.45 vs 9mm ?

Discussion of handguns

Re: .45 vs 9mm ?

Postby sprigfan on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:11 pm

XDM45 wrote:
sprigfan wrote:
XDM45 wrote:I'm glad 9mm is popular because it makes my .45ACP ammo easier to find. :)

I wonder if this is going to last. With the popularity and extremely high demand for 9mm and. 40 right now, I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers slash production of other calibers.

.45ACP
9mm
.22LR
These and many other calibers aren't going to go away anytime soon.

Who said anything about calibers going away? I was merely saying that manufacturers may lower the production of. 45 to help keep up with demand for more popular calibers.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby Rem700 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:26 pm

sprigfan wrote:
XDM45 wrote:I'm glad 9mm is popular because it makes my .45ACP ammo easier to find. :)

I wonder if this is going to last. With the popularity and extremely high demand for 9mm and. 40 right now, I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers slash production of other calibers.

40 is one of the few that is usually available
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby sprigfan on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Rem700 wrote:
sprigfan wrote:

40 is one of the few that is usually available

That's good to hear. It's been cleaned out of every place I have been except one box left at walmart today. I guess I just havent been looking hard enough.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby cobb on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:40 am

As many agencies are discovering, modern robust expanding, barrier blind 9 mm ammunition is performing on par with larger caliber handgun loads, ...

So the 9mm expands to the diameter and more importantly retains the same energy as a .45 ACP? :?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 am

I've done balastic gel shoots with a few LE agencies and honestly the 9 bullet path is so close to 45 you need a ruler with 1/8 markings to tell the difference, of course using similiar ammo.

We run them with just the gel, through a door and windshield. In the end a 9 will get the job done just fine.

If you want to debate something, ammo would be the differentiator. Good ammo out of 9 will be much more effective than cheap stuff from a 45.

My advice, carry something you can shoot well and buy some defense ammo.
mmcnx2

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:06 am

Have you seen tests with the same ammo? Similar means nothing.

Posted from Tapatalk on my Galaxy Note II while using the restroom.
Thunder71

Postby Ron Burgundy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 am

Edited to remove. I'm kinda an ass.
Last edited by Ron Burgundy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Burgundy

Postby JustPlainT on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:48 am

.45 vs 9mm?

I used to have an argument for one over the other, but today my real decider is whichever is less popular in your area so you can still find the ammunition on the shelf!

Brooklyn Park FF seems to have its 9mm cleared out far faster than its .45 Auto, so while I used to mainly shoot 9mm I'm starting to switch over for the short term.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby ijosef on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:28 pm

They're both great calibers. I'm surprised no one has come in here and said "why choose 9mm or .45ACP when .40S&W is the best of both worlds?" yet. I remember someone starting a thread like that on another forum... pure entertainment.

Ultimately, both the 9mm and .45ACP are poor "manstoppers." I hate to use the term, but it's the best we have. Handguns are inherent compromises and are not the all powerful death dealers as portrayed in the movies. Pick whatever you like and shoot the best, whether it's 9mm/.45ACP/40S&W/.357Sig/10mm/etc. They're all marginal for stopping an attacker in comparison to a rifle or a properly loaded shotgun.
ijosef

Postby grousemaster on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 pm

ijosef wrote:They're both great calibers. I'm surprised no one has come in here and said "why choose 9mm or .45ACP when .40S&W is the best of both worlds?" yet. I remember someone starting a thread like that on another forum... pure entertainment.

Ultimately, both the 9mm and .45ACP are poor "manstoppers." I hate to use the term, but it's the best we have. Handguns are inherent compromises and are not the all powerful death dealers as portrayed in the movies. Pick whatever you like and shoot the best, whether it's 9mm/.45ACP/40S&W/.357Sig/10mm/etc. They're all marginal for stopping an attacker in comparison to a rifle or a properly loaded shotgun.

Actually, the .45ACP is a pretty good man stopped, as are the .357 mag and even .40 S&W, according to FBI statistics of one shot stops anyway. Obviously they are nowhere near a rifle or shotgun, but stats show they stop a man just fine.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby MNGunGuy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:53 pm

This is fairly decent to watch. 9 vs 45 vs a rifle from a doctors point of view. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA .. graphic medical content is shown in this video. It's not the end all be all but interesting to hear what doctors think.

The short of it.. Handguns are poor killing machines that rely on the crushing of tissue to kill. The bigger the bullet the better the chance of you hitting a vital organ, typically blood vessels. 6 out of 7 handgun gunshot victims survive. Rifles are much better killing machines, as long as you are at 400 yards or greater. :P
MNGunGuy

Postby XDM45 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 pm

grousemaster wrote:
ijosef wrote:They're both great calibers. I'm surprised no one has come in here and said "why choose 9mm or .45ACP when .40S&W is the best of both worlds?" yet. I remember someone starting a thread like that on another forum... pure entertainment.

Actually, the .45ACP is a pretty good man stopped, as are the .357 mag and even .40 S&W, according to FBI statistics of one shot stops anyway. Obviously they are nowhere near a rifle or shotgun, but stats show they stop a man just fine.

Agreed.

Hollywood portrays inaccuracy when it comes to firearms in all aspects.
No handgun will ever shoot as far or have the power of a rifle, true that as well.

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but the whole thing about "stopping power" ISN'T from the force of the bullet. It's about penetrating deep enough into the target without over-penetration coupled with fragmentation to cause a cavity with rapid blood loss while also providing an extensive shock to the nervous system at the same time. It's not that a .45ACP is going to knock them over like in the movies. It's also about placement. Better to hit them with a .22LR and be on the mark than to miss with a .45ACP, right? Exactly.

I say use what works. Look at the ballistics, work on placement, shooting techniques, etc etc etc et al, but use what works for you. I've shot a bunch of different calibers (as I'm sure we all have), and for me, I really feel the most comfortable with the .45ACP. I don't mind 9mm or .40, I actually like .357 too and I think a nice revolver in .357 is a good gun to get, so it's on my list as one of my "guns that everyone should have" guns. I'm also a huge fan of the .22LR, which I think is sort of an under-rated caliber in a lot of ways, but I have respect for it. It's not my first choice for a defensive caliber, but would I use it in a pinch or as a backup if needed and no better choice was around? You bet.

I've heard and read the arguments for and against 9mm and .45ACP, I've heard that the ballistics have changed and the pendulum swings from one to the other. Last I heard, the North Saint Paul Police were carrying actual Colt 1911 .45ACP as their carry weapon. I have relatives who are cops, they carry 9mm. One definite advantage 9mm has over .45ACP is the cost factor... Every time I pull the trigger, it goes *BANG*, but there's also a "CHA-CHING" sound too. Could be worse though. I know shooting rifles and a DE .50 cal isn't cheap either and is usually more expensive than my .45ACP rounds are.

I think the 9mm vs. .45ACP discussion is good because it usually spurs discussion and things change rather often when it comes to ballistics.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:This is fairly decent to watch. 9 vs 45 vs a rifle from a doctors point of view. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA .. graphic medical content is shown in this video. It's not the end all be all but interesting to hear what doctors think.

The short of it.. Handguns are poor killing machines that rely on the crushing of tissue to kill. The bigger the bullet the better the chance of you hitting a vital organ, typically blood vessels. 6 out of 7 handgun gunshot victims survive. Rifles are much better killing machines, as long as you are at 400 yards or greater. :P

Are we talking about "stopping", or killing? The goal of anyone firing a weapon in defense should be to stop the threat, not necessarily end the perps life.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:07 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:This is fairly decent to watch. 9 vs 45 vs a rifle from a doctors point of view. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA .. graphic medical content is shown in this video. It's not the end all be all but interesting to hear what doctors think.

All the more reason to have a huge magazine in your pistol (or in Heffay terminology "clip"). I'm sure LE would look down on the double-tap of love or going all "Walking Dead" on someone and doing Zombie headshots, but it works. :)

..and for the record, Carl is a kid, but he's one bad dude. :)
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby TTS on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Please read, it is the definitive work on handgun terminal ballistics.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns