First post - Thoughts on Kimber Solo CDP?

Discussion of handguns

Postby Kelor on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello all. First post here.

My main carry gun is a Glock 30SF. Even though it's relatively small, the size still prevents me from carrying often. I have resolved myself to the fact that carrying a smaller gun is better than not carrying at all, and have narrowed it down to a 9mm for a couple of reasons.

I do like the idea of having easy to access and cheaper ammo -- Yes I do like to shoot the guns I own. It drives me nuts every time I pull the trigger of my 45 or my 223. All I see is dollar signs. I have one 22 conversion kit and really enjoy plinking with it. Hindsight I should have just bought another 22 as I never switch from the conversion kit back to my Beretta.

Size is important, but so is at least some fire power. I'm ok with a good 9mm round.

Now off to the gun. I know the Kimber is expensive. I have also read all the naysayers on how it's finicky with ammo. The one thing I haven't read is that it has been finicky with any of the ammo that would be in your carry mags. Frankly, I want to spend some cash on something at least of the Kimber level and I can't seem to find any equivalents.

Any thoughts?
Kelor

Re: First post - Thoughts on Kimber Solo CDP?

Postby Thunder71 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Great gun from what I hear, some people think they are above Kimber and what they recommend in the manual, as a result some have issues.

Sig 938 is another hot one. Good luck finding either though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Thunder71

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:05 pm

In my opinion is that Kimber are just not worth the price. Well over a decade ago they made a name for themselves with low volume good quality 1911's, since then they have increased production and quality has dropped and customer service has gone missing. I'll never own another one and have parted with the ones I had. I'm a pretty loyal Springfield guys these days. Of course if money is not an issue then options like Dan Wesson, Baer, Brown and others are an option.
mmcnx2

Postby Kelor on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for the insight. I certainly know the hunt could take a while. I'm hoping that a low capacity magazine 9mm might be a bit easier to find?

I have held onto a Solo (not the CDP) up in St Cloud's Sheels and really liked it. I will have to try to find a Sig.

I don't see that Wesson or Baer offer a small gun. Am I missing something? Any other top notch custom manufacturers I should look at?
Kelor

Postby sawgrass on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Great gun from what I hear, some people think they are above Kimber and what they recommend in the manual, as a result some have issues.

Sig 938 is another hot one. Good luck finding either though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

There was a Sig938 at the Hastings show this am. It's a very nice looking gun.
Personally I don't care for how the Solo is weighted. I wanted one so bad and then when I held it was terribly disappointed.

Kelor if you want to ask a few questions regarding higher end lw carry guns in 9mm or anything else, try calling this guy.
Dave at DRC Firearms...615-289-9038.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Wesson has the ECO, Springfiled EMP, and STI has a compact also. All I would put far ahead of a Kimber.
mmcnx2

Postby Kelor on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 am

I appreciate the suggestions, but most of those are much larger than what I am looking for.

What I am looking for is an alternative to, not a replacement of, my Glock 30sf.

I might call Dave tomorrow to get some direction. I know it's a lousy time to search for such a gun. Gun stores are so busy, they can't really give you the time of day. One guy at Gander suggested to me that I just buy what is available, and not worry so much about getting the perfect gun. I found that rather amusing as the one very specific need (smaller) wasn't what he was showing me. I also already have several, so can now take my time to find the perfect one.

I'm off to Denver today. Maybe I can find something out there. :D
Kelor

Postby MNGunGuy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Is there a reason you are moving to SAO from striker for carry? What about a Shield or XD-S, which had a 9mm version released at SHOT?
Last edited by MNGunGuy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNGunGuy

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:05 pm

First off, welcome aboard here.

I think you just need to find the right gun for you. Maybe it's a Kimber, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Springfield, S&W, whatever works for you. I don't know anyone (other than Glock fans) who love every model from a manufacturer (they are like the Apple fanatics - only towards guns); so try a few different makes and models out by going to Bill's Gun Range and rent, try, then if one is available to buy, pick it up for a price. :)

I know in my own case, I'm looking at getting a Springfield XDs to carry concealed as a backup to my open carry EDC, which is an XDm (both are .45ACP). I also looked at the Sig "Pocket 9" P238, but that'd mean having another caliber of ammo to stock (not something I want to do) and besides that, I ended up liking the XDs over the Sig anyway after having checked both of them out. I don't want to have a lot of different caliber guns since that's more money unnecessarily spent on ammo just because you have various calibers, and if you want quantity (and/or quality), it can add up pretty quickly. Caliber is something to be considered as well, not just the make and model of gun purchased.

Right now I'm looking for an XDs and then after that, I'll get a Ruger 10/22 to add to my XDm and my Ruger Mark III 22/45, so in the end, I'll have 3 pistols, 1 rifle, and only need 2 calibers of ammo, .22LR and .45ACP. To me, that's better than having all sorts of guns in all sorts of calibers, so don't exclude caliber in your purchasing decisions, but this is all just my opinion, so do as you will.

I suggest the Springfield XDs, but you may not like it, or you might, so check it out. Just do some research and look for smaller pistols..Ruger LCP, Sig P238, Springfield XDs, these and others all fit into that category, so start there and good luck in your search.

EDIT: I now have the XDs.
Last edited by XDM45 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Pat Cannon on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi & welcome aboard.

For carry, I'd be wary of switching from your Glock to a gun with a manual safety. Please know: I'm not saying you can't walk and chew gum at the same time or remember a manual safety under stress, 'cause I don't know you and you might very well be more competent than me. But personally I switched from a 1911 to a revolver for that reason.

When my SP101 starts to feel a little too bulky or heavy (which is really only when I have to dress up for something), I kinda wish for an LCR. But I'm not one of those guys who thinks he'll ever need to shoot a large gang all at once.

I can't really advise you on compact autoladers, but if I had the money, I've wanted an H&K P7 for a long time, partly for its rep for revolver-like reliability. It's only a teeny bit thinner than your Glock but not as boxy.
Pat Cannon

Postby Kelor on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 pm

I couldn't help myself. One is being shipped to my FFL next week. :D

Now I have to purchase a couple of extended mags. As long as I'm at it, I might as well put an order in for some pmags. Thoughts on a good website?
Kelor

Postby Kelor on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:32 pm

I picked up the Solo this morning after church. I was so excited I forgot to pay the FFL (of course I was reminded just before leaving his house :mrgreen: )

I found field stripping it to be a breeze. What a nice clean setup. It was a bit tough at first to take the take down lever out, but I watched a youtube video on how to comfortably hold onto the gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59W8157Lw84

I did order 2 extra mags. One 6 round and one 8 round.

One thing I did notice is that the laser is just right of the target at 20 feet. I'm anxious to get to the range with this. I'm also anxious to find a holster. In addition to a iwb holster, I saw a skeleton holster by statureman that also might be nice to have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPmg2U81scg I was thinking a leather hybrid holster, but maybe I should just pick up both from him?
Kelor

Postby Kelor on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Bump just in case someone has some experience with statureman holsters.

Thoughts on his stature mini holster for iwb?
Kelor

Postby Kelor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:38 am

I'm still having a tough time deciding what holster to get for this gun.

My Glock sits in a holster under my steering column, and as I mentioned before, I always found it too bulky to carry on me.

The Kimber (finally shot 50 rounds through it this week) will be my carry gun.

Any thoughts on a skeleton holster would be appreciated. I really do like the idea of a pocket carry. Am I missing something?
Kelor

Postby grousemaster on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:35 am

A 9mm that can't reliably function with basic 115 grain FMJ's? Not my cup of tea.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Next

Return to Handguns