Need suggestions for a good garage pistol

Discussion of handguns

Need suggestions for a good garage pistol

Postby hirdlej on Tue May 01, 2012 2:17 pm

I live in a very rural part of minnesota with no neighbors or kids. Just my wife and I and our rat terrier dog. Recently, there has been an upsurge of coyotes and coons roaming the area. In the event my dog is ever attacked, I am looking for a "garage pistol" of sorts that I can leave loaded and hang on a holster that's hidden in the garage, but easily accessible. The gun is going to be used very seldomly, maybe once a year to test function and accuracy. Otherwise it's going to be holstered and loaded, and neglected unless needed. I obviously am not going to stuff one of my Colt 1911's in a holster, so I'm looking for something cheaper that's essentially a disposable gun. It can have a plastic frame for all I care, and looks are not important. I want reliable function, somewhat accurate, 7 round plus capacity, and must be 9mm, .40 or .45 caliber. The gun will see humidity, freezing cold, and probably lack of oil/maintenance. What can be bought for $200-$300-$400? Again, nothing fancy and it can look like crap for all I care. It just needs to work and use a sizeable caliber. Any suggestions?
hirdlej

Re: Need suggestions for a good garage pistol

Postby hunterfreakhd on Tue May 01, 2012 2:19 pm

I think you just described a Glock! Come on I just thought I would be the first to say it.... :twisted:
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue May 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Glock, Kahr CW series, S&W Sigma....

Those are the three that come to mind immediately.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby hirdlej on Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 pm

hunterfreakhd wrote:I think you just described a Glock! Come on I just thought I would be the first to say it.... :twisted:

What part did I say that described that? The plastic part? The looks like crap part? I've never shopped for a Glock since I've had no interest in them. Can one be obtained for under $300? Even though I'm nice to my stuff, I want a gun that I don't give a crap about and if it gets bumped, dropped, an inch of dust on it, I don't want to cry or care. Used would suit me fine.
hirdlej

Postby LarryFlew on Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm

hirdlej wrote:
hunterfreakhd wrote:I think you just described a Glock! Come on I just thought I would be the first to say it.... :twisted:

What part did I say that described that? The plastic part? The looks like crap part? I've never shopped for a Glock since I've had no interest in them. Can one be obtained for under $300? Even though I'm nice to my stuff, I want a gun that I don't give a crap about and if it gets bumped, dropped, an inch of dust on it, I don't want to cry or care. Used would suit me fine.

Not a tupperware fan myself but they can take a beating as well as temp fluctuations and humidity. Thinking it really is the perfect gun for your needs and your choice of caliber.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby cobb on Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Maybe rethink for those conditions and cost. A good old Ruger in .357 mag. would serve very well.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Paul on Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 pm

cobb wrote:Maybe rethink for those conditions and cost. A good old Ruger in .357 mag. would serve very well.

Pump 12 gauge?

You don't have to worry about concealing or carrying it, so why limit yourself to a pistol?
Paul

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Paul wrote:
cobb wrote:Maybe rethink for those conditions and cost. A good old Ruger in .357 mag. would serve very well.

Pump 12 gauge?

Pistol caliber carbine?
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby dragonb8 on Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I would go with a Ruger P85 or a Keltec p11.
Both are cheap and reliable.
If you want more reliable and just as cheap go with a Taurus revolver.
- I didn't invent the circle of life. I'm just a participant. -
dragonb8

Postby hunterfreakhd on Tue May 01, 2012 2:54 pm

hirdlej wrote:

Yes the plastic part... yes the looks like crap part....If you find one that is used and abused they go for around or just under $300.If they get dropped in the mud or thrown in the water they will still shoot.Plus the" lack of oil and maintenance" especially the lack of oil is actually better for a glock.It was just the first thing that came to mind.Like one of the others stated a carbine like the 9mm hi point would suit you for this need to plus you get a little more range with it.They are 300 brand new and take a lot of abuse.They have been called the little carbine that could because they just keep shooting.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue May 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Paul wrote:

Pump 12 gauge?

You don't have to worry about concealing or carrying it, so why limit yourself to a pistol?

That's what I was going to say. Or even an old double barrel.
Pat Cannon

Postby photogpat on Tue May 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Single shot handi rifle in .223 or .243, or a cheap bolt .22
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby EllisW on Tue May 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Just get a police surplus Glock 17 or 22. They'll be cheap as balls and readily available nearly anywhere.
EllisW

Postby mn_smokeater on Tue May 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi point C9 or JHP a 9mm or .45 they cost under $200 so buy a pair and if one stops working send it back they fix it free ship it back to you. All while you still have your spare at the ready.
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby JJ on Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/auc ... ion_show/1 (CZ75 Clones with the addition of a three position safety)
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Next

Return to Handguns