Sig P290RS or Kimber Solo?

Discussion of handguns

Postby patrick on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm looking to spend some of my hard earned cash on an "upper end" compact 9mm.These two are in the running but I've heard bad things about both.What do you folks think?Who has one of these and what do you think of it?Maybe I'll check into the Rorbaugh too.Did I spell that right?
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Re: Sig P290RS or Kimber Solo?

Postby Spartan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:40 pm

sig 938 .... nice gun accurate no problems ... cant help w/ 290
Spartan

Postby Kelor on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Probably the only thing bad you've heard about the Kimber is the possibility that 115 grain won't always cycle. So far, that has not happened to me. I'm actually hoping that it does so I can learn from it. I'm also learning that it rarely happens to anyone. Regardless, my carry ammo is 124 gr, so it's not an issue.

The other potential negative of the Kimber is the "relatively" few choices of holsters available.

I guess the big question is whether you want to spend the extra $$ for the Kimber and if you want a single action or double.
Kelor

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:01 pm

If your gonna spend that much for a 9mm single stack, just got with a Springfield EMP 9mm 1911. Or save some cash, and get a Glock 26 Gen4.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby patrick on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 pm

I wouldn't do an EMP because they are too spendy and I won't carry "cocked and locked".If it has a half cock that would be okay.The G26 is too thick.Need a single stacker for summer carry.A G27 would be cool since I have a 9mm conversion barrel that will fit it,but still too thick for the summer.It looks like I finally found a Shield in 9mm so I can dump my Shield .40.Gonna have to do something about the trigger though.The Shield probably has the worst trigger I've ever felt on any hand gun.I'm hoping the Apex kit will do it.
patrick

Postby rugersol on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 am

Sig P938!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 am

patrick wrote:I wouldn't do an EMP because they are too spendy and I won't carry "cocked and locked".If it has a half cock that would be okay.The G26 is too thick.Need a single stacker for summer carry.A G27 would be cool since I have a 9mm conversion barrel that will fit it,but still too thick for the summer.It looks like I finally found a Shield in 9mm so I can dump my Shield .40.Gonna have to do something about the trigger though.The Shield probably has the worst trigger I've ever felt on any hand gun.I'm hoping the Apex kit will do it.

So you won't carry a 1911 style firearm because correct carry of the firearm should be cocked and locked.

Let me ask you another question... Do you carry with a round in the chamber with you carry weapon of your choosing? If not I highly suggest you do not carry any kind of firearm...
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby patrick on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:
patrick wrote:I wouldn't do an EMP because they are too spendy and I won't carry "cocked and locked".If it has a half cock that would be okay.The G26 is too thick.Need a single stacker for summer carry.A G27 would be cool since I have a 9mm conversion barrel that will fit it,but still too thick for the summer.It looks like I finally found a Shield in 9mm so I can dump my Shield .40.Gonna have to do something about the trigger though.The Shield probably has the worst trigger I've ever felt on any hand gun.I'm hoping the Apex kit will do it.

So you won't carry a 1911 style firearm because correct carry of the firearm should be cocked and locked.

Let me ask you another question... Do you carry with a round in the chamber with you carry weapon of your choosing? If not I highly suggest you do not carry any kind of firearm...

Thanks for your concern.It depends on what I'm carrying and how I'm carrying it.If you want to carry a 1911 style pistol "cocked and locked" I suggest you wear bullet proof pants/undies/shoes.If not I highly suggest you do not carry at all.
patrick

Postby rugersol on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:44 am

... remember when men used to settle their disputes with a pistol duel?!

Ya both could easily settle this! ... one of ya starts with yer gun cocked 'n locked ... and the other ... well :? ...
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby patrick on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:57 am

Or we could keep this thread on topic.Just an idea.
patrick

Postby rugersol on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:58 am

Kimber! ... definitely the Kimber!
rugersol

Postby tman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:22 pm

patrick wrote:
Thanks for your concern.It depends on what I'm carrying and how I'm carrying it.If you want to carry a 1911 style pistol "cocked and locked" I suggest you wear bullet proof pants/undies/shoes.If not I highly suggest you do not carry at all.

I think JM Browning would laugh at you.

It's designed to be carried hammer-back, chamber loaded, safety on.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:22 pm

patrick wrote:
PHATSPEED7x wrote:

And I would suggest that you do a little more studying on the design and function of the 1911 pistol...
Erud

Postby patrick on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:29 pm

tman wrote:
patrick wrote:

I think JM Browning would laugh at you.

It's designed to be carried hammer-back, chamber loaded, safety on.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.

Maybe he would.But he can't.He's dead.I'll carry WHAT I want,any WAY I want.I suggest you all do the same.
patrick

Postby rugersol on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:30 pm

tman wrote:It's designed to be carried hammer-back, chamber loaded, safety on.

What would you know?! ... Glock-boy!

... anyhow, I'll go ahead 'n disagree with ya! ...

I'll contend the spur hammer was serrated much like the 1873 SAA ... to be used by men on horseback ... in much the same manner! As to the thumb-safety, I'll contend this was for reholstering, w/o the need to otherwise decock the pistol ... on horseback!

:bolt:
rugersol

Next

Return to Handguns