Ruger GP100 Question

Discussion of handguns

Ruger GP100 Question

Postby ZardozCZ on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 am

I'm not having luck finding the answer to this: is the Ruger GP100 double action only, or can it also be single action?

Any idea how heavy the pull is in DA?

Thanks!
ZardozCZ

Re: Ruger GP100 Question

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 am

Its BOTH.

Don't know - go try one.
OldmanFCSA

Postby JJ on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 am

ZardozCZ wrote:Any idea how heavy the pull is in DA?

Thanks!

Are you talking about a used gun, new, gun, or post spring change to lighten?

Most new revo's will be up near 8-10+lbs DA until they break in. Used guns 6-8 is pretty common. With a spring change and some smithing you can go much lighter.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby s4s4u on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 am

DA pull is not bad, not great but not bad. SA pull is as good or better than most SA's I own.

It is an easy mod to disable the DA sear, but don't know why one would feel the need to do so.
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Postby sigsauersauce on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:26 am

DA pull on mine is about 10lbs give or take. SA is nice and crisp at about 4lbs. It will naturally lighten the more you shoot it, or if you want it lighter right away you can spring the few bucks for a lighter spring or just sit there and do dry-fire drills all day for a few weeks (check your manual, Ruger actually recommends this to help smooth out the action if you're buying it new). Hope that helps. It's a great shooting revo and it eats recoil like a champ!
"I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law."
sigsauersauce

Ruger GP100 Question

Postby ZardozCZ on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm picking up a used one tomorrow. It has a factory bobbed hammer so it might be DA only. Vintage 1992 by the serial #.

I want it for defense but I know I'm more accurate with SA. So practice will improve my score on targets. I'd prefer DA/SA but this will be ok. Glad the trigger weight can be modded!

Thanks for the feedback!
ZardozCZ

Postby promod1385 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 pm

ZardozCZ wrote:I'm picking up a used one tomorrow. It has a factory bobbed hammer so it might be DA only. Vintage 1992 by the serial #.

I want it for defense but I know I'm more accurate with SA. So practice will improve my score on targets. I'd prefer DA/SA but this will be ok. Glad the trigger weight can be modded!

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes modded at the cost of reliability. There is a reason the top revolver shooters around only use certain brands of primers in there reloads, its because there guns will only ignite the softest of primers.

If you plan on using it for a HD gun I would only trust a good smith with a history of doing good revolver work and even then I would not be too excited to mess with it. If you plan on trusting your life to it you might just consider leaving it stock.
promod1385

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 am

If the spurless hammer is indeed factory, then your GP is DA only. But in my humble opinion, that's a good thing! You say you want it as a defensive weapon. Well, defensive shooting is DA shooting. So you when you go to the range, you know you should practice DA shooting. But there's a strong temptation to shoot single-action, 'cause it's easier to be accurate, so people tend to not ever really train themselves to shoot well in double action. With a DAO gun, though, you practice DA 'cause you have no choice, and you'll learn to 'stage' the trigger so you can be just about as accurate as shooting SA.

Hammer spurs are for cowboy guns!

Like these other guys, the trigger pull on mine is somewhere in the 10 pound range. But it's pretty smooth. Regarding lightening the trigger, promod's right in that you should be careful not to go too far for reliability. I installed a lighter spring in my SP101 and thought it was fine but one day shooting another brand of ammo, I had several failures to fire due to light strikes. I replaced it with an intermediate weight spring and it's been 100% ever since.

[Edit 2/27/16: new image link from Photobucket 'cause ImageShack dumped all our free accounts]
Last edited by Pat Cannon on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Cannon

Postby ZardozCZ on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Well the bank didn't post a deposit yet so I won't have this one, it'll be sold tomorrow to the second in line. Maybe not a bad thing.

Pat Cannon, that's a nice set of revolvers you're showing. That snubby doesn't look like it gets left home a lot. Odds are it's a frequent carry.

I'll find something in stainless when the money's straightened out. What bugs me is the bank likely has the funds, but just won't post it to MY account until Monday. Sigh.
ZardozCZ

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:02 pm

No no on aftermarket springs IMO. You get a revolver for the reliability. Thats really it plain and simple. IMO there is no other real advantage that matters in a defensive situation.
sgruenhagen44

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm

I have dry fired multiple Gp100s sp101s and I own an alaskan. All rugers. They all seem to have a decently smooth trigger but the alaskan feels the best because of the size of the grip. The GP seems pretty close. If ya want the smoothest DA you have to buy a s&W.
sgruenhagen44

Return to Handguns