.45 vs 9mm ?

Discussion of handguns

Re: .45 vs 9mm ?

Postby Mn01r6 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:17 pm

TTS wrote:Please read, it is the definitive work on handgun terminal ballistics.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

I think the last 2 sentences say it all: "Any bullet that will not pass through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

According to this, 147gr HSTs from my 9mm are pretty dang good but nowhere near as good as HSTs from a .45 (especially when going through heavy clothing):

Mn01r6

Postby TTS on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:
TTS wrote:Please read, it is the definitive work on handgun terminal ballistics.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

I think the last 2 sentences say it all: "Any bullet that will not pass through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

According to this, 147gr HSTs from my 9mm are pretty dang good but nowhere near as good as HSTs from a .45 (especially when going through heavy clothing):

They are virtually identical... 2 tenths of an inch difference in expansion and half an inch in penetration. The key factor with both calibers is shot placement.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby grousemaster on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm

How about one shot stop data? I'm a fan of the 9mm, and use one as my primary home defense/bed room pistol, so I'm no .45 fan boy. I used to spend hours looking at charts and ballistic data...****, it's fun. I just think there's a lot to be said for a heavier projectile causing more real world results. The proof should be in the pudding as far as one shot stops and battlefield testimony. I refuse to believe the 9mm is or ever will be as good or better a manstopper as the .45ACP. Plenty of folks out there actually using them in combat will agree. There's a reason the Marines just bought 10,000 1911's from Colt, and it's not for the more expensive ammo or lower magazine capacity.

I get that using ball ammo is a factor, but even that's not the full story. 9mm shines because of the cost of ammo, added capacity, less recoil (objective), and smaller guns. It's still not a .45. Although modern ammo has made the 9mm more than just "good enough". If you go just off ballistic charts and gel tests, the .40 wins hands down between the "big 3" pistol calibers.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Have you seen tests with the same ammo? Similar means nothing.

Posted from Tapatalk on my Galaxy Note II while using the restroom.

Well, same ammo is kinda hard. You have to push that darn 45 ammo real hard to get it to chamber in the 9, and the 9 stuff kinda rattles around in the 45. By similiar I was indocating same manufacturer, same type, obviously the bullet weights are different so same NO, similiar YES.
mmcnx2

Postby XDM45 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:

Well, same ammo is kinda hard. You have to push that darn 45 ammo real hard to get it to chamber in the 9, and the 9 stuff kinda rattles around in the 45. By similiar I was indocating same manufacturer, same type, obviously the bullet weights are different so same NO, similiar YES.

Dang it dude, I just spit up on my monitor. Thanks for the laugh. I gotta clean the Mt Dew off of it now. (GRIN)
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby TTS on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

grousemaster wrote:How about one shot stop data?

Street Results/One-Shot-Stop Percentages

Throughout the text, Marshall and Sanow offer "street results" which purport to show the "stopping power" and percentage of "one-shot stops" that particular handgun bullets have produced in actual shootings. On page 47 they write: "These street results are the heart and soul of this book on stopping power." Accurate, documented field data of bullet performance in actual shootings is a crucial adjunct to laboratory test results; unfortunately, valid information is very difficult to acquire. Their "field data" appears to be based on anecdotal "war stories" which are incomplete and unverified, as illustrated by the example below.

On page 121, Marshall and Sanow state: "The following five Glaser shootings come from Gene Wolberg, Senior Criminologist, San Diego Police Crime Lab." Mr. Wolberg, an author of this review, testified that only the third and fifth incidents described are fully documented and verifiable cases. Mr. Wolberg states he is only casually aware of the fourth incident and emphasizes that his second-hand information is undocumented. Mr. Wolberg denies all knowledge of the first two shooting reports Marshall and Sanow attribute to him. On pages 43 and 44, Marshall and Sanow discuss their data collection methodology:

"4. In order to be included in this study, I insisted on either having or at least being able to review some of the following: police reports, evidence technician reports, statements by the victim (if he survived), homicide reports, autopsy results, and photos. Whenever possible, I also talked to the emergency room doctors and attending physicians.

5. Recovered bullets were either personally examined or photographed by me, or I was provided with photographs of the bullets."

Mr. Wolberg never provided Marshall or Sanow any of the reports, test results, photos or evidence which they insist the inspect prior to including a shooting in their data base. As a result, the veracity of their entire data base is questionable. The verisimilitude of the author’s "street result" data is also in doubt since they violate basic principles of scientific research by not publishing their original data and by claiming "secrecy" when asked to identify their source documentation so that independent researchers who investigate wound ballistics could inspect their original information and verify their results.

Additionally, Marshall’s and Sanow’s "street results" and "one-shot stop" statistics fail to address what anatomic structures are disrupted and damaged by the bullet. They also ignore the crucial fact that many adversaries are incapacitated due to psychological rather than physiological reasons: they decide to stop, but are not forced to stop. While the degree and rapidity of any physiological incapacitation produced by a given bullet is predictable based on what anatomic structures the bullet disrupts and the severity of the tissue damage, psychological incapacitation is an extremely erratic, highly variable, and completely unpredictable individual human response which is independent of any inherent characteristics of the bullet. An eloquent critique analyzing the flaws of these "street results" and "one-shot stop" statistics is presented by Patrick.2

A typical example of the contradictions in this book is the following quotation from page 161, which indicates the authors are fully aware of the meaningless nature of these irrelevant and misleading "street results" and "one-shot stop" statistics:

"To make matters worse, all shooting results are anomalies, or single cases, unique to themselves. The data is strictly anecdotal. As such they blatantly defy direct comparison to one another. Each case is filled with variables almost beyond number. Some of these variables are real. Some are only perceived.

The real fact-based variables include, but are not limited to, the victim’s state of mind, the presence of alcohol or other behavior-modifying chemicals such as PCP, and the physical size and stamina of the victim. Other variables include the barrel length and bullet impact velocity, the generation and condition of ammo used, and the presence of obstacles that the bullet passed through to reach the intended target.

The largest variable in any gunfight is the exact path the bullet takes from entry until exit and the exact tissue the bullet engages. Two bullet paths can be identical from entry to exit. If one happens to nick something like a major artery or chip a bone in the spine, the results can be wildly different, even if the rest of the scenario is identical."

http://www.firearmstactical.com/afte.htm
Owner
TTS

Postby Evad on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:38 pm

I think we can all agree that regardless of caliber, it should be shot out of a Glock for full effect.

:hide:
Evad

Re: Re: .45 vs 9mm ?

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, that's about as similar as it gets.

mmcnx2 wrote:

Thunder71

Postby smokintone on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:51 pm

I can't belive the 9 vs 45 threads still come up :roll: Guess it will always be a debate.......
smokintone

Postby TTS on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 pm

smokintone wrote:I can't belive the 9 vs 45 threads still come up :roll: Guess it will always be a debate.......

I like the "get both" argument myself... :lol:
Owner
TTS

Postby MNGunGuy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 pm

grousemaster wrote:Are we talking about "stopping", or killing? The goal of anyone firing a weapon in defense should be to stop the threat, not necessarily end the perps life.

If I wanted to incapacitate someone I'd carry mace, a Taser and a net gun.
MNGunGuy

Postby Duff-Man on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm

There isn't a perfect caliber, if there was we would all use it.
Duff-Man

Postby xd ED on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Duff-Man wrote:There isn't a perfect caliber, if there was we would all use it.

There is, and some do. :stirthepot: :bolt:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby grousemaster on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Are we talking about "stopping", or killing? The goal of anyone firing a weapon in defense should be to stop the threat, not necessarily end the perps life.

Are you saying you want to kill? I don't get it. I keep a pistol on my body to stop a threat and keep myself/family safe.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Evad on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:13 pm

grousemaster wrote:
MNGunGuy wrote:

Are you saying you want to kill? I don't get it. I keep a pistol on my body to stop a threat and keep myself/family safe.

I was wondering if only I read it that way. I had the initial thought of "if I knew mace was always enough that would be it. I'd save tons of cash and time".
Evad

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns