Looking for a fair value

Discussion of handguns

Looking for a fair value

Postby JohnGageMN on Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 am

I'm considering buying a revolver from a friend of mine and want to figure out a fair price to offer him. It's a Taurus "Old" Model 66, the six shot version, approximately mid-80's production I'm guessing. 6" barrel and stainless steel with wood grips. It needs some TLC, has some stuff on the outside of the barrel that needs to be cleaned up and needs one of the screws for the sideplate that locks the yoke in. The cylinder has a slight rotational rattle at lock-up, but the chambers all align properly and the timing is spot on. Trigger break is good and the bore looks in good shape other than needing a good cleaning.

The guy I would potentially buy it from is a brother from my motorcycle club so my goal isn't to screw him down to the cheapest possible price, but to arrive at a fair price that good for both of us. So I'm looking for some help on a value for this wheel gun, any ideas?
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Re: Looking for a fair value

Postby rugersol on Thu May 02, 2013 11:40 am

No offense, at all! ...

... I wouldn't buy the gun!

Not 'cause it's a Taurus ... I think Taurus makes some perfectly fine revolvers!

But, the fact remains, the original owner most likely paid under $400 for it ... any other brand new gun is worth about 2/3 of a good price, once ya step out the door ... so if it were LNIB, it'd be worth about $230! ... less, at Tauri typically have horrible resale value!

Sounds like it's missing a part?! ... needs to be cleaned?! ... needs "TLC"?! ... IOW, it's been very poorly maintained.

If it was me?! ... I'd maybe offer him $50! ... no ****! ... it's a "project" ... to see if I can clean it up, and make a $230 gun, outta it!

I'd rather spend $300+ on a used Ruger 'er S&W!

If you guys are any kinda friends ... and wanna stay that way ... I'd come up with a good excuse to not buy his gun ... and leave it at that!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Ramoel on Thu May 02, 2013 12:38 pm

My firearms collectors price and reference guide lists the Taurus 66 as follows:
New in box $360
Excellent $275
Very Good $225
Fair $125
Poor $100

Your description sounds no better than fair and probably closer to poor.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby JohnGageMN on Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm

rugersol wrote:No offense, at all! ...

... I wouldn't buy the gun!

Not 'cause it's a Taurus ... I think Taurus makes some perfectly fine revolvers!

But, the fact remains, the original owner most likely paid under $400 for it ... any other brand new gun is worth about 2/3 of a good price, once ya step out the door ... so if it were LNIB, it'd be worth about $230! ... less, at Tauri typically have horrible resale value!

Sounds like it's missing a part?! ... needs to be cleaned?! ... needs "TLC"?! ... IOW, it's been very poorly maintained.

If it was me?! ... I'd maybe offer him $50! ... no ****! ... it's a "project" ... to see if I can clean it up, and make a $230 gun, outta it!

I'd rather spend $300+ on a used Ruger 'er S&W!

If you guys are any kinda friends ... and wanna stay that way ... I'd come up with a good excuse to not buy his gun ... and leave it at that!

No offense taken, and I hope you won't take any at this: where in the heck have you seen a half-way decent Ruger or S&W .357 for around $300 lately? In a K frame size?

I don't have a ******* of disposable income at the moment due to upcoming expenditures of building a new deck and getting gutters installed on my humble abode. I also don't mind putting my own elbow grease into things to save money. I'm just trying to find out how much it's honestly worth if all it needs is a screw and some spit and polish. (Insert "That's what she said" joke)

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby JohnGageMN on Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Ramoel wrote:My firearms collectors price and reference guide lists the Taurus 66 as follows:
New in box $360
Excellent $275
Very Good $225
Fair $125
Poor $100

Your description sounds no better than fair and probably closer to poor.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! 8-)

JohnGageMN

Return to Handguns