Carry gun suggestions requested

Discussion of handguns

Postby wildfan1 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 pm

All right guys, there is a TON of knowledge here. I always thought I was pretty knowledgeable about guns....until I came here. I am pretty much a gun virgin comparatively. LOL

Anyway, I want some suggestions for my next PTC gun. I carry IWB. I had an LC9, and recently sold it to one of our fine members here. Nice gun, and I shot well with it. But I HATED the long DAO trigger. Here is my dilemma: I shoot targets A LOT. I shoot people....well so far never, and hope I never do. Maybe I was being a little odd about getting rid of the LC9 just because of the trigger. I know it never would have bothered me if I was defending myself or my family. But like I said, I never hope to be in that situation, but I HATE it for target shooting. So, I sold it, and now need something else.

Leaning S&W Shield as I have heard so many good things about them. Also considering Glock 26 simply due to the size and Glock reputation. Considering a Walther PPS as my brother in law has a Walther P99 that I absolutely love, but he won't sell it. Also considering Sig as I have owned in the past with great results, and distros have them in stock.

So, what would you guys recommend? I want a lighter/shorter trigger than that LC9. Want small for easy concealing. Prefer 9mm for cheaper ammo for frequent target shooting, but would consider .40, 10, or .45 as well. Would like to keep it sub $700. I also have an FFL, so I get pretty decent prices through the wholesale network.

I know some will say "go to Bill's and try a bunch and see what you like". I am extremely strapped for time. The only time I have time is weekends, and its a good 2-3 hour wait on the weekends at Bills, and it cuts into what little precious family time I have. I really don't mind buying without trying for two reasons: reselling is pretty easy, and if I don't want to resell it I have room in the safe. And when I don't, I upgrade my safe. LOL. Guns are like tools. Can you really ever have too many? Not in my book.

So, let's here it boys. Thanks in advance.
wildfan1

Re: Carry gun suggestions requested

Postby MrVvrroomm on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Glock 26 Gen4, M&P9 compact, S&W Shield 9mm

If you'd like to meet me at the Burnsville Range some time, I have all three of the above-listed. You're more than welcome to give them a try. All you have to do is feed them.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby wildfan1 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:15 pm

The 26 and Shield were my leading candidates. What is the difference between the M&P compact and the Shield?

And I may do that, thank you for the offer. When is a good time for you? I am out of work at the moment (medical leave), and am off for another two weeks. Maybe I could run down that way.
wildfan1

Postby EllisW on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Both the Walther PPS (there's a good deal on the forum right now) and Smith and Wesson M&P Shield are fantastic for carry. They're single stack, 6/7+1 capacity (with flush fit mags) and very slim. What you lack in capacity, you gain in concealment. You may not think half an inch or less in width is a big deal, but it really is a world of difference between IWB carrying a PPS/Shield and a Glock 26.

wildfan1 wrote:The 26 and Shield were my leading candidates. What is the difference between the M&P compact and the Shield?

And I may do that, thank you for the offer. When is a good time for you? I am out of work at the moment (medical leave), and am off for another two weeks. Maybe I could run down that way.

M&P Compact is double stack (wider) and has a really god awful trigger. The Shield is single stack, as mentioned above, and has a pretty fantastic trigger. If you feel comfortable with 8 rounds (I certainly do), I would strongly recommend the Shield over the Compact for ease of carry and comfort.
EllisW

Postby mn_smokeater on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Currently have a Sig Sauer P6 it's a single stack 9mm. Great lil gun and I think comparable to the size of a Glock 19? give or take?

It has a DA/SA Sig trigger. Because it was a West German Police issue it has a pretty heavy DA trigger pull but it is do able. Some need to have the feed ramps worked to get the gun to feed HP ammo well or you can use some of the HP that are more of the FMJ like, I currently have FMJ in mine(Still testing and evaling HP ammo for reliability)

That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby Ron Burgundy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Glock 26 FTW! Carries easy and is a lot of fun at the range. Drop a G17 mag in and you'll have plenty of fun. Unlike a lot of small guns, I shoot the G26 almost as well as my G17 (....wait, maybe that's not quite the endorsement )
Ron Burgundy

Postby justaguy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm

justaguy wrote:
Drizzle wrote:Go to a range that rents, try some

I tell this to a lot of people. A lot of people dont listen. Sometimes I get calls asking if I want to buy an almost new in box handgun because they bought something without trying it and they dont like it.

There is a moral to the story.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby TacticalGunny on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:36 pm

My recommendations would be a Kahr CM9 or M&P Shield. Glocks and similar frames can be carried with success, and many people do, but tend to be a little thick. Weight should also be considered. You could always wait until Sig releases their single stack 9.... :)
"Be advised. I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round in a flea's ass at 200 meters."
TacticalGunny

Postby timwarner on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:43 pm

I always recommend a G19.
If you wanna go a bigger caliber, get a G23. But a G19 is 16 rounds on tap, 9mm, cheap practice ammo.
Easy to fire one handed, or two.

It is by no means a micro pocket gun, but with a quality holster they are easy to conceal.
I have carried one IWB and OWB at work and elsewhere, and I was only made once, when a guy put his hand on my waist to keep me from tipping off a ladder at work.
The Mrs has one as well. Small enough to conceal, big enough for her to manage to shoot well.

I only say glock because that's what I have, but I'm sure the similiar MP, XD pistols would be about the same.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby illbits on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:23 pm

I carry a glock 33, but the g26 is much more affordable to shoot (if you don't put 33 round happy sticks in it).
illbits

Postby Spartan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Sig p239 9mm or 40 .. single stack ... Sig Quality... not a plastic gun.....

HK P7 (psp) squeeze cocker 9mm

Various Smith "J" frames....

I carry my Ruger LCP .380 nearly 100% time ... it's a very small pocket gun .... it's very concealable... it's also " better than nothing" So i carry the Sig P239 or HK USP Full Size if I can conceal it, also.

What I mean is the little pocket gun works with shorts, dress slacks ..... no one knows in my office..... But if I ever really needed to use a gun ... I want at least 40 s&W
Spartan

Postby TacticalGunny on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Spartan wrote:Sig p239 9mm or 40 .. single stack ... Sig Quality... not a plastic gun.

I was refering more to the P839...:) but yes the P239 is a fine weapon.
"Be advised. I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round in a flea's ass at 200 meters."
TacticalGunny

Postby thunderoussilence on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:37 pm

timwarner wrote:I always recommend a G19.
If you wanna go a bigger caliber, get a G23. But a G19 is 16 rounds on tap, 9mm, cheap practice ammo.
Easy to fire one handed, or two.

It is by no means a micro pocket gun, but with a quality holster they are easy to conceal.
I have carried one IWB and OWB at work and elsewhere, and I was only made once, when a guy put his hand on my waist to keep me from tipping off a ladder at work.
The Mrs has one as well. Small enough to conceal, big enough for her to manage to shoot well.

I only say glock because that's what I have, but I'm sure the similiar MP, XD pistols would be about the same.

I carry a G22 IWB concealed I also carry 2 Bersa Thunder plus .380 in a custom rig made by SRIGS iwb. Right holster,right belt makes a huge difference.
thunderoussilence

Postby JoeH on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm

I'm like you in that I dislike double action triggers. It's just a personal preference. I carried a Kahr P45 for a while. Its DA trigger is excellent - just not for me. Being a 1911 guy at heart, I stuck with that platform and usually carry an Officer model.

My suggestion would be an M&P 9 Compact or Shield. I've been very happy with the M&P platform. If you don't like the trigger, the guys at Apex can hook you up.

Joe
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby jshuberg on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Spartan wrote:Sig p239 9mm or 40 .. single stack ... Sig Quality... not a plastic gun.....

I could not agree more. I have a P239 SAS Gen II I use as my everyday carry. It's a fantastic gun.

It's a compact gun, but shoots just like it's bigger brothers in the Sig family. It has the weight (compared to a polymer frame pistol) to buffer recoil allowing for rapid follow up shots. You should be able to fire just as quickly and accurately as you would a full size pistol. It's also extremely accurate out of the box. On a good day I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards with it all day long. Pretty damn good for a compact!

I can go on and on about this little gun. I have well over 10K rounds through mine, and except for replacing wore out springs, I've only had a handful of malfunctions. If you replace your springs as they wear out, and keep it lubed up (especially the rails, run them *wet*), you'll never have any troubles.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Next

Return to Handguns