New Revolver.

Discussion of handguns

New Revolver.

Postby Ranger01 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:45 pm

So for the past few years I've been looking at one type of revolver pretty exclusively (well there was a stint where I wanted a Ruger...). I finally got one.

Meet my new Model 27-2 3.5" .357 Magnum revolver.

I'm planning on getting some ivory stocks for it, those are gonna be easy to find. But I'm having trouble finding one thing that I've been looking for.

A grip adapter like one of these:

I can find Tyler-T adapters, Pachmayr adapters, and a couple custom ones, but they all extend down the length of the grip vs just at gap between the guard and grip and attach too low to cut off (and in the case of the tyler it's too thin). Any ideas on where to find one like these?

Yes, I do plan on pulling a Patton with my 27 haha.
Ranger01

Re: New Revolver.

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 pm

Yep. Real guns are wheel guns. Good score!
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Ranger01 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:41 am

Stradawhovious wrote:Yep. Real guns are wheel guns. Good score!

Agreed. I love my 1911s, but holding this hunk of steel just feels right. Its probably a bit heavy for carrying daily, but it's good for shooting... now to wait for next weekend... Anybody want to load up some Keith .357 loads for me? :twisted:
Ranger01

Postby redaudi on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:04 am

ooh, color me jealous.

I've been looking at those, but they are out of my price range right now. Congrats on your purchase.
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby old guy on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 am

If you are going to shoot it you are going to like it a whole lot better with that rubber handle, especialy with heavy Keith loads, been there done that.

John
old guy

Postby cschauss on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:21 pm

I had one about 20 years ago, then - like an idiot - I sold it. It was a boat anchor of a weapon, but it was very well balanced. It's a .357 on a .44 frame, hence the gap between the cylinder and the front frame. I believe that the name for it is Highway Patrolman...S&W was catering to state agencies back in the day.
cschauss

Postby tim on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 pm

cschauss wrote:I had one about 20 years ago, then - like an idiot - I sold it. It was a boat anchor of a weapon, but it was very well balanced. It's a .357 on a .44 frame, hence the gap between the cylinder and the front frame. I believe that the name for it is Highway Patrolman...S&W was catering to state agencies back in the day.

That gap in front of the cylinder looks scary. The pictures he referenced for his future grip choice show an extension of the barrel but the picture of his it looks wide open, at least on the screen of my cell phone.
tim

Postby cschauss on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Not to worry, Tim - I never had a problem with mine - there is an internal barrel extension that takes care of the problem.
cschauss

Postby Ranger01 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:54 pm

I'll admit it's a heavy gun, but from what I've heard and seen (firing a friend's gun a while back) you can push things through a 27/28 that would pretty much tear apart any other S&W .357 revolver.

The Model 28 is what's known as the highway patrolman. It's pretty much the same exact gun with a few differences. The 28 is matte blued (vs high polish), and has no checkering on the top strap/ barrel, had limited barrel lengths available (compared to early 27s).

My gun does have the barrel/ forcing cone extension, it just doesn't look like it in the photos due to there being some residual powder buildup in the cylinder area of the frame. I cleaned it and oiled it up yesterday and she shines top to bottom. Now I just need to get some renaissance wax to keep it that way...
Ranger01

Return to Handguns