Ruger Alaskan and IDPA

Discussion of handguns

Ruger Alaskan and IDPA

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 pm

So i want to do some type of competitive shooting coming up this summer and the only gun I really have for this is my Ruger Alaskan. My question is this... Can you use an Alaskan in IDPA? I was reading the rule book on their website and all it said is that the weapon must be able to be concealed under our cool fishing vests or something like that. But anyways in my mind it is a gun that is able to be concealed but just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this. IDPA makes more sense than USPSA since I won't need to carry around as much stuff. Less reloads etc etc.
sgruenhagen44

Re: Ruger Alaskan and IDPA

Postby JJ on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 pm

You can use it, but it's gonna get expensive to shoot ina hurry I would imagine. The concealment portion of the rule does not discriminate against "printing". It just has to physically fit under a cover garment.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Doc Harvey on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Benny or Paul should be able to answer this...
Doc Harvey

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm

JJ wrote:You can use it, but it's gonna get expensive to shoot ina hurry I would imagine. The concealment portion of the rule does not discriminate against "printing". It just has to physically fit under a cover garment.

Nah I handload and I would just be using lead ammo. Only .12 a bullet from missouri bullet company. they would be pretty watered down too.
sgruenhagen44

Postby hicap45z on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 pm

The Ruger Alaskan is fine for IDPA.
Just find at least 3 speedloaders for it and a holster and speedloader pouches and you'll be fine.

You'd be shooting Stock Service Revolver division with it.
For that division all you need for ammo is 105,000 power factor so you can go pretty slow with a .44 bullet.

Kurt

(Minnetonka Game and Fish Club IDPA Match Director)
http://www.mgfc-action-shooting.org/idpa/index1.html
hicap45z

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm

hicap45z wrote:The Ruger Alaskan is fine for IDPA.
Just find at least 3 speedloaders for it and a holster and speedloader pouches and you'll be fine.

You'd be shooting Stock Service Revolver division with it.
For that division all you need for ammo is 105,000 power factor so you can go pretty slow with a .44 bullet.

Kurt

(Minnetonka Game and Fish Club IDPA Match Director)
http://www.mgfc-action-shooting.org/idpa/index1.html

thanks for the link. Thats not too far away. How does that power factor stuff work?
sgruenhagen44

Postby hicap45z on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:
thanks for the link. Thats not too far away. How does that power factor stuff work?

Power factor is bullet weight, in grains, times velocity, in fps.
So, to make 105,000 with a 240 grain bullet you need 438 fps minimum.
Spitball territory.
For background, in the Stock Service Revolver division the typical gun is a .38 special, so they recently lowered the power factor requirement to let factory .38 special ammo meet the minimum. With the typical 158 grain .38 cal bullet this means a minimum velocity of 665 fps (out of the max 4" barrel).
But when you're launching 240 grain bullets the necessary velocity is less. A lot less.

Oh, and BTW, our match schedule for 2013 is posted at
http://www.mgfc-action-shooting.org/idpa/calendar.html

Kurt
hicap45z

Postby westhope on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm

With it's 2-1/2 inch barrel, it would also work to shoot IDPA "BUG" matches. BUG matches are limited to 5 rounds.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby LumberZach on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am

JJ wrote:You can use it, but it's gonna get expensive to shoot ina hurry I would imagine. The concealment portion of the rule does not discriminate against "printing". It just has to physically fit under a cover garment.

Does this mean I can use an AR pistol? :D
LumberZach

Postby JJ on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 am

LumberZach wrote:

Be 9mm (9x19) or larger caliber.
Have a maximum unloaded weight of 39oz., including an empty magazine.
Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8” with an empty magazine inserted.

If you could meet htose thresholds, then sure :lol:
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:44 pm

JJ wrote:
LumberZach wrote:

Be 9mm (9x19) or larger caliber.
Have a maximum unloaded weight of 39oz., including an empty magazine.
Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8” with an empty magazine inserted.

If you could meet htose thresholds, then sure :lol:

Do all guns have to be less than 39 oz? Cuz then the Alaskan would be out :(
sgruenhagen44

Postby JJ on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Easiest way to find out would be to read the rules...

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf
JJ

Postby IDPA Shooter on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

There is a novel idea, that too few pay attention to, some just show up and hope it will all be explained to them. IDPA's new and hopefully clearer rulebook is due shortly. Not saying someone needs to read the rulebook, just check out the IDPA.com website and the 3 local clubs website for the broad strokes on what the sport is about.....divisions, basic rules, maybe check out vids on Youtube,see what a match looks like

Sent from my Xoom
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 am

IDPA Shooter wrote:There is a novel idea, that too few pay attention to, some just show up and hope it will all be explained to them. IDPA's new and hopefully clearer rulebook is due shortly. Not saying someone needs to read the rulebook, just check out the IDPA.com website and the 3 local clubs website for the broad strokes on what the sport is about.....divisions, basic rules, maybe check out vids on Youtube,see what a match looks like

Sent from my Xoom

Well in the ORIGINAL POST it says I was reading the rule book about how the matches are laid out and such. Seemed more appealing to me than Uspsa. Less crap hanging off guns and such. After reviewing the rules for a second time I discovered I would be shooting int he Enhanced Service Revolver class. And by the way I have watched plenty of you tube videos of IDPA lately. Spring is not far away and I have been reloading and not shooting much. Just waitin to get out.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 am

Yeah, your Alaskan is a couple oz. too heavy for Stock Service Revolver so you'll be in Enhanced, which is too bad 'cause it means you'll probably be competing against Smith 625s with their moon clips. If you get serious and want to start winning, you'll have to get really good at speedloader reloads.
Pat Cannon

Next

Return to Handguns