Glock Military and LE Special Pricing

Discussion of handguns

Postby Mdclinks on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

I am just wondering about the Military and LE special pricing. A good friend of mine joined the army about a year ago and is now looking to get a handgun. Does anybody know how the pricing works? Does it include veterans? Any info would be appreciated.
Mdclinks

Re: Glock Military and LE Special Pricing

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Mdclinks wrote:I am just wondering about the Military and LE special pricing. A good friend of mine joined the army about a year ago and is now looking to get a handgun. Does anybody know how the pricing works? Does it include veterans? Any info would be appreciated.
Active duty or reserve military personnel or retired with "retired credentials" ie: retired military ID are eligible to Glock's law enforcement firearms discount.

A standard 9mm or 40 Glock with regular sights is $398.

Here is a link to a large Glock LE dealer with details: http://www.edspublicsafety.com/discount.html

Here's a price sheet for LE pricing: http://www.edspublicsafety.com/glockindividual.html
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby crbutler on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Good to see that.

Now I know just how much to spend on a Glock. (and no more...)

And no, I'm not LEO or Military, but what they can afford to sell to one private citizen, they can afford to another.
crbutler

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Except these sorts of offers are made to a specific group of people as a way of saying "thank you" for something they feel is valuable. It probably cuts into their profit margin quite a bit for the unit and wouldn't sustain the company if it was their SOP.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Treat me good I'll treat you better.
Treat me bad I'll treat you worse.

Respect is a two way street gentlemen.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby bpacman on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 pm

crbutler wrote:Good to see that.

Now I know just how much to spend on a Glock. (and no more...)

And no, I'm not LEO or Military, but what they can afford to sell to one private citizen, they can afford to another.

Let us know how that works out for you. Some of us had to take an oath and devote a large portion of our life for such a privilege.

If you check other manufactures like Ruger, Sig Sauer, S&W websites you will be able to obtain the same price list. Some are definitely drool material. :)

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 pm

The price list I linked above is for "blue label" Glocks. Your standard white label, civilian Glocks are more. Dealers pay more for a white label Glock than the price of the blue lablels.

In other words, your local, non-LE dealer is spending more to get a Glock than an individual officer can buy one for.

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby crbutler on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Actually, guys it was intended to be a sarcastic response.

I do stand by it though.

Not to say I might not buy one at a higher price if I really need it, but given that I already have a handgun or two, I can be much more picky now. Unless I get it at LEO pricing or better, I doubt I am buying another Glock. ( or Ruger, or so on.)

Glock and pretty much any other manufacturer who gives a sizable discount to one group of people because they are "special" for whatever reason have a pretty uphill battle to get my loyal business, unless they include me in the "special" group. Why do the GSSF guns fall in with mil/LE pricing? What "dues" did they pay?

I know a few LEO's who buy things like this and use it to make a little extra money. Is that what this is all about?

The mil/LE deal is plain and simple marketing- get the line guys to tell the brass they want a certain brand of gun, and make up the limited LE private sales on the contract with the departments. Sorry, the guy in Austria really could care less about your service, it has nothing to do with that, although they sure hope you think so. That the rank and file cops like Glock has undoubtedly gotten them some business they would not otherwise have, as most union dominated industries are pretty protectionist (why else would anyone have brought a sigma?)

So screw the average shmoe by overcharging for the gun if he buys it, and then screw him again by getting the cops to want it and charge the taxpayers for them when they get selected as a duty weapon by a number of officers working for a selection board. Don't even think that the manufacturers don't wine and dine the guys who make those decisions (who are by definition public servants).

Firearms are one of the highest margin items to manufacture that I have knowledge of. Economy of scale with modern manufacturing techniques and they are cheap.

So simply, I don't like how they conduct business in this regard, so I will exercise my right to not buy them.
crbutler

Postby dsm2nr on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:42 pm

crbutler wrote:Actually, guys it was intended to be a sarcastic response.

I do stand by it though.

Not to say I might not buy one at a higher price if I really need it, but given that I already have a handgun or two, I can be much more picky now. Unless I get it at LEO pricing or better, I doubt I am buying another Glock. ( or Ruger, or so on.)

Glock and pretty much any other manufacturer who gives a sizable discount to one group of people because they are "special" for whatever reason have a pretty uphill battle to get my loyal business, unless they include me in the "special" group. Why do the GSSF guns fall in with mil/LE pricing? What "dues" did they pay?

I know a few LEO's who buy things like this and use it to make a little extra money. Is that what this is all about?

The mil/LE deal is plain and simple marketing- get the line guys to tell the brass they want a certain brand of gun, and make up the limited LE private sales on the contract with the departments. Sorry, the guy in Austria really could care less about your service, it has nothing to do with that, although they sure hope you think so. That the rank and file cops like Glock has undoubtedly gotten them some business they would not otherwise have, as most union dominated industries are pretty protectionist (why else would anyone have brought a sigma?)

So screw the average shmoe by overcharging for the gun if he buys it, and then screw him again by getting the cops to want it and charge the taxpayers for them when they get selected as a duty weapon by a number of officers working for a selection board. Don't even think that the manufacturers don't wine and dine the guys who make those decisions (who are by definition public servants).

Firearms are one of the highest margin items to manufacture that I have knowledge of. Economy of scale with modern manufacturing techniques and they are cheap.

So simply, I don't like how they conduct business in this regard, so I will exercise my right to not buy them.

It's definitely your choice to buy one or not.

However it is a free market (somewhat). And what people are willing to pay, people are willing to pay. This means if 90% of people would pay $1k for any one specific Glock, guess what they'll likely charge a dealer? It would be a stupid move, as a business, not to charge as much as you can (obviously other factors will come into play, example: ammo during election years). Like someone else said, Glock's profits at LE/Mil pricing for everyone would likely not sustain the company. You want to see high profit margins? Check the racks at Nordstrom or any other high end fashion boutique.

That said, LE/Mil guys put their lives on the line every day for us. If I owned a business in a related field that could sustain itself on civilian sales, I'd likely charge somewhere around %0-10 over cost as a small thank you. I'd imagine that's what Glock and a lot of other businesses do.
dsm2nr

Postby BigJnMn on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Did you get rejected by some branch of the military or turned down for a LE job?

Glock doesn't need to give discounts to mil/le. The fact that you think some grunt is going to influence a military bidding on a weapons platform based on their discount at their LGS pretty much sets the tone for how laughable the rest of your rant is.

Americans buy more Glocks than probably all other sales outside the US combined. Is a discount to American LE and military a PR move? Sure, that's part of it but it's not all PR.

By the way, I think perfume has the most mark up of any manufacturing item.

Cheap guns are cheap and quality comes with a certain price. Why do you think Colt stopped making the Python? It wasn't because people didn't want them. It's because quality, attention to detail, and expertise cost money and sometimes a lot of money. Sure, poly framed guns are cheaper to make, which is why you can get a good one for around $500 but just because it's a cheaper gun to manufacture doesn't mean it costs the company penny's on the dollar to produce.
BigJnMn

Postby hunterfreakhd on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 pm

I would give a glock to someone who has fought for my freedom if I could afford it!They are the reason you are here even discussing it.If it was not for them we might not even be able to own guns.They have paid their "dues" over and over in my eyes.
By the way to who it concerns Thank you for putting your life on the line everyday for my freedoms Military and LEOS :!:
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby PRS on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:15 am

Ya man... that GI bill is BS too!
PRS

Postby SmoothAR on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:52 am

crbutler wrote:Why do the GSSF guns fall in with mil/LE pricing? What "dues" did they pay?

GSSF members do not get military/LE pricing. GSSF pricing is slightly higher ($425 vs. $398). There is an annual membership fee associated with GSSF. Following your first year, you can purchase 1 discounted Glock per year as long as you are a active member.
SmoothAR

Postby Mdclinks on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 am

MrVvrroomm wrote:
Mdclinks wrote:I am just wondering about the Military and LE special pricing. A good friend of mine joined the army about a year ago and is now looking to get a handgun. Does anybody know how the pricing works? Does it include veterans? Any info would be appreciated.
Active duty or reserve military personnel or retired with "retired credentials" ie: retired military ID are eligible to Glock's law enforcement firearms discount.

A standard 9mm or 40 Glock with regular sights is $398.

Here is a link to a large Glock LE dealer with details: http://www.edspublicsafety.com/discount.html

Here's a price sheet for LE pricing: http://www.edspublicsafety.com/glockindividual.html

Do you know if these are for gen3 or gen4? It's too bad they don't offer to retired volunteer firefighters. My father put in 20+ with Farmington. Thanks for the info MrV.
Mdclinks

Postby MrVvrroomm on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:16 am

Mdclinks wrote:Do you know if these are for gen3 or gen4?
Both are available.

Certified Glock Armorer

MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby weck on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 am

It would be kind of nice if they extended this to people who are not retired or active, but can prove they served and were honorably discharged..
weck

Next

Return to Handguns