Glock Military and LE Special Pricing

Discussion of handguns

Re: Glock Military and LE Special Pricing

Postby Countryfried Frank on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:26 pm

First off, I respect your opinion and how you choose to spend your money is your business. Don't but a Glock. Saying that this shouldn't be a factor in how you choose with whom you do business is no different than saying people need to just conceal better when they go somewhere that is posted. We each need to make our own decisions and be responsible for them. I do have to point out one inconsistncy though:
crbutler wrote:...Pretty soon, everyone is special, and god forbid that you take away MY bennie? To be honest, some of you are sounding kind of like the DFL'ers whenever we propose a welfare cut....
At the risk of excessive self-aggrandizement, vets are special because of what they have done. The welfare recipients I have observed receive benefits for what they fail to do. Additionally, there is a significant difference between Glock or Applebee's choosing to offer a tribute to a group of people and a governmnet compelling a population to support a class of people. Your point is understood but I would appreciate it if you would refrain from comparing my shipmates to welfare recipients in the future.

crbutler wrote:As to all of you that served, you do have my thanks and gratitude for your service.

You're welcome. It was my pleasure.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby crbutler on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Point noted.

Admittedly, its not the same, and probably not the best analogy, but the point I was trying to make was how shrill the personal comments some were making about me just because I dared to say I disagreed with it.

Thanks for getting the point though.
crbutler

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 pm

crbutler wrote:Point noted.

Admittedly, its not the same, and probably not the best analogy, but the point I was trying to make was how shrill the personal comments some were making about me just because I dared to say I disagreed with it.

Thanks for getting the point though.

It's not that you disagree with it, it's how you said it.

I can't comment of on others service, and rarely talk about my service(national guard... no deployments except the flood of 97). I didn't do it for the check(it was a joke) or the benefits. I did it mainly because it was the right thing to do and the recruiter made the perfect pitch to a 17 yo "how'd you like to get paid to blow **** up?" After my service to the state(in my case) you won't see me take advantage of anything I've earned because of it, I'll the those for that actually did something and deserve them.

You made mention that you have given firearms to vets and former service members as a way of saying thank you, how is that any different then any of the previously mentioned companies? If it means a couple extra buck out of my pocket so be it. I know I don't actually thank them enough as is.

That being said my rant is done.

Thank you to the service members and LEOs on the board, :salute:
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby BigJnMn on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:15 pm

crbutler - your analogies are false and your logic is unsound. In the end you are attempting to make the case that PRIVATE companies are somehow running the same entitlement schemes that the government runs. That analogy does not work. As a tax payer, you are compelled to participate in robbing Peter to pay Paul. As a tax payer, you have no legal choice in the matter. On the other hand, if you feel disrespected and disenfranchised over a companies desire to offer a discount to a group of individuals, you have every freedom to not participate. I for one do not have an issue paying the extra $10 premium passed on to me for Glocks or any other companies recognition of our military and law enforcement community. And in Glocks case, if there is any type of markup it's not because of individual Mil/LE taking deserved advantage of a discount; it's probably because Glock has been practically giving away their guns to police agencies for the last 20 years.

You're pretending to stand behind some ill gotten principle similar to that of Mr. Pink's no tipping policy. Of course you have the right to do that but it just comes across as ungrateful and uninformed.
BigJnMn

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:10 am

crbutler wrote:I guess I don't see it the way that most of you do. I am not denigrating the service that LE/Military folks do; rather I don't care for the divide and conquer business model these companies are using. Certainly, its their right to do so, and if it does better by them business wise.

If I want to thank someone, I do it myself, not by proxy, and certainly not by the method of taking from Paul, to give to Peter.

A discount given to one group will result in an increase in the price paid by others. Its pretty simple economics.

You say I have an entitlement mentality? Nope. I just don't think we should be playing that card at every stretch. Pretty soon, everyone is special, and god forbid that you take away MY bennie? To be honest, some of you are sounding kind of like the DFL'ers whenever we propose a welfare cut.

Now be honest, didn't you all get paid? Didn't you all sign up voluntarily to do what you did, knowing that for the most part, the paycheck from uncle sam, and a feeling of doing what is right was why you did it? I really doubt any of you went in to the service saying, yeah, I'm doing this because I will get a Glock for 25% off and free dinner at Applebee's once a year.

How many businesses give a freebie to a coal miner because he's working in the single statistically most dangerous job in the US? Face it, it isn't the danger either.

I have given guns (admittedly not glocks but hunting guns) to friends some of whom were in the service because they could not afford one. It made me feel good to do so, but I sure didn't ask everyone else to pony up some scratch so I could give them the gun (and claim it was all my doing).

My point is that hidden discounts for some mean that the rest of us pay more for whatever we are buying because it makes the giver feel better. As I said, I am not saying I won't buy a product that gives someone else a discount, but rather I will not be a good loyal customer to a firm that does not treat me like their best customer. Pretty simple.

I respect service members, and feel that the country owes the combat service members a hell of a lot more than we give them, but that is something that the country owes them, not a special pass at every chance. GI bill? Great idea, even better idea when it was first proposed, and the grunts actually got something out of it. Heck, I think the idea of giving any CMOH awardee tax free status for life is a great idea. I have had many family members in the service, and yes, they would not take me over a hearing loss. Didn't change my mind about the service at all when I busted the commissioning physical. Tried again in 02, figuring they might need a doc even if he can't hear too good. No dice. So what?

As to all of you that served, you do have my thanks and gratitude for your service.

So you're against a private company offering discounted merchandise to a select group with which you can enter into commerce voluntarily...

And for program's like the GI Bill which are funded via taxation which is compulsory under threat of violence and imprisonment?

Damn! I told myself I wasn't going to get into this! I don't even like Glocks anyway, give me a 1911 any day!
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby MrVvrroomm on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:19 am

There's a douche bag in this thread. Has anyone figured out who it is yet?
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby TH3180 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:21 am

MrVvrroomm wrote:There's a douche bag in this thread. Has anyone figured out who it is yet?

How many guesses do we get? 8-)
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby bulletproof on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 am

BigJnMn wrote:crbutler - your analogies are false and your logic is unsound. In the end you are attempting to make the case that PRIVATE companies are somehow running the same entitlement schemes that the government runs. That analogy does not work. As a tax payer, you are compelled to participate in robbing Peter to pay Paul. As a tax payer, you have no legal choice in the matter. On the other hand, if you feel disrespected and disenfranchised over a companies desire to offer a discount to a group of individuals, you have every freedom to not participate. I for one do not have an issue paying the extra $10 premium passed on to me for Glocks or any other companies recognition of our military and law enforcement community. And in Glocks case, if there is any type of markup it's not because of individual Mil/LE taking deserved advantage of a discount; it's probably because Glock has been practically giving away their guns to police agencies for the last 20 years.

You're pretending to stand behind some ill gotten principle similar to that of Mr. Pink's no tipping policy. Of course you have the right to do that but it just comes across as ungrateful and uninformed.

John F. Kennnedy once said "War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

Do you see any organizations offering discounts to people who have served in the US peace corps or other such volunteer organizations? Soilders are not the only people who volunteer their time, money or lives to protecting and bettering others.

Would you feel the same if Glock offered the New Black Panthers a similar discount?
bulletproof

Postby BigJnMn on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 am

bulletproof wrote:John F. Kennnedy once said "War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

Do you see any organizations offering discounts to people who have served in the US peace corps or other such volunteer organizations? Soilders are not the only people who volunteer their time, money or lives to protecting and bettering others.

Would you feel the same if Glock offered the New Black Panthers a similar discount?

crbutler has an issue with any group getting a special break so your attempt to substitute pacifist or race based groups for Military or law enforcement groups does not work.

As for other groups getting discounts from different manufactures, if I have a problem with it, I can choose to spend my money somewhere else.
BigJnMn

Postby bulletproof on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:21 am

BigJnMn wrote:crbutler has an issue with any group getting a special break so your attempt to substitute pacifist or race based groups for Military or law enforcement groups does not work. As for other groups getting discounts from different manufactures, if I have a problem with it, I can choose to spend my money somewhere else.

crbutler seems to want people to be treated equally regardless of what they've done or who they know. I'm not sure that's a bad philosophical stance, but it's certainly not realistic.
bulletproof

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:41 am

(insert troll feeding rant here)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Treat me good I'll treat you better.
Treat me bad I'll treat you worse.

Respect is a two way street gentlemen.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:10 am

bulletproof wrote:
BigJnMn wrote:crbutler has an issue with any group getting a special break so your attempt to substitute pacifist or race based groups for Military or law enforcement groups does not work. As for other groups getting discounts from different manufactures, if I have a problem with it, I can choose to spend my money somewhere else.

crbutler seems to want people to be treated equally regardless of what they've done or who they know. I'm not sure that's a bad philosophical stance, but it's certainly not realistic.

Occupy MNGunTalk? :)
yuppiejr

Postby BigJnMn on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 am

bulletproof wrote:crbutler seems to want people to be treated equally regardless of what they've done or who they know. I'm not sure that's a bad philosophical stance, but it's certainly not realistic.

I think it is a horrible stance. If I can do something better than someone else I want to reap some benifit. I don't want to be treated like everyone else especially if I have skill or talant.

To dumb everyone down to the lowest common denominator is the only way to make everyone equal because someone is always going to be better at something.

This whole treat me equal, my feelings are hurt, if I'm not special no one should be, philosophy is crap.

There are groups of men and women who do things that better our society or protect our way of life that others won't do or cannot do. These groups are not confined to military or law enforcement. They exist in every part of our society and they should be recognized because they are not equal to the lowest common denominator.

The fact that private companies routinely recognize some of these groups through various discount programs is their business and I personally think that it is in the finest American tradition to do so.
BigJnMn

Postby bulletproof on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:49 am

BigJnMn wrote:I think it is a horrible stance. If I can do something better than someone else I want to reap some benifit. I don't want to be treated like everyone else especially if I have skill or talant. To dumb everyone down to the lowest common denominator is the only way to make everyone equal because someone is always going to be better at something. This whole treat me equal, my feelings are hurt, if I'm not special no one should be, philosophy is crap.

The United States Declaration of Independence states that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. Do you think that's a horrible stance as well?
bulletproof

Postby Pezhead on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Famous Dave's gives out a free meal once a year to those people named Dave, David. It's not that far off from this discussion in a sense. Are people not going there now?
I wasn't sure i even wanted to post that. It's just food for thought.
Pezhead

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns