Ruger SR22? Ruger Mark III?

Discussion of handguns

Ruger SR22? Ruger Mark III?

Postby Username000 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:49 am

I'm in the market for a .22LR auto handgun. What do you think of the SR22? Does anyone here have experience with one? I was checking out the Mark III but everyone seems to think field stripping it is terrible. Input would be appreciated.

Username000 wrote:I was actually thinking of using it to introduce my friends to handguns by using a smaller cartridge. Bring some more allies to the cause.
Last edited by Username000 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://darkiceco.webs.com
T-Shirts, Cool Dogtag Necklaces, Tech/Computer Services,
Advertising Services, and much more!
Username000

Re: Ruger SR22? Ruger Mark III?

Postby Evad on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:24 am

I fired an SR22, really like it, but too small. I prefer the mosquito and the MP22 personally, both are larger and I founf them to be fairly reliable. My mosquito is good until I scrape the bottom of the marrel on ammo. It doesn't like thunderbolts. I have a 10% failure rate with them. Everything else it was rock solid with so far.
Evad

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 am

The Walther P22q and S&W M&P 22 are worth a look as well, I preferred the Walther over the Ruger in the hand and at the range but they are both fairly small, both were reliable with a variety of ammunition I tested. I'd put a browning buckmark in your "to consider" list if you're shopping the Mark III - I found the trigger/grip angle on the Buckmark felt/functioned better for me.
yuppiejr

Postby Sigfan220 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 am

The MKIII's are tack drivers, but yes a pain to strip. I only strip mine(MKII but same thing more or less) down once every 2,000 rounds or so. Other than that I just wipe them down and run a bore snake through the barrel. The others will shoot fine, but nothing like a MKIII. If you just want something to spray bullets with any will do. If you plan to hunt or like a little accuracy you may want to look at the MKIII.
Sigfan220

Postby Username000 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:The MKIII's are tack drivers, but yes a pain to strip. I only strip mine(MKII but same thing more or less) down once every 2,000 rounds or so. Other than that I just wipe them down and run a bore snake through the barrel. The others will shoot fine, but nothing like a MKIII. If you just want something to spray bullets with any will do. If you plan to hunt or like a little accuracy you may want to look at the MKIII.

I was actually thinking of using it to introduce my friends to handguns by using a smaller cartridge. Bring some more allies to the cause.
http://darkiceco.webs.com
T-Shirts, Cool Dogtag Necklaces, Tech/Computer Services,
Advertising Services, and much more!
Username000

Postby Sigfan220 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Any would do in that case. I do think the MKIII's are worth a closer look. I like the 22-45 models and have two(MKII) They feel a lot like a larger handgun but shoot like a 22. I have a Comp Target too, too light of a trigger for new shooters.

The others may field strip faster but are not built to the same quality as a MKIII. Plus depending on the shooter the grips can feel small on the others 22's listed. I can't shoot a Walther or Sig 22 nearly as well as the larger framed 22's.
Sigfan220

Postby Ron Burgundy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Mark iii 22/45

Super accurate and will outlast you. Sure, they are kinda a pain to strip but you'll get the hang of it. They will run fairly dirty too -- you can delay a good cleaning for a long time
Ron Burgundy

Postby Rodentman on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 pm

After spending 9 hours one day re-assembling my MKIII I now know how to do it. Installing a kit to do away with the magazine safety is a huge advantage. Now if I could only find some ammo for the stinking thing.
Rodentman

Postby GlenR on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Ruger SR22!

Had mine for some time now. Love it. Nice to shoot. Nice to dissamble and clean. I personaly like the look. Everyone that shoots it likes it. And a few have even purchased one.
:geek:
GlenR

Postby MXGreg on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Being a lefty I decided to go with the SR22 because of the ambidextrous controls. I also have not seen a bad review of it and they say it will shoot any 22lr ammo, not just the good stuff. I'll be picking it up next week and then I'll see if it shoots as good as they say.
MXGreg

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:18 pm

I own both a mark III 22/45 and a smith and wesson m&p22. Both great guns. Would like to hook into a sr22. Shot one once last year and it was a good shooter...
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby infidel on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:25 pm

If you are going to shoot the piss out of it, I choose the MarkIII. If you are gonna carry it, maybe you want the SR22 in your pocket. For me the MarkIII will not miss a range trip, although I have never shot a Walther .22. :mrgreen:
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby XDM45 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:41 pm

1) Get the Sam Lam bushing (I made a post on this forum about the info, contact, etc) if you get the Ruger Mark III 22/45. It, along with doing several takedowns to loosen things up a bit, will greatly reduce your frustration.

2) You are more than welcome to try mine out anytime.

3) I can also do the takedown and teach you how to reassemble it. A friend of mine spent hours on it, watched videos, all the same stuff I did, and it wasn't until someone showed me how, that I got it. It wasn't until I did it a few times, that I got it right.

It's a great gun and I can take it down and reassemble it now in seconds.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Nalez on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Username000 wrote:I'm in the market for a .22LR auto handgun. What do you think of the SR22? Does anyone here have experience with one? I was checking out the Mark III but everyone seems to think field stripping it is terrible. Input would be appreciated.

It depends what you are looking to do. if you are looking for a targeting pistol; the MK-III is a great platform; or a MK-II if you can get one. The first 5 times or so stripping the MK-III is a PITA; but as you get use to it; and figure out the various tricks; it becomes easier. My MK-III is easy to clean when compared to my AR...
Nalez

Postby blacktornado11 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Do what I did. Bought the MKIII 22/45 on Thursday, and got the girlfriend (read another one for me) SR22 today before work :D Best of both worlds!
In all seriousness though, both are fun guns and will do you fine! :ugeek:
blacktornado11

Next

Return to Handguns