Waiting on XD 45 to come in !

Discussion of handguns

Re: Waiting on XD 45 to come in !

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

OMG, a Cartoon ! :o :roll:
First off I never said Glocks blow up. If that were the case I wouldn't have bought my 21 or 19 !
The rust issue was a problem on early XD stainless models, not the melonite models. It since then has been corrected.
People think because a Glock or XD is utilitarian you don't have to clean or oil them, well they are wrong !
Any gun will rust in due time without proper maintenance. I do agree that it is a personal prefrence and only stated why I prefer the XD over a Glock.
Im not going to get rid of my Glocks however as I like them as well just differently, in a more utilitarian way. Being a 1911 fan, I just gravitate closer to the XD as my favorite. This is similar to the S&W revolvers vs Ruger Revolvers. I like Rugers because they are more rugged ! Same in this case.
People who are against guns will never have true freedom !
Angel Eyes

Postby grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:30 pm

shooter115 wrote:Man you Glock boys are a sensative bunch aren't you. :lol:

Ford vs Chevy. Really no clear winner, it's all up to what feels and points better for the individual. That's going to be different for everyone. Seems it's only the Glock crowd that gets all defensive whenever somebody decides they prefer something different.

Personally for me the winner is XDm. I've owned 2 Glocks and for me the XDm is far more comfortable in the hand and I shoot it better. The stock trigger on the XDm is also far better than any factory Glock trigger I've ever squeezed. I'm going to get my third as soon as I come across a 5.25 in .40.

As far as the loaded chamber and cocked indicators being redundant goes. I carry an XDm 3.8 SC in .40 everyday, with an IWB hoster and a tucked shirt, I can clearly feel the state of both through a shirt without looking, same goes for in the dark (i.e. checking the one I keep in the nightstand before bed). Yes I know in the back of my mind that it's ready to go, but it's reassuring to be able to check just by feel.

On the grip safety. Funny.....I never really hear about anyone complain about having it on a 1911. Where is the down side?
an as opinion

Funny, I can also "feel" (if for some reason I was clueless as to the state of my pistol) if my Glock is loaded and cocked. The extractor also acts as a loaded chamber indicator, the fact that the trigger is forward lets me know it's cocked. Using existing parts as tactical indicators seems to make more sense than adding extra gimmicks. If his post was stated as "in my opinion" it would be one thing, but it wasn't. Glock fanboys are no more sensitive than the rest, it just seems Glocks are the usual whipping post for XD fanboys.

The downside to a grip safety IMO is that a firearm CAN be drawn quickly in a defensive situation in a way that the shooter does not grip high enough to activate the grip safety, particularly on the XD models with longer grips. Only if you fail every other aspect of firearm safety would a grip safety be useful. The best safety resides between the shooters ears.
Last edited by grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:30 pm

grousemaster wrote:
Angel Eyes wrote:You like Glock better and I like XD better. Both pistols were tested side by side in a shootout and both shot about equal. So it doens't make either inferior in that respect.
Cosmetically however, the XD has the Glock beat ! I like beefy, rugged guns. The XD is both ! I compared both side by side, the extra gadgets don't bother me. If fact, I like bells and whistles. So of course im going to like the XD better. Over 3000 law enforcement agencies use or approve it's use. It can't be all that bad if that's the case.

You like beefy rugged guns, I like light weight rugged guns. What purpose could extra weight serve, especially for carrying? A high point is pretty "beefy" as well! If you compare agencies using Glocks to Xd's it's not even close. I don't believe 3,000 agencies "use or approve" the XD, could you provide a reference? The XD does not have the Glock beat cosmetically, they are both equally unattractive.

The 3000 quote comes from Springfield Armory themselves. They should know how many angecies they sell in bulk to !
Angel Eyes

Postby shooter115 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 pm

grousemaster wrote:[youtube=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ[/youtube]

This was awsome....First time I had seen it. LMAO
shooter115

Postby grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Angel Eyes wrote:
grousemaster wrote:
Angel Eyes wrote:You like Glock better and I like XD better. Both pistols were tested side by side in a shootout and both shot about equal. So it doens't make either inferior in that respect.
Cosmetically however, the XD has the Glock beat ! I like beefy, rugged guns. The XD is both ! I compared both side by side, the extra gadgets don't bother me. If fact, I like bells and whistles. So of course im going to like the XD better. Over 3000 law enforcement agencies use or approve it's use. It can't be all that bad if that's the case.

You like beefy rugged guns, I like light weight rugged guns. What purpose could extra weight serve, especially for carrying? A high point is pretty "beefy" as well! If you compare agencies using Glocks to Xd's it's not even close. I don't believe 3,000 agencies "use or approve" the XD, could you provide a reference? The XD does not have the Glock beat cosmetically, they are both equally unattractive.

The 3000 quote comes from Springfield Armory themselves. They should know how many angecies they sell in bulk to !

can you name a few large agencies that issue XD's or agencies that Springfield "sells in bulk" to? I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never heard such a stat.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:34 pm

shooter115 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:[youtube=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ[/youtube]

This was awsome....First time I had seen it. LMAO

lol, it's great. It pretty much sums up the argument.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:43 pm

The rust issue was a problem on early XD stainless models, not the melonite models.

The early XD models did not have melonite. It wasn't until the reported blued finish issues that Springfield decide to take the HS2000 and add a Glock finish to it. I know, a buddy of mine has an early XD9 with the blued finish almost completely worn off. I think if he sends it in Springfield will refinish it for free.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby shooter115 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:01 pm

grousemaster wrote:

Ford vs Chevy. Really no clear winner, it's all up to what feels and points better for the individual. That's going to be different for everyone. Seems it's only the Glock crowd that gets all defensive whenever somebody decides they prefer something different.

Personally for me the winner is XDm. I've owned 2 Glocks and for me the XDm is far more comfortable in the hand and I shoot it better. The stock trigger on the XDm is also far better than any factory Glock trigger I've ever squeezed. I'm going to get my third as soon as I come across a 5.25 in .40.

As far as the loaded chamber and cocked indicators being redundant goes. I carry an XDm 3.8 SC in .40 everyday, with an IWB hoster and a tucked shirt, I can clearly feel the state of both through a shirt without looking, same goes for in the dark (i.e. checking the one I keep in the nightstand before bed). Yes I know in the back of my mind that it's ready to go, but it's reassuring to be able to check just by feel.

On the grip safety. Funny.....I never really hear about anyone complain about having it on a 1911. Where is the down side?
an as opinion

Funny, I can also "feel" (if for some reason I was clueless as to the state of my pistol) if my Glock is loaded and cocked. The extractor also acts as a loaded chamber indicator, the fact that the trigger is forward lets me know it's cocked. Using existing parts as tactical indicators seems to make more sense than adding extra gimmicks. If his post was stated as "in my opinion" it would be one thing, but it wasn't. Glock fanboys are no more sensitive than the rest, it just seems Glocks are the usual whipping post for XD fanboys.

The downside to a grip safety IMO is that a firearm CAN be drawn quickly in a defensive situation in a way that the shooter does not grip high enough to activate the grip safety, particularly on the XD models with longer grips. Only if you fail every other aspect of firearm safety would a grip safety be useful. The best safety resides between the shooters ears.

I actually just went to the mens room to test your theory on the grip safety. You would need one really screwed up (near impossible) purchase on the gun not to activate it.

Can't we all just get along and be happy ;)
shooter115

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Here are some Police agencies that both issue and approve for carry XD's
Plano Texas issues XD 45's, Northfield, NC , vandergrift PA., Hawthorne CA, Fargo ND, Colorado Springs CO, Las Vegas NV, West Chester PA. are a few. LAPD allows their use after they had problems with a batch of Glock 21's that had misfire problems
Angel Eyes

Postby grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Angel Eyes wrote:Here are some Police agencies that both issue and approve for carry XD's
Plano Texas issues XD 45's, Northfield, NC , vandergrift PA., Hawthorne CA, Fargo ND, Colorado Springs CO, Las Vegas NV, West Chester PA. are a few. LAPD allows their use after they had problems with a batch of Glock 21's that had misfire problems

I've seen a few XD's riding in the holsters of Jamestown Police officers (North Dakota). They are a fine weapon, don't get me wrong.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:10 pm

shooter115 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:

an as opinion

I actually just went to the mens room to test your theory on the grip safety. You would need one really screwed up (near impossible) purchase on the gun not to activate it.

Can't we all just get along and be happy ;)

Your XD sub compact has a shorter grip than the standard XD's, I stated that the issue could arise with the longer grips, not the sub-compacts. Yes, we can all get along, sorry. :D

If I was an XD fanboy, my complaints on the Glock platform would be the lack of supported chamber, inability to fire lead projectiles, and sensitivity to limp writing.
Last edited by grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:15 pm

I think both guns look great in Kydex Holsters ! It kind of goes with the polymer frame I suppose.
Steel guns look better in leather. That's another thread however.
Angel Eyes

Postby grousemaster on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Angel Eyes wrote:I think both guns look great in Kydex Holsters ! It kind of goes with the polymer frame I suppose.
Steel guns look better in leather. That's another thread however.

I love my Galco King Tuk for my Glocks.....highly recommend that holster.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby shooter115 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:23 pm

grousemaster wrote:

Can't we all just get along and be happy ;)[/quote]

Your XD sub compact has a shorter grip than the standard XD's, I stated that the issue could arise with the longer grips, not the sub-compacts. Yes, we can all get along, sorry. :D[/quote]

Was one step ahead of you on that one. Brought my spare mag with which is a full size mag with the grip extension. Same results either way.

You would be in big trouble already if you were to grip any pistol in a fashion that would not engage the grip safety on an XD.
shooter115

Postby Angel Eyes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 pm

If I ever decided to carry IWB that would probably be the holster I use.
Unforttunately im not such a thin guy and IWB holsters are real uncomfortable to me, and never seem to sit right.
I go OWB with a DeSantis speed scabbard and wear long boxy casual dress shirts so it's no biggie.
I have a Kydex on order for my XDM 40 compact from Armodillo Concealment. I got it in Urban Digi Camo with mag holder too.
Angel Eyes

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns