Different Front Sights?

Discussion of handguns

Different Front Sights?

Postby cmj685 on Fri May 09, 2008 11:26 am

I have a question or two about the type of front sight which the Glock 19 has--the large rectangular front post which is supposed to fill the back sight cut-out when properly aligned. Now I am no expert, but the longer I use this type of sight (and I have two with this same kind of sight on) the more I question it. Here is what occurs to me, simple-minded as I am: what we are asked to do with this type of sight is essentially...block out the target completely by lining up the sights so as to obscure what we are supposed to be aiming at! Obviously it gets worse as the target gets farther away since the sight then blocks out more and more of the target. Am I missing something here? Or is this why I keep missing what I aim at :D ?! Anyway, it occurs to me that a much better concept might be a much narrower front sight--one that actually allows the shooter to see what he is aiming at instead of completely obscuring it? But can one still see a narrower front sight? Part of this is undoubtedly that I have really been struggling with vision problems over the past year and I am trying to figure out ways to maximize vision that is no longer the strong vision of my youth. But certainly it seems to me that seeing the target is better than having it blocked out by the sights under all circumstances! Discussion? Love to hear from you about your experience and knowledge in this area. Recommendations?
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Re: Different Front Sights?

Postby DeanC on Fri May 09, 2008 11:50 am

Theoretically, the sights should line up like this for a center hit.

Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Fri May 09, 2008 11:52 am

DeanC wrote:Theoretically, the sights should line up like this for a center hit.

Not all firearms are set up that way, some are point of impact rather than Kentucky windage.............................. ;)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby DeanC on Fri May 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Here's an article on handgun sight alignment.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby westhope on Fri May 09, 2008 6:56 pm

The sight picture for your link, "The Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol", is correct for a Bullseye shooter. Knowing the dimensions of the target, with the sight picture shown, the point of impact of the rounds can be adjusted to impact on the center or "X" ring. The eye can get a more precise aiming point with this 6 o'clock hold on a known target than trying to use the "point of impact" sight picture and trying to judge the center of the target, which is not clearly defined at the ranges shot.

For action type shooting sports and hunting, the "point of impact" sight picture usually works better since the precise target dimensions are not known.

For both sight pictures, your eye should focus on the front sight, allowing the rear sight and target to be out of focus slightly (or a lot if you are old like me).

For old eyes like mine, I had my eye doctor grind me a pair of shooting glasses (actually only my dominant eye lense) with the optical center of the lense located at the point I look through when sighting a handgun or rifle. This will be in the upper left of the right lense if your dominant eye is your right eye. The other lense was ground with the optical center in the normal location. The normal optical center of a lense is near the geometric center of the lense. When your eye looks through something other than the optical center, things blur a little. The first time I tried these shooting glasses, I could not believe how sharp the front sight, rear sight and target were. A real difference.

My eye doctor had done this for other shooters. Nothing new to him. I told him about my problems focusing on targets and he suggested this. The glasses should not be used for normal use. Slightly blurred when looking straight ahead. But not too bad.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby hammerbiker on Sat May 10, 2008 6:59 am

My wife put a Hi-Viz fiber-optic sight on her Glock 34 after breaking the cheap plastic sight off, shooting under a picnic table. The Hi-Viz is a little narrower as to not totally block out the sight picture. The fiber optic really helps big time for aging eyes in picking up the front sight.
hammerbiker

Postby Ironbear on Sat May 10, 2008 7:37 am

Maybe a set up like this?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.5.php

I've kept an eye out for info on the web. They seem to be a love/hate thing.

Interestingly enough JP is a local company.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Pat on Sat May 10, 2008 8:02 am

Ironbear wrote:Maybe a set up like this?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.5.php

I've kept an eye out for info on the web. They seem to be a love/hate thing.

Interestingly enough JP is a local company.

And they make some suped-up, snazzy AR's :D
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby cmj685 on Sat May 10, 2008 1:12 pm

See?! I knew I wasn't crazy! I knew someone else somewhere had to have realized this problem. Those jprifle sights at least allow the shooter to see the target. Duh! That seems increasingly like a really good idea to me!
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby Vlad on Sat May 10, 2008 9:55 pm

While you are at the JP site check out the J-Point, http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php The thing I love about them is the ease of use for new or inexperienced shooters. Just put the dot on where you want the bullet to go and hit the bang switch. They are not cheap but from my end, it helped my indoor winter league scores by 20 points because we shoot in a dark range and the black on black target sites on a black target was difficult.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Ironbear on Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 am

Vlad wrote:While you are at the JP site check out the J-Point, http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php
I have one on my 10/22 right now. You're right, new shooters like them. If anyone wanted to try it out, I am sure I could be convinced to take a trip to the range.....
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Return to Handguns