Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

Discussion of handguns

Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Thu May 10, 2012 3:16 pm

I've been looking for another .22RL pistol. I already own a Ruger MKIII 22/45, but I wanted a .22 pistol that looked more like a service pistol instead of the target guns. I looked at the Walther P22, Ruger SR22, and Sig Sauer Mosquito. Have to say the Sig looked the best, especially in the Bi tone model. So I picked it up.

My dealer told me that he's heard stories of these being a gamble when it comes to them being reliable... Personally he's never seen one come back, but read stories online of them not running. So I did my research, and found that most are picky when it comes to ammo. They say they run well with CCI mini mag ammo (included a $10 rebate form for the ammo). He was sold out of CCI, so I picked up a 500 round lot of PMC sidewinders (only ammo he had in stock in bulk). So far I've ran 200 rounds though it, and it hasn't missed a beat. I'm rather impressed with the Sig. Just wish they would include more than just one magazine with the gun.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

Postby BBeckwith on Thu May 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Mine has run just as well on Federal 525 bulk packs as well as it has CCI MiniMag.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

Postby fmcgraw on Fri May 11, 2012 4:02 am

For the first 200 rounds of various bulk brands (Federal, Remington, Winchester) my mosquito had at least one feed error every magazine. Since then bulk Remington Golden Bullet has worked flawlessly, though it doesn't always lock back on the last shot. CCI minimag has been perfect but I prefer not to always spend that much to hit paper at the range.
fmcgraw

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri May 11, 2012 9:10 am

Well the first 250 round went pretty well in my mosquito. I cleaned it, lubed it, and gave it a hour rest. Went back out and it's like someone swapped guns on me. Couldn't get a full magazine to run. I changed springs and that didn't make a lick of difference. I can run this ammo though my Ruger and Mossberg without any issues. I'm gonna pickup some different kinds of ammo this weekend, and see what it likes. Like stated before Remington gold, CCI, and Federal seem to run just fin in these guns. So I'll pick up a box of each and see what happens.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Muddy41 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:49 pm

I bought 1 3 weeks ago and have ran over 2,000 rounds of Remington 525rd packs as well as CCI and have never had any issues what so ever...I have never had to clean it or wait to shoot it ever w3hen at the range...The 2nd day I had it my daughter shot 1 box of Remington 525 through it flawlessly!!! Love the gun and so do my daughters as it is the blk and purple!!
Muddy41

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun May 13, 2012 5:15 pm

I'll have to get some of the Remington and run them. See how she runs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
PHATSPEED7x

Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

Postby dtapper2 on Sun May 13, 2012 6:08 pm

I've ran remington, federal, winchester and CCI through mine. The only ammo that it likes is copper plated CCI minimags. I've heard of people polishing the feed ramp to allow it to feed easier? Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Just picked up a box of the Remington golden .22LR. Gonna do some shooting on my days off coming up and I'll let ya know how things go...

PHATSPEED7x

Postby promod1385 on Mon May 14, 2012 4:53 pm

The one I had would only work reliably with CCI minimags. IIRC the gun came with a couple different recoil springs. It didnt matter which spring I used CCI's were the only reliable ammo.

I traded it away due to this issue, if a 22 wont run the cheap stuff to me it defeats the purpose of having one. I can handload 9mm for less money than the CCI's cost.
promod1385

Postby V Man on Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 pm

I've had at least 3 of these and they can be a little difficult some times. Make sure that you are using the light spring and that the tapered part of the spring is facing the trigger.

Check out this link for everything you wanted to know about your Mosquito and more.

[url]
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=386450 [/url]
Everything you need to know to be successful in the military: Always have an Assault element,Support element and a Security element. Leadership Decisions: Will it accomplish the Mission? Is it morally and ethically correct? How will it affect your men?
V Man

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue May 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Well I was able to run 25 rounds though the mosquito this morning before I left to do some running around. Shot flawlessly. Gonna do more testing tomorrow.

Last edited by PHATSPEED7x on Tue May 15, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHATSPEED7x

Postby rukwikenuf on Tue May 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Muddy41 wrote:I bought 1 3 weeks ago and have ran over 2,000 rounds of Remington 525rd packs as well as CCI and have never had any issues what so ever...I have never had to clean it or wait to shoot it ever w3hen at the range...The 2nd day I had it my daughter shot 1 box of Remington 525 through it flawlessly!!! Love the gun and so do my daughters as it is the blk and purple!!

i've seen him with both of his daughters at the range, they literally blow through complete 525 packs on each visit! however, the range gun at Bill's in finicky (mostly due to the fact that it doesn't get cleaned nearly as frequently as it should)
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby plblark on Tue May 15, 2012 12:47 pm

That's been my experience. a clean mosquito is sweet.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun May 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Well I was able to run about 100 rounds through it this afternoon, and it ran flawless. It sure does like the Remington Golden bullets. I'm starting to really like this gun. :D
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Spartan on Sun May 20, 2012 9:22 pm

I bought one back in 2007.... I ran everything through it .... it hated remington and winchester .... it loved the CCI and federal copper but not the lead nose.

I liked the gun but never shot it again after I got a Ruger Mark iii...... the trigger was not great... I got used it after a while .... it was accurate and reliable all things considered.
Spartan

Next

Return to Handguns