.45 vs 9mm ?

Discussion of handguns

Re: .45 vs 9mm ?

Postby XDM45 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 pm

smokintone wrote:
TTS wrote:
smokintone wrote:I can't belive the 9 vs 45 threads still come up :roll: Guess it will always be a debate.......

I like the "get both" argument myself... :lol:

Both always works :D

True...but one works better than the other. That's why you get a .45ACP. After all, size matters :)

(just being a smarta** and having fun. No harm meant.)
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby 20mm on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:
20mm wrote:It's not the size of your bullet, but how you use it.

That's what she said!

+1 :)
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Cmezz331 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:50 am

Without reading any of this thread, I have 2 words.

Grizzly xtreme
Cmezz331

Postby smokintone on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 pm

I am a 9mm guy myself, but I am getting the itch for a nice 1911!
smokintone

Postby grousemaster on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:11 pm

smokintone wrote:I am a 9mm guy myself, but I am getting the itch for a nice 1911!

Same here. I'm in the "nine is fine" crowd, but I'm not foolish enough to think it's the equivalent of a .45ACP.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby smokintone on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 pm

It always goes without saying but, carry what your comfortable with. A 45 does you no good if you can't get good accurate follow up shots with it. +'s and -'s to both.

I look at it the same way with X brand of pistols, and what I tell students. Even if you go into a gun shop looking for your first carry gun, and everyone you know says GET YOURSELF A GLOCK! And then you go to your LGS and you pick one up and go....MEH! Don't buy it. If it doesn't feel right to you, don't get it. Find what feels right, because if you don't, you'll just end up not carrying, and then, what's the point :(
smokintone

Postby XDM45 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 pm

smokintone wrote:It always goes without saying but, carry what your comfortable with. A 45 does you no good if you can't get good accurate follow up shots with it. +'s and -'s to both.

I look at it the same way with X brand of pistols, and what I tell students. Even if you go into a gun shop looking for your first carry gun, and everyone you know says GET YOURSELF A GLOCK! And then you go to your LGS and you pick one up and go....MEH! Don't buy it. If it doesn't feel right to you, don't get it. Find what feels right, because if you don't, you'll just end up not carrying, and then, what's the point :(

Such heresy and blasphemy against the holy Glock. You know the tribunal will burn you at the stake for that, right?

Seriously, good advice. Same advice I give people. Find what works for you and use it. Maybe the gun you buy won't work for you down the road, maybe it will, look at the technical side of it, but trust your gut and what feels right to you. You have to fit the gun and the gun has to fit you. Same thing I said in a recent thread when it comes to buying a gun for your wife. You can pay for it, but let her pick it out.

Common sense. huh. Whodathunkit?
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby tazdevil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 pm

XDM45 wrote:
smokintone wrote:It always goes without saying but, carry what your comfortable with. A 45 does you no good if you can't get good accurate follow up shots with it. +'s and -'s to both.

Such heresy and blasphemy against the holy Glock. You know the tribunal will burn you at the stake for that, right?

Seriously, good advice. Same advice I give people. Find what works for you and use it. Maybe the gun you buy won't work for you down the road, maybe it will, look at the technical side of it, but trust your gut and what feels right to you. You have to fit the gun and the gun has to fit you. Same thing I said in a recent thread when it comes to buying a gun for your wife. You can pay for it, but let her pick it out.

Common sense. huh. Whodathunkit?

Glock shmock! All I hear is "Glocks are so light and easy to carry!" Yeah, well, a real man wears a gun that is as heavy as a boat anchor, and without proper belts, will pull the pants to the ground showing another hidden....ahem...gun shall we say. Sig P226 stainless, when you run out of rounds, you still have a weapon in your hands, but your a really bad shot then too. Tupperware guns are for storing your food accessories in.

(disclaimer, I never have owned, much less fired a Glock. I just can't get past the uber-ugliness of the thing, all boxey and non-sexy as it is. If you are reading this, you really need to get out more.)

:D
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Evad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Evad wrote:
xd ED wrote:No discussion of these two calibers is truly complete without considering the platform from which they're fired - Glock or 1911- as well as how it will be carried: open or concealed...:bolt:

I always thought it was "which Glock will you use?", I had no idea there was any other reasonable option. :P

Pay attention guys, we covered this already.
Evad

Previous

Return to Handguns