FN Pistol

Discussion of handguns

FN Pistol

Postby maddhunter on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Was at Gander today strictly on a fact finding mission and looked at a FNX-9 pistol. Really liked the feel of the gun. Came with three mags and a couple sets of backstraps. Question is what kind of rep does FN have in the civilian gun community?

Thanks for feedback

w
maddhunter

Re: FN Pistol

Postby Weapon X on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:26 pm

I've had a FNX-9 for over a year and love it. Have about 500 rounds and no problems yet.
Last edited by Weapon X on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence"
George Washington
Weapon X

Postby CarRacer on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:28 pm

I really enjoy the FNP 45 I picked up, even though the grip resembles a 2x4. It's a double stack 45 though and it shoots great.

I think FN is looked upon favorably from what I've seen and they do supply a ton of the military hardware the US uses. The only part where I'd see people questioning them is the 5.7x28 round.
CarRacer

Postby justinvan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 pm

FN has a very long and well respected history as far as I am concerned. I have played with a few of there modern guns and MANY of there older and have no complaints.
justinvan

Postby jspace on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 am

I believe most civilian exposure to FN is through Browning, so there's that.
jspace

Postby backin15 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I have run hundreds of rounds through my FNX9 and have never had a problem. It is lighter than my Springfield but seems to have less recoil. It has ambidextrous decocking/safety levers, slide release and magazine release so it is perfect for us leftys.
backin15

Postby ranger on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 pm

I purchased my FNP-9 about 6 years ago and haven’t had a single issue with it. I’d buy another in a heartbeat. She shoots right on if I do my part.

NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby redaudi on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:00 am

Bought my FNP-9 used from a member here, don't remember how many rounds he put through it, but i've put over 2000 through it and it functions flawlessly.
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby Izod on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:46 am

My wife bought me my first hand gun for Christmas last year, which was the dark earth colored FNP-9. I vastly prefer the grip and feel of the fnp over the fnx. When i was looking for my first pistol in the gun shops this one felt the best in my hand. Also I felt it had a better feeling trigger break over the others in it's class, and also looked cool. I'll never sell this gun or give it up. Make sure you score the 16 round mags before 'dumb ass' bans them.

Had some trouble with failure to ejects at first, but reading on the FN forums that was a very common spring issue that just needed to be broken in.

If you wanted to try it out let me know. I live outside Rochester.
Izod

Postby ex-LT on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:00 pm

I also have an FNX-9, and have ~2500 rounds through it. Nice gun, and I've never had an FTF or FTE with it, regardless of the type of ammo I've run through it - everything from dirty, crappy Wolf ammo to my own reloads. I don't shoot it as much as my other 9s, simply because I like my Sigs (228 and 239) better, and most of my range time lately has been taken up by my shotguns and rifles. The trigger isn't as nice as my Sigs, but it's a damn sight better than the trigger on some guns I've tried.

The biggest drawback I've seen in regards to the FN is magazine availability. I haven't checked at Gander Mountain, but I haven't noticed them at any other gun stores. Also, the FNP and FNX mags are NOT interchangeable.

As jspace said, FN owns Browning (and Winchester).

Izod wrote:Make sure you score the 16 round mags before 'dumb ass' bans them.

If he gets the FNX, he'll need to get 17 round mags.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Dave at DK Mags in New Brightion generally has mags for the FNP/FNX. Generally at good price. Bought my FNP9 4 years ago and shoot it in IDPA. I did break the trigger control group and had to send it in for repair last year. Been good sence repair.
Sorcerer

Postby nframe on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm

I have a fnp 45 and I really like it. The fat grip works for me as I have big hands. Other people with normal sized hands have shot it ok, but complained a little about the grip.
nframe

Postby LePetomane on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:34 pm

My wife shoots the FNX in a .40 caliber. I've shot it plenty of times and it is a very nice gun.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby TiltMaster84 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:19 am

maddhunter wrote:Was at Gander today strictly on a fact finding mission and looked at a FNX-9 pistol. Really liked the feel of the gun. Came with three mags and a couple sets of backstraps. Question is what kind of rep does FN have in the civilian gun community?

Thanks for feedback

w

I absolutely love FN. I first shot a FNP-9 from my buddy 3-4 years ago, and I just bought a FNX-9 back in early 2012, I absolutely love it! I also now own a FN FS2000 rifle. They are a very high quality gun maker, and would strongly recommend them.
TiltMaster84

Return to Handguns