What's a good price on a Beretta 92FS? Stainless?

Discussion of handguns

What's a good price on a Beretta 92FS? Stainless?

Postby Collector1337420 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm new to the board. I just found out about it. I'm glad to see there's a gun forum for MN!

I'm looking to get a Beretta 92FS (M9) and am wondering what would be a "good deal."

I think I'm going to go with stainless. I've seen used in black for about $400 and a little less than $500 for stainless.

Italian Berettas seem to go for a lot more than US Berettas, but I don't think I care about that, they are both the same, the Italian version is just "cooler" to some people.

I found a new stainless with night sights, but for $600. I'm thinking about getting the night sights because I like them and I might use it for carry sometimes, but not sure if it's worth the extra $100 or more.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Re: What's a good price on a Beretta 92FS? Stainless?

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:13 am

Depends on the nightsights, and I am not familiar with all of them, but my 50GI came stock with Heine nightsights, and unless you're in a completely dark environment, they don't have a lot of utility. So in any non-rural setting where there are streetlights and/or general large city light pollution, having them isn't going to do you a lot of good, and after the first shot the muzzle flash will pretty much wash out your ability to see them.

I think you'd be much better served to get a Beretta with Crimson Trace lasergrips, which have none of these problems, plus the intimidation factor of a red dot on a perp's chest cannot be discounted. 1911fan has a funny story about that....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby solidgun on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 am

1. Make sure you are getting the factory offered INOX version and not stainless refinishing if you are looking for value. While the refinishing (depending on which company did it) offers some nice features, but your question is related to "good price", which means, the refinish actually hurts the originality which is what Beretta 92 series has going for it in INOX version.

2. Italian vs US made.....they cost the same. The perceived added cost is really placed on by the sellers/owners. I say this as if you look at HK firearms, German made are desired and have been known to be more reliable in certain models. When it comes to a Beretta, there is no added reliability.

3. Is it worth $100 more.....I have seen it to be that price. With the night sights, I can see it worth $600 new. You cannot replace front sights on these with a pusher, so it is an option to get from factory.

Also note that the finish/material used on the controls will change the value of the 92 if you are buying used, so give some wiggle room for the price for better controls.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Shipyard on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:50 am

my advice is to get factory night sights which are nice and fresh. you can't replace the front sight yourself or locally, they must be sent in which is a hassle (someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but last i checked i wasn't...)

Sam makes some good points aboutnights sights vs. lasers.

last 92 i bought i paid $475 blued italian no nights and a PILE of mags. i've gotten them as cheap as $425 with extras. they're not as valuable as a lot of sellers think.

$500 for an inox with nights is a good point. i'd go $550 if i realy wanted it.

my $0.02. remember what you paid for this information :D
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby 1000 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 am

We have 2 92FS SS with nightsights Used 95+ cond. $ 475.00.
Terry
Minnesota DPS Certified, Minnesota BCA Approved, Minnesota POST Board Approved, NRA Certified, Minneapolis only Police and Mn/FL Carry Permit Training Center.NFA TRUST DONE HERE. http://creditcardshotgun.com/N.F.A.html
Terry,Bob,O'Neal,Peter and Mark

Postby farmerj on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 am

Last two 92F's I bought off here for less than $400 each.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Collector1337420 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks for all the tips so far guys. I asked the guy how bright the night sights still were and haven't gotten a response back yet.

It would seem $600 for INOX with night sights is a $50 to $100 too much? What if the guy says, "it appears unfired?" Is it worth it if it's new? He could just be saying that who knows.

I'm glad my HK is made is Germany if what you say is true!

I'm going to start a couple new threads in the buy/sell sub-forum saying I'm looking for a Beretta and see what people have to offer. And one for a Mossberg 500A with accessories I'm looking to sell/trade.

BTW, I've never heard of someone getting their stainless 92 after market. Any way to tell a factory INOX and one somebody had done?
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 pm

You can get a new one for $700. Black goes for $629 new.
People who are against guns will never have true freedom !
Angel Eyes

Postby Bulldog1856 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 pm

A used 92fs inox in excellent condition will generally go for $600. You may be able to find them for around $550 but will generally have some wear marks on the high points. $550-600 is absolutely reasonable for a 92 inox.
Bulldog1856

Postby farmerj on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Bulldog1856 wrote:A used 92fs inox in excellent condition will generally go for $600. You may be able to find them for around $550 but will generally have some wear marks on the high points. $550-600 is absolutely reasonable for a 92 inox.

Maybe for a new one.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby fatboy97 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Buds is probably the best location online for buying guns at a good price... and they listed an INOX for $639... so when I purchased mine for $650 locally + tax... I thought it was a good value... but if you can really find it for less, then good for you... I'm happy with what I paid.
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby sawgrass on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:33 pm

I saw two 92FS INOX at the Gunstop yesterday. One was five something and one was six something.
The number is 952-474-4570. Don't call between noon and two pm because they are usually too busy to
talk on the phone. I found a 92compact L type M INOX there a few weeks ago!
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby Collector1337420 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:52 pm

This thread is so old I'm surprised to see it revived!

As the OP I will consider it my responsibility to tell the outcome of my INOX 92fs purchase.

I found one in like new condition for $482 on gun broker. It's in great shape and shoots like new. I wish the sights were a little more accurate, the bullet doesn't go where the sights point and you can't adjust them so I have to use Kentucky windage sometimes. I think it shoots low, any tips? It's a great gun though and glad I bought it, especially at that price.

I wanted a Beretta more just for fun since shooting .45 is so much more expensive than 9mm.

Collector1337420

Postby farmerj on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Are you stacking the bull on the front sight or covering the bull with the front sight?

Beretta's, for me, always cover the bull.
Last edited by farmerj on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby Collector1337420 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:50 pm

I think I tried both. I usually cover the bull when shooting in general.

I'll make sure I cover the bull next time I shoot it and hopefully results are better.

Collector1337420

Next

Return to Handguns