My AR Pistol build

Discussion of handguns

My AR Pistol build

Postby FJ540 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:38 pm

8-)
Last edited by FJ540 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJ540

Re: Sneak Peek

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Yea, that is on the ban list.

Looks cool though.
Holland&Holland

Postby TTS on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:32 pm

Dude, someone screwed a soup can to your barrel! :o

J/K, looks great! Did you make the comp yourself?
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby FJ540 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:15 am

TTS wrote:Dude, someone screwed a soup can to your barrel! :o

:lol: If it was more square I'd see if someone with a 4th axis would engrave a campbell's label on it. That'd be hilarious! It's about the same size as the Noveske KX3, but with a different baffle configuration.

I tried this out when it was still 14.5" (needed the length to be legal then anyway) and found it was awesome at diverting the concussion away from the shooter. The effect of a chamber (even one which doesn't mitigate sound) on the end of a short barrel is widely known to improve cycling reliability in short barreled gas driven guns. Even piston AK's have had one of these devices around for decades, and it's rumored to be the foundation for why the KX3 (flaming pig) was deemed a muzzle device instead of a single chamber sound suppressor. You have to have holes in your front baffle, or it's considered a can by the ATF. There are no internal baffles at all. The front screws off to facilitate cleaning.

The radial holes are tapered with their larger side aimed inward. This should cause sufficient turbulence to burn off unspent powder without making a fireworks display. Daylight testing proved positive, but that was with twice as much barrel. I haven't shot it at night yet.

And yes, it's all home-brewed out of 304 stainless. I cut the barrel down from 14.5" due to some warpage from welding slots closed from an old gas block. It was only bent enough to make it useless beyond about 70 yards but I had always blamed that on the red dot and commie ammo until I actually checked and found the barrel indeed had a bow - so when the 410 stainless hammer forged middy uppers went on sale cyber monday, I made my move to replace this upper and solve the problem with the barrel by removing that part of it. It's only got about 1500 rounds through it, and was quite accurate before the error in judgement on welding it. Should make a good pistol barrel now - we'll see!

Oops decided to hang onto my FF tube and gas tube roll pins til monday.
FJ540

Postby rugersol on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:08 am

Neat!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Sneak Peek

Postby JoeH on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Nice work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby curly2k3 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 pm

So did you make the comp, or is it one that can be found? I'd be really interested in one for my 300blk
curly2k3

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:53 pm

100% doesn't exist anywhere else. ;)

They may become available in the future, but I'm not selling them at this time.

Handguard was going swell 'til the threads galled, seized, and self destructed upon disassembly. :cry: I was sure there was plenty of cutting oil on it to prevent that, but it didn't seem to matter. Neck is now wrecked too (too much shop time in one stretch), so I conceded defeat and ordered one from Red X. We'll see how long it takes 'em to ship it.

I'll throw a barrel nut on it and bring it with when I try out the new middy upper coming tomorrow.
FJ540

Postby curly2k3 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:19 am

I would definitely be interested if you make more, specifically for a 308 pattern
I build fun guns
curly2k3

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 pm

Nice.....I always thought it would be fun to have an a2 pistol.....taxstamp that baby and put a cut down a2 stock on it.....that would be awesome
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:15 pm

SBR'd completely defeat the primary purpose of this gizmo. MN laws being libtarded and such, the DNR won't allow me to carry a rifle on my land in rifle deer season without the appropriate license (regardless of whether or not it's legal for me to shoot another deer anyway). So I made the next best thing - a rifle caliber pistol I can carry under my permit. :mrgreen:

I was also thinking it'd make a great closet gun to add to the home defense options, but the Mrs. doesn't think kindly of the idea. Her 9mm closet gun carries 17+1 and she's giddy about that, but heaven forbid we bump that up to 30+1 and add some explosive properties to the projectiles. :lol:

Given the current climate, I'm half tempted to drop it on the market once I verify it runs right, but I've always loved how these looked despite having taken a long time to come around and see "the point" to having one. I also might just sell the barrel and go 300blk for the pistol too.

I'm still waiting on a scope mount for the 300 upper, and then I'll get the AR fleet to the range to try out the new configurations.
FJ540

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:21 pm

FJ540 wrote:
Given the current climate, I'm half tempted to drop it on the market once I verify it runs right.

Tell me about it......I'm half tempted to throw my ar on the market and make 3 or 4 grand.....add some p-mags and I could come close to buying a new car ;)
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Postby FJ540 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Range report: :gun: :gun: and then :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :gun: :lol: :mrgreen:

I'm gonna put an A2 on it. My brake worked good, but it still fireballed with it.

No reliability issues with 62gr wolf or 77gr SMK's
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Ended up swapping over the .223 barrel onto another upper, and then put it up on GB. (ending Saturday if anyone's interested)

I also just got notice that my redx 7.5" 300blk barrel and handguard are finally shipping :booyah: , but will have to wait til Rguns sends my pistol gas tube to make it functional again.
FJ540

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 am

Would it pass fed muster to slide a neoprene/rubber tube cheek rest over the rear tube? Maybe even match size of forearm tube? Thinking it would look good, reduce bruising and do damage protection.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Next

Return to Handguns