Bullet size?? Colt Black powder Signature series 1851

Discussion of handguns

Bullet size?? Colt Black powder Signature series 1851

Postby tabberski on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Hello everyone, just picked up a Colt Black Powder Signature series Navy 1851. No box, caliber stamped, ect. So doing a little research it appears that the bullet should be a 36 caliber. Well looking at this website it shows two different diameter 36 caliber balls. Should it be .350 or the .375? That is a big difference in size. I hope it is alright to post this weblink. Well I would like to shoot this this weekend, so any direction would be appreciated.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Black_Powder ... -5583.aspx
tabberski

Re: Bullet size?? Colt Black powder Signature series 1851

Postby Shawski on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 am

My colt 2nd gen 1851 uses the .375 round balls. Take a caliper to your cylinder and measure the bore.
Shawski

Re: Bullet size?? Colt Black powder Signature series 1851

Postby Molasses on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 am

While there is almost certainly the exception out there that will prove the rule, standard size round ball out of a .36 C&B revolver is .375" That size will usually shave off a thin ring or sliver of lead as it's forced into the cylinder. This is a normal and desired result, as having the ball fit as tightly as possible not only helps keep it firmly down where it belongs (air spaces in BP load columns are not considered a good thing), it also helps in maintaining a seal to keep flashover from one chamber being fired from getting into the next and causing a chainfire or multiple discharge.
Molasses

Return to Handguns