Single Action Only compared to DA/SA

Discussion of handguns

Single Action Only compared to DA/SA

Postby ijosef on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:08 pm

I've noticed that a lot of pistols (such as the CZ75B and the FN FNP) offer a Single Action only variant of their popular DA/SA pistols. How much different would a SAO version be than its DA/SA counterpart.

For example, the DA/SA pistol I'm used to is the Beretta. Mostly I shoot single action, but once in a while I'll decock and shoot my first shot double action. When shooting single action with a Beretta, you notice a loose play in the trigger where the double action portion would normally be (forgive my explanation) before you feel where the single action portion of the trigger starts to engage. In a SAO pistol, would that "free travel" be eliminated? Aside from that, how different does a SAO trigger feel than a DA/SA shooting in single action mode?
ijosef

Re: Single Action Only compared to DA/SA

Postby Norsesmithy on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Some handguns decock instead of being able to be carried "Cocked and Locked". SA only versions of these guns can be.
Norsesmithy

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Most straight single action pistols like a Colt 1911 for example have a short, crisp, trigger with very little or no creep.
They can be carried cocked & locked {Preferred method} or with an empty chamber.
The newer pistols with a hammer & drop safety can be carried with the hammer down and round in the chamber but not many people do this.
I always carried a 1911 cocked & locked.
People who are against guns will never have true freedom !
Angel Eyes

Postby David on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:44 am

I considered getting a SIG 220 in SAO, but after handling one I found the trigger to be better on the SA/DA version. Haven't tried any other brand. I guess I'd want to try one before buying, so I'd find a store that had one in stock rather than order one.
David

Return to Handguns