Whats your favorite handgun you've owned?

Discussion of handguns

Re: Whats your favorite handgun you've owned?

Postby acerpower on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I like to shoot my Spingfield XD-9 service the most.
It's more accurate than I am and it cycles any cheap ammo I feed it without a hiccup.
acerpower

Postby Dorian on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:24 pm

selurcspi wrote:P7-M13!!!

+1

Dorian
"The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men worse than themselves. -Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)"
Dorian

Postby T.P.F.K.A.M on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:09 pm

My precious Colt Detective Special (2nd Issue) 3 in. Barrel Nickel .38 Sp
T.P.F.K.A.M

Postby SparkyJeff on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:42 pm

A 4" S&W 19-2. First shot was dead nuts...
I wish I could do it again ;)
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby SavageSmoker on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:13 am

Right now it's my Smith and Wesson Shield .40
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
SavageSmoker

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:29 am

Favorite handgun would be any of my XD pistols.

Sent from my DROIDX
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby bluelens on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:59 am

I grew up shooting the Ruger Single 6 and still use it today 40 years later. For "coolness" factor I love my springfiled loaded 1911. For accuracy, I shoot the S&W 686 revolver the best.
bluelens

Postby Hmac on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:14 am

S&W M&P 9L with DCAEK and a custom-fitted Storm Lake barrel. I'm more accurate shooting that pistol at combat targets/distances than any I've owned.
Hmac

Postby Exjay on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 am

Pat Cannon wrote:I've only owned four handguns and I've loved them all, but, yeah, some more than others.

They are:
1. Charles Daly Field Pistol (full size 1911)
2. Kimber Custom II (full size 1911)
3. Ruger SP101 (.357 Magnum 5-shot 2 1/4"-bbl revolver)
4. Ruger GP100 (.357 Magnum 6-shot 3"-bbl revolver)

I was sucked into the handgun world by reading Jeff Cooper's column in Guns & Ammo, so my first gun had to be a full size 1911. Because I'm chronically broke, it was a cheap 1911, a Philippines-made Charles Daly. Loved that gun, mostly 'cause it was my first gun -- kinda like a guy's first car ['54 Chevy, best car ever]. Never mind that I had to replace pretty much every small part inside the gun as they broke in the course of a couple years. One of the cool things about a 1911 is, you can go to a local gunsmith and he can dig in his parts bin and he'll find whatever doohickey broke and send you on your way in a few minutes for a few bucks. This was my everyday carry gun from the day I bought it. Unless I didn't have my permit yet, in which case it wasn't.

After a year or two I succumbed to peer pressure to "buy a decent gun", and got the Kimber. This gun broke less often than the Daly, and looked and felt much nicer. But it wasn't any more accurate than the cheap gun, and jammed maybe even a little more, like once or twice per IDPA match. I loved it, but not quite as much as I loved the Daly beater.

So I love 1911s, but the 1% or 2% jam rate of my 1911s bugged me. I thought maybe I wanted a revolver.

Then one day I picked up a 2-1/4" Ruger SP101 snubby, and it just felt right. It's built like a little tank. The full sized 1911 was starting to feel a little heavy as a daily carry gun, and this gun's about ten ounces lighter. I traded the Kimber for it, even up, at Frontiersman. I still love that gun, and still carry it sometimes.

But, once I started carrying the SP, I figured I should shoot something like it in IDPA (you need a 6-shooter for IDPA; the SP holds 5). So I bought the GP100 online. To finance that, I sold the Daly to some sucker here [just kidding, friend].

Then I figured out how to build a decent IWB holster for the GP, and for the last couple years it's been at my side 24/7.

So now I'm an all revolver guy. But 1911s are still awesome.

I have the same ruger sp101. Gotta say its a close 2nd for my heart. I got it cause i couldnt find a security six snubnose. As for the Hk p7, not my cup of tea. The gf has one and other than the grip having the angle as a glock, its just awkward in my hands.
Exjay

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 am

What else?? Nothing says Danger!! like a .50 in the chamber!! Plus it's the best built and highest quality gun I own by far...

Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby MissouriDave on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 am

My favorite is my Marlin 1895 45/70 shooting 405 grains of pure excitement. Nothing puts a bigger smile on your face as taking down full size trees with dust flying from that big hunka lead exiting the barrel. Pure adrenalin.
Last edited by MissouriDave on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissouriDave

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 am

MissouriDave wrote:My favorite is my Marlin 45/70 shooting 405 grains of pure excitement. Nothing puts a bigger smile on your face as taking down full size trees with dust flying from that big hunka lead exiting the barrel. Pure adrenalin.

Ya cut down yer Marlin into a Mare's Leg?! :shock:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby MissouriDave on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 am

Nope. still the same size.

I remember when we were up north shooting our levers and taking down the forest.
MissouriDave

Postby Exjay on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 am

Pat Cannon wrote:I've only owned four handguns and I've loved them all, but, yeah, some more than others.

They are:
1. Charles Daly Field Pistol (full size 1911)
2. Kimber Custom II (full size 1911)
3. Ruger SP101 (.357 Magnum 5-shot 2 1/4"-bbl revolver)
4. Ruger GP100 (.357 Magnum 6-shot 3"-bbl revolver)

I was sucked into the handgun world by reading Jeff Cooper's column in Guns & Ammo, so my first gun had to be a full size 1911. Because I'm chronically broke, it was a cheap 1911, a Philippines-made Charles Daly. Loved that gun, mostly 'cause it was my first gun -- kinda like a guy's first car ['54 Chevy, best car ever]. Never mind that I had to replace pretty much every small part inside the gun as they broke in the course of a couple years. One of the cool things about a 1911 is, you can go to a local gunsmith and he can dig in his parts bin and he'll find whatever doohickey broke and send you on your way in a few minutes for a few bucks. This was my everyday carry gun from the day I bought it. Unless I didn't have my permit yet, in which case it wasn't.

After a year or two I succumbed to peer pressure to "buy a decent gun", and got the Kimber. This gun broke less often than the Daly, and looked and felt much nicer. But it wasn't any more accurate than the cheap gun, and jammed maybe even a little more, like once or twice per IDPA match. I loved it, but not quite as much as I loved the Daly beater.

So I love 1911s, but the 1% or 2% jam rate of my 1911s bugged me. I thought maybe I wanted a revolver.

Then one day I picked up a 2-1/4" Ruger SP101 snubby, and it just felt right. It's built like a little tank. The full sized 1911 was starting to feel a little heavy as a daily carry gun, and this gun's about ten ounces lighter. I traded the Kimber for it, even up, at Frontiersman. I still love that gun, and still carry it sometimes.

But, once I started carrying the SP, I figured I should shoot something like it in IDPA (you need a 6-shooter for IDPA; the SP holds 5). So I bought the GP100 online. To finance that, I sold the Daly to some sucker here [just kidding, friend].

Then I figured out how to build a decent IWB holster for the GP, and for the last couple years it's been at my side 24/7.

So now I'm an all revolver guy. But 1911s are still awesome.

I have the same ruger sp101. Gotta say its a close 2nd for my heart. I got it cause i couldnt find a security six snubnose. As for the Hk p7, not my cup of tea. The gf has one and other than the grip having the angle as a glock, its just awkward in my hands.
Exjay

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 am

MissouriDave wrote:Nope. still the same size.

I remember when we were up north shooting our levers and taking down the forest.

Yep ... thought of that, immediately! ... my little .44 weren't no slouch, neither! :mrgreen:

I really miss the campfire shooting! ... and the wheeling ... and the grouse!

Good times! :cheers:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns