Is it Wise to shoot +p through a Bersa Thunder?

Discussion of handguns

Is it Wise to shoot +p through a Bersa Thunder?

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:54 am

Just checking on whether these high pressure cartridges would be a good idea.

I have an aluminum framed Taurus PT99 which I was warned that +p ammo would cause fractures in the frame. Any such issues with the Bersa Thunder 380?

I'm using it in deeper conceal situtions where my G36 would be too obvious, so I'm thinking of ways to compensate for the lower pressure and still get somewhat decent stopping power.

Any suggestions for a good SD load for this gun?

Thanks for your opinions.

YukonJasper
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Is it Wise to shoot +p through a Bersa Thunder?

Postby DeanC on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:30 am

I like the new Corbon DPX loads for 380 acp.

But, you know, I'm not even sure there is a real SAAMI standard for +p in 380acp. Could be.

To me, though, the thing is, most 380's are blowback design. If you diddle around too much with pressures slide velocity, you end up with a gun that doesn't work right. If there really is 380+p, my guess is that you are more likely to end up with a malfunction before you would crack the frame.

Looking over this guy's comparison loadings tests, it looks like advertsied 380 +p offers no real advantage over non +p anyhow.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby DeanC on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Here's a good article on the subject: Demystifying +P
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Fast351 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:51 pm

DeanC wrote:But, you know, I'm not even sure there is a real SAAMI standard for +p in 380acp. Could be.

To me, though, the thing is, most 380's are blowback design.

There is no +P SAAMI spec for .380 for specifically that reason....
Fast351

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:39 pm

OK, a chance for futher education. What is a SAAMI Standard?

I'm hearing you say that it probably wouldn't be a good idea because of the blow back design and besides there isn't much of an advantage to them anyway, especially since they could do some damage.

Am I reading that correctly?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Pat on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:19 pm

DeanC wrote:I like the new Corbon DPX loads for 380 acp.

But, you know, I'm not even sure there is a real SAAMI standard for +p in 380acp. Could be.

To me, though, the thing is, most 380's are blowback design. If you diddle around too much with pressures slide velocity, you end up with a gun that doesn't work right. If there really is 380+p, my guess is that you are more likely to end up with a malfunction before you would crack the frame.

Looking over this guy's comparison loadings tests, it looks like advertsied 380 +p offers no real advantage over non +p anyhow.

Very cool and well done. I like this kind of non-pro, yet in depth comparison testing. Sort of like the "Box of Truth" guys (who drive Pinnacle nuts :didntdoit: ).
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby DeanC on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:48 am

yukonjasper wrote:OK, a chance for futher education. What is a SAAMI Standard?

SAAMI

yukonjasper wrote:I'm hearing you say that it probably wouldn't be a good idea because of the blow back design and besides there isn't much of an advantage to them anyway, especially since they could do some damage.

Am I reading that correctly?

I kind of doubt there would be any damage, just malfunctions - fail to feeds and jams most likely.
DeanC

Return to Handguns