My new pony

Discussion of handguns

My new pony

Postby GunGoogler on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce you to my new Colt 1911 Wiley Clapp Commander.

_DSC0188.JPG

_DSC0189.JPG

I picked it up this morning and drooled all the way back home. Once there, I gave her a quick strip, clean, and lube. Then, I headed to Bill's south for a little of the old bang bang, if you know what I mean. I put a target on the dealy and sent it out to 25 feet and this was the result of the first seven rounds (Using American Eagle 230gr. FMJ -- Thanks Pat!):

FIrst seven rounds.JPG

I can't say enough good things about the front and back strip stippling. This thing glues itself to my hand and does not move until I let go.

_DSC0196.JPG

I instantly fell in love with the way it feels in the hand as well as how balanced it is. I am definitely a fan of the commander-style 1911. Perfect form factor for carrying and the oblong grips, stippling, and front-end grip taper makes it a perfect fit in my hand. Within the first 100 rounds I was easily picking the pistol up and having a consistent grip placement each time.

I also loved the "geezer sites". For those of you with failing eyesight, I recommend that you check these out. They are made by novak and I have to admit that they are a little unconventional, but you get used to them very quickly. I was able to get a good sight picture instantly with good alignment because I could easily see "light space" between the rear sites and the front sight and that brass bead front sight caught my eye very quickly. I am not the best shot, but I was very accurate with this gun and much faster than with my Beretta 96 or my Glock 23 Gen 4. Needless to say, I'm in love.

Special thanks to MNBlackJack (Mike) for the fabulous deal. If ever you have a chance to do business with Mike, you'll be pleased. Mine was a great experience!
Attachments
_DSC0188.JPG
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Re: My new pony

Postby wrench on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:21 pm

That is one good looking pistol, congrats!
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

My new pony

Postby mzdadoc on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Congrats!!!!
mzdadoc

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:55 pm

I just stocked one of the Wiley Clapp GP100s if you want a matching pair :)

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby GunGoogler on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Squib Joe wrote:I just stocked one of the Wiley Clapp GP100s if you want a matching pair :)

*Whistle!*

I can't believe I'm going to ask this: How much?
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Postby Muddy41 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:11 am

Love the pony.... That is a piece of art....

I too have done business Mike bought my p226 from him and got the best deal known to mankind on the reconditioned 9mm.... He and his wife were alot of fun to visit with and Mike's customer service skills leading up to the purchase was 2nd to none......
Muddy41

Postby XD/Dale on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:27 pm

That's a nice looking pony.
I predict future happiness for
Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the
pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
XD/Dale

My new pony

Postby JoeH on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Sweet. How's the trigger?

Joe
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby GunGoogler on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:25 am

JoeH wrote:Sweet. How's the trigger?

Joe

The trigger is great. I know some don't care for the long triggers, but this one is ok to me. It does have a mm or two of really sloppy creep, but it gets taken up the second your finger is on it with no effort. From there it is a nice, crisp break. I was really impressed by how little it takes to get back to the trigger break for a second shot. I don't time my shots, but I am noticeably faster than with my G23 or my old Beretta 96.
GunGoogler

Postby JoeH on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:55 am

GunGoogler wrote:

Joe

The trigger is great. I know some don't care for the long triggers, but this one is ok to me. It does have a mm or two of really sloppy creep, but it gets taken up the second your finger is on it with no effort. From there it is a nice, crisp break. I was really impressed by how little it takes to get back to the trigger break for a second shot. I don't time my shots, but I am noticeably faster than with my G23 or my old Beretta 96.

Don’t confuse take-up with creep. It sounds like you are describing take up which is necessary for the gun to function. I’m very particular about creep. Once the trigger is pulled through the take-up, I should be able to increase trigger pressure until the trigger breaks without any movement in the trigger. I’m not happy if I can creep the trigger without it breaking. This is just my preference. There are millions of 1911s out there with creep and they function just fine.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Sammichman on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16 pm

How about a Pic of the Geezer Sights
Sammichman

Postby GunGoogler on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:29 pm

JoeH wrote:
GunGoogler wrote:

Joe

Don’t confuse take-up with creep. It sounds like you are describing take up which is necessary for the gun to function. I’m very particular about creep. Once the trigger is pulled through the take-up, I should be able to increase trigger pressure until the trigger breaks without any movement in the trigger. I’m not happy if I can creep the trigger without it breaking. This is just my preference. There are millions of 1911s out there with creep and they function just fine.

Thank you for the clarification in terms. To clarify my own statements, I decided to grab the pistol and measure. It is certainly not SLOP. it is take up. With the hammer pulled back and the safety off, I get 1.5-2 mm of travel before the trigger breaks and the pressure necessary to take up is negligible. The maximum trigger movement possible (from initial contact, past the break, and to the "rear" with follow-through is probably 3-3.5mm. I hope that helps.
GunGoogler

Postby GunGoogler on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Sammichman wrote:How about a Pic of the Geezer Sights

Here are two. I apologize for the poor quality and alignment; however, it is surprisingly difficult to get a good photo while holding the pistol in one hand, aligning my phone behind it with the other, and taking the picture without moving the lens out of alignment. Regardless, you get the "picture".

Geezer 1.JPG

Geezer 2.JPG

As I said, I find it really easy to quickly acquire the brass bead on the front sight and I love the "gap" between rear sight posts and front sight post. YMMV, but it feels really natural for me, especially shooting with both eyes open. I should note that I am right handed and cross-eye dominant.
GunGoogler

Postby GunGoogler on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:54 pm

GunGoogler wrote:
Thank you for the clarification in terms. To clarify my own statements, I decided to grab the pistol and measure. It is certainly not SLOP. it is take up. With the hammer pulled back and the safety off, I get 1.5-2 mm of travel before the trigger breaks and the pressure necessary to take up is negligible. The maximum trigger movement possible (from initial contact, past the break, and to the "rear" with follow-through is probably 3-3.5mm. I hope that helps.

I reread my initial post as well and had to think about where I got the impression of the "sloppiness". I figured it out. If I grab the pistol (finger off the trigger) and shake it, the trigger will "wiggle" making a light clanking noise. As I examine it future, the trigger wiggles less than 0.5mm from side to side, which is something I'm not used to since this is my first pistol with this trigger style. I can't comment on whether that is common for 1911s with this style trigger or not. It doesn't bother me and doesn't affect my trigger squeeze.
GunGoogler

Postby rugersol on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:57 am

State of the @#$%ing art! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Next

Return to Handguns