Stippling a Glock.........

Discussion of handguns

Postby 45Badger on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 am

I snagged a gen 2 G19 that might be a good candidate for stippling. What tool do people use for this? Seems like any soldering iron, wood burner could do the job. Anybody here done it?

This got me thinking.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/10259 ... e_SPF.html
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Re: Stippling a Glock.........

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:41 am

45Badger wrote:What tool do people use for this? Seems like any soldering iron, wood burner could do the job. Anybody here done it?

Soldering iron is what most folks use. I've done it and it's somewhat of an art and very time consuming unless you have a lot of practice...especially the job you've linked to.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby gunforhire on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

that looks awesome. kinda makes me want to do that to my G22
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:25 am

That's like seeing a picture of the Sistine Chapel, and wanting to go out and buy some paint and do the same thing to the ceiling of your living room. That guy obviously has a lot of talent, and the precision of a metal engraver, and some sort of previous experience in a related field. I would think a woodburning kit with all the different tips would be preferable to a soldering iron. With a normal soldering iron with a conical tip, about the best you could do is make it look like it had a horrible case of smallpox, and then paint it that zombie green color...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby grousemaster on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 am

45Badger wrote:I snagged a gen 2 G19 that might be a good candidate for stippling. What tool do people use for this? Seems like any soldering iron, wood burner could do the job. Anybody here done it?

This got me thinking.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/10259 ... e_SPF.html

I love the Gen 2's as they are....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby CypressTrout on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:40 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345649912.370271.jpg

Heres my g17 I stippled, sanded off the finger grooves, and chopped the frame to g19 length.
CypressTrout

Postby CypressTrout on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am

Used a soldering iron and it takes time! I don't think I would ever do it again. Feels great though!
CypressTrout

Postby grousemaster on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

CypressTrout wrote:Used a soldering iron and it takes time! I don't think I would ever do it again. Feels great though!

find yourself an RTF2 for an aggressive grip...
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby CypressTrout on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:31 pm

I had one and loved the feel but way to harsh on my side carrying IWB.
CypressTrout

Postby 67camaro on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:That's like seeing a picture of the Sistine Chapel, and wanting to go out and buy some paint and do the same thing to the ceiling of your living room. That guy obviously has a lot of talent, and the precision of a metal engraver, and some sort of previous experience in a related field. I would think a woodburning kit with all the different tips would be preferable to a soldering iron. With a normal soldering iron with a conical tip, about the best you could do is make it look like it had a horrible case of smallpox, and then paint it that zombie green color...

I have taken brass screw and dremeled if thats a word to whatever shape I prefer to make different tips for a pen soldering iron. They have worked great for stippling polymer.
67camaro

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:04 am

Seismic Sam wrote:I would think a woodburning kit with all the different tips would be preferable to a soldering iron. With a normal soldering iron with a conical tip, about the best you could do is make it look like it had a horrible case of smallpox, and then paint it that zombie green color...

A woodburning iron is basically identical to many soldering tools. There are a wide assortment of soldering tips available and they're generally finer than those a woodburner would use. Then again everyone has a different idea of how to do it. :D

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Ron Burgundy on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 am

gyrfalcon wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:I would think a woodburning kit with all the different tips would be preferable to a soldering iron. With a normal soldering iron with a conical tip, about the best you could do is make it look like it had a horrible case of smallpox, and then paint it that zombie green color...

A woodburning iron is basically identical to many soldering tools. There are a wide assortment of soldering tips available and they're generally finer than those a woodburner would use. Then again everyone has a different idea of how to do it. :D

I like that you bedazzled the slide, gyrfalcon. Nice piece!
Ron Burgundy

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:I like that you bedazzled the slide, gyrfalcon. Nice piece!

Hahaha, that's not mine. :lol: I'll leave it to Shippy or someone to come up with a hi-point bling contest. :mrgreen:
gyrfalcon

Postby Lunchbox on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:15 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:I like that you bedazzled the slide, gyrfalcon. Nice piece!

Hahaha, that's not mine. :lol: I'll leave it to Shippy or someone to come up with a hi-point bling contest. :mrgreen:

Shhh!!! Don't give him any crazy ideas... He might just do it.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby srtolly on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:27 pm

A HiPoint bling contest? I like it. I used a soldering iron but didn't get too fancy. Still blinging this one out.

This was my first try. I need a lot more patience and practice.
Semper Fi
srtolly

Next

Return to Handguns