Why Glock?

Discussion of handguns

Why Glock?

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:53 am

Ok, I am new to handguns. And I am not trying to upset anyone. But can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with a Glock? Personally I think they are hideous looking. But looks don't mean much when compared to effectiveness. Sway me to the dark side. I just don't get it.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Re: Why Glock?

Postby rtk on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Anokamnman wrote:Ok, I am new to handguns. And I am not trying to upset anyone. But can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with a Glock? Personally I think they are hideous looking. But looks don't mean much when compared to effectiveness. Sway me to the dark side. I just don't get it.

They work everytime and they aren't that expensive, easy to work on, parts are everywhere and you can find any type of holster that you could ever dream of for them.....If so many P.D.'s carry them, that works for me.

M&P and XD are also good choices.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Anokamnman wrote:Ok, I am new to handguns. And I am not trying to upset anyone. But can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with a Glock? Personally I think they are hideous looking. But looks don't mean much when compared to effectiveness. Sway me to the dark side. I just don't get it.

No you got it. Looks don't mean jack and gaston glock built a gun that would work for almost any idiot with a basic set of handgun skills. It was the first polymer frame that was widely accepted as reliable enough for a duty weapon. They are incredibly simple, less moving parts to fail, and that just infuriates 1911 fanboys who think theirs is the only design that works!

Since then the M&P and the XD have come along and are standing up to compete directly with a glock for reliability. The differences are minor and allow for personal preference. Someone willl be along shortly to try and say glocks suck. Remember its usually the indian in their case, not the arrow!
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby tullibee on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:04 pm

they're no more/less hideous than most of what's out there. They hit it big years ago marketing to police forces and doing good deals to outfit entire departments with the same duty weapons (helped them be able to just buy/supply one ammo, mag, gun, whatever)

they have a functional design that fits a lot of hands. when I first got my G22, I thought it felt fine in my hand, but I couldn't hit with it very well the first range trip. so much so, that I considered getting rid of it right away. the second time I took it to the range, I hit OK with it, and the third time I was doing pretty good (well, for me anyway!) so I kept it and now it's my primary carry.

if it fits your hand, feels good and points where you expect, try one out - if it fails any of those criteria, then move on to something else. There are plenty to choose from.

They may not be the finest looking hardware out there, but they do work for a lot of people, and you can generally find them fairly cheap.
tullibee

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Dang rtk too quick as usual...
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Anokamnman wrote:Ok, I am new to handguns.

There's an M&P 9mm in the classified section that would get your foot in the door. You would then not have a "hideous" Glock.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=24914
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby rtk on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:08 pm

EJSG19 wrote: Someone willl be along shortly to try and say glocks suck.

:high5: :rotf:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby samginko on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Cheap, reliable, trend setter 25yrs ago. But, now? You can buy any pistol for $500 and it would be just as good or better than a Glock. In the 'for sales section' you can buy a fnp-9 or fnp-40 for $389! Very few shooters will ever consider Glock to be better than fnp. I am currently partial to S&W M&P.

:D
However, you will pry my G17 from my cold dead fingers.
samginko

Postby samginko on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Wait wait we are being flamed!!!
samginko

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 pm

rtk wrote:
EJSG19 wrote: Someone willl be along shortly to try and say glocks suck.

:high5: :rotf:

Glocks suck.

Personally I don't care for them. They naturally point high for me.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:50 pm

I appreciate the input. I own one handgun. I hate it but the wife loves it and wanted it. It's a Taurus pt111. Blah.

Now it has come time to get something that I want. Some thing that would be my carry weapon. So I am trying to keep an open mind. I have rented the xd40. Liked it. Borrowed my buddy's FNP-40. loved it. Just too bulky to carry. Wanted to see if y'all could sway me towards Glock. Thinking I will skip class next week and go rent one of them to test fire. Any suggestions on which .40 or .45 Glock that would be a great carry piece? I don't need it uber small. Just don't want something big like a full size 1911.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby ijosef on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:52 pm

EJSG19 said it best - Glock introduced a pistol that was incredibly reliable, easy to operate/disassemble/clean, and reasonably affordable. They are so common nowadays that they have arguably the largest aftermarket support of any pistol out there. In fact, there are so many aftermarket parts that you could build an entire gun out of aftermarket components and have a Glock that is 0% original.

Glocks were the first polymer framed, striker fired pistol to be widely accepted and have inspired a lot of other entrants into the tupperware gun market. Almost every major handgun manufacturer makes a polymer framed, striker fired pistol now.

Glocks aren't the most ergonomic or sleekest guns out there, but they usually work 100% right out of the box. That's more than can be said for a lot of older designs. I love 1911s, but how many guys have purchased a pricey new Kimber only to have to work out the glitches first? Every Glock I've had (four so far) has worked without issue from day one.
ijosef

Postby rugersol on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Don't get a "large" frame Glock (10mm or .45) ... otherwise, if the slide starts cutting yer hand, ya won't be able to put one of these on ...

S&W M&P's got their's built-in.

XD's got such a high bore-axis, ya'd never need one.

All their stock triggers suck. And someone makes a very nice replacement, fer each one.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Anokamnman wrote:I appreciate the input. I own one handgun. I hate it but the wife loves it and wanted it. It's a Taurus pt111. Blah.

Now it has come time to get something that I want. Some thing that would be my carry weapon. So I am trying to keep an open mind. I have rented the xd40. Liked it. Borrowed my buddy's FNP-40. loved it. Just too bulky to carry. Wanted to see if y'all could sway me towards Glock. Thinking I will skip class next week and go rent one of them to test fire. Any suggestions on which .40 or .45 Glock that would be a great carry piece? I don't need it uber small. Just don't want something big like a full size 1911.

I will show my ability to not be a politician here and speak well for the other side.

My wife's four inch kimber conceals MUCH slimmer than my G21 does. But I have never founf an occasion where I want to carry, that a tshirt over the G21 couldn't provide adequate concealment. But I am a tall guy and that's my set of circumstances. If you are trying to find a glock that conceals smaller than a 1911 government size, go compact, subcompact or slim frame. Even then it is apples to oranges.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby 1911fan on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Point one. Glock has an amazing marketing campaign. Gaston spent a boat load off money getting his gun planted in movies. It worked.

Point two. Glock hand guns are like Camry's. Dead reliable, boring as hell, guns that fit no one but almost fit most people.

To me, they are the gun for the non gunner.
Last edited by 1911fan on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1911fan

Next

Return to Handguns