with the XD's I've shot and looking forward to owning my own. I'm more than a little intimidated with the idea of an USPSA or IDPA league, but it is something i'll look into after I put about 5000 rounds down range :)
MNguy4eva

Postby justaguy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:09 pm

MNguy4eva wrote:
futbol79 wrote:I have two XD(m)'s in .40 cal and love em. I have found the best prices and service as far as quality supplies like Mags - Holsters - Belts (you name it) from unholstered.com - Ron Westburg - a local guy who also shoots. His prices are as good or better than the web or stores. And if you are shooting in a USPSA league or IDPA league - he has sometimes brought the merchandise to the location - that saves on shipping. You won't go wrong with this guy.

I'm definitely in love with the XD's I've shot and looking forward to owning my own. I'm more than a little intimidated with the idea of an USPSA or IDPA league, but it is something i'll look into after I put about 5000 rounds down range :)

Have you tried a Glock? I had both for awhile. Now I only have Glocks.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby MNguy4eva on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:24 pm

I have not fired a Glock, but I've handled a couple at Cabela's (yes, it took about 40 minutes, but I did get help at the Cabela's gun counter!). The Glock didn't feel as comfortable in my hand as the Springfield. I know I can't really judge a weapon without firing it, but it was such a noticable difference that I guess I took Glock off my list.

I'm sure as I progress in my handgun journey I'll partake in the loaner board on this site to test fire a number of brands.
MNguy4eva

Postby autobahn on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Get a 9mm. You'll need to practice and 9mm ammo is cheaper and works perfectly fine as a defense round.

I love my XDm. If you can swing the extra cash, I'd suggest picking up an XDm and getting some of the mags that extend the handle for non-carry shooting. I think they may have these for the XD, too.
autobahn

Next

Return to Handguns