Carry weapon

Discussion of handguns

Carry weapon

Postby CoalCreek on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:46 am

So I acquired my ptc a few months ago and have since carried a couple different weapons and am trying to continue to figure out what works and what doesn't. First I carried a G29 with a pearce +0 pinky extension in an Old Faithful IWB, and that proved to be too fat to comfortably carry and fully conceal for me in "not winter" as I like the idea of deep concealment. So I picked up a G27, no extension, and have been carrying it in a Galco Stow-N-Go at 3 or 4 o'clock depending on what I'm wearing. While it is way, way more comfortable, thinner and easier to conceal than the G29, I'm beginning to realize as layers of clothes peal off with Summer ensuing that it's perhaps still too fat to conceal up to my standards (which may or may not be unreasonable, who knows, but keeping printing to an absolute minimum without falling below 9mm caliber is still top priority). I'm not a mammath, but I'm far from small at 6'2" 240lb with a nice gut and a wide frame, so that is surely to my advantage. Now currently tossing around the idea of trying out an XDs 45 or 9...I think they're identical in size. Yet caliber is basically irrelevant at this point, and what I'm really wondering is if anyone who also has interest in deep conceal in summer clothes (sorry James Yeager, not interested in carrying a G19) could share their experience with choosing the right weapon for them and what/how they conceal in minimal, warm-weather clothing. I'm not thrilled about the idea of pocket carry or an ankle holster, but I'm open to whatever works to keep my ccw concealed. Thanks in advance.

-Carry Noob
Last edited by CoalCreek on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling, there are rules."
CoalCreek

Re: Carry weapon

Postby CoalCreek on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:49 am

Mods: realizing that this might have been better suited to be posted in 'Carry Issues'. My apologies if that is the case.
CoalCreek

Postby Hmac on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 am

Personally, I have found that single-stack pistols are easier to deal with and more comfortable IWB, or print less OWB, because they tend to be thinner. I would be looking at a Shield or PPS. I have a PPS and find it to be easiest to work with in the widest variety of circumstances.
Hmac

Postby bstrawse on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:48 am

I'm 5-8 and about 245lbs usually. I carry a G19 in a Milt Sparks VM-2 (IWB) or in a Sideguard "The Slide" OWB without any problems - even in shorts and a t-shirt.

I also own a Glock 26 - but the G19 is my preferred carry gun. I wouldn't recommend ankle or off-body carry.

B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby goett047 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 am

I'm 6' 200lbs and I carry my Glock 19 or 30 IWB with a Remora no problems
goett047

Postby JustPlainT on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 am

It's all preference, but for most carry options I'd recommend a single stack design because it'll be thinner.

I don't have funds to grab an XD-S or a Shield, but those are IMO the best overall for carrying when you want minimal printing.

My current EDC is a PPK/S. Old but works. And slimmer than all the double stack designs.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 am

g26 or G36 IWB 4 or 5 o'clock - shorts/pants with a good heavy duty belt and an untucked hawaiian shirt -

or snubbie revolver pocket carry.

Thing that gets most guys is they don't adjust the size of their clothing to allow for the extra room you need for IWB or the extra bagginess needed for pocket carry. Skinny jeans are not a good choice for a lot of reasons - ALOT OF REASONS - :shock: :o :D - So a few new pair of jeans/shorts a size larger than what you normally wear may help - or get some exercise, throw in a salad every once in a while and drop some weight so your clothes are a little looser.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:58 am

I carry my smith and wesson m&p9c in a forest city tactical owb kydex holster. Conceal it under my hoodie. This cool summer has allowed me to not have to use a iwb holster yet. :-o

Sent from a tracked government phone...
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:59 am

Since you asked, for deep concealment in summer clothes, pocket carry or IWB works well. My favorite guns for this are my M&P Shield and my S&W J-Frame.

These days my normal everyday carry is my M&P 9c with a mounted light. I carry it in a custom kydex holster I made myself. It's similar to those made by Raven, PHLster, 101, and others. If you want one made I can hook you up with some of my guys who build them on the side.

If you want custom leather, I recommend SideGuard.

With the right kind of holster and clothing selection, you can carry just about any full-sized pistol. As other posters have suggested, try going one size larger in your concealment shirts.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby arizona98tj on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm

I live in Phx, AZ and so I see "not winter" carry about 8 months of the year.

I typically wear an untucked loose fitting button up, polo, or t-shirt over a OWB holster about 95% of the time when I CCW. If the social situation dictates a more formal attire, I will ankle carry a 38 Spl snubby along with a NAA PUG 22 Mag in my pocket. I don't wear shorts.

For quite a few years, I've been carrying a Kahr PM9 (the more cost effective CM9 was not available when I bought the PM9) but recently got the .45ACP bug again and so started carrying the Springfield XD-S. I've no plans for obtaining the 9mm version. If you are interested, you are welcome to browse a review I just put online, Small Handguns for Concealed Carry. The handgun section of the website has another write-up or two on the Springfield XD-S.
Last edited by arizona98tj on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arizona98tj

Postby XDM45 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:50 pm

I vote for the XDs for IWB CC. I was looking at the M&P Shield, XDM 3.8" (Compact), and the XDS (all in .45ACP), and I went with the XDs. I have a great IWB holster for it (made by Foxx Holsters) which you are free to try out if you like before you buy. I actually picked the XDs and holster up on this forum from someone on here.

Springfield XDs .45ACP with IWB Foxx Holster (2 x 5-round and 1 x 7-round Magazines (Not Shown) with it for now. More 7-rounders coming.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby CoalCreek on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:46 am

Thanks for the input. Looks like I should a) look into trading my dark earth gen 3 G27 for an XDs, 45 I suppose, b) buy some new pants and a good belt, and c) go for a run here and there and replace those frozen pizzas with salads :lol: Wish XS made big dots for the XDs. Only a matter of time I suppose.
CoalCreek

Postby rtwills on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I am about same size as you and I carry my g21 every day , owb and people I know have to tap me to see if it is there. I always wear a t-shirt with a button down short sleeve unbuttoned and untucked. If I do happen to want to wear shorts and just a t-shirt , I carry a .380 in a back pocket wallet holster.
What if the Hokey Pokey really isn't what it's all about???
rtwills

Postby gun_fan111 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm

My normal carry is a CM9 IWB, but I recently acquired a DB380 for a pocket carry.

Then again I also got an officers 1911 .45 for those extra cold days ;) :D
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby Synergy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 pm

I held an XDS last week and really liked it, as of right now that's what I would get for a carry gun. There coming out with the 9mm version soon I think but I'm not getting into the 9mm vs .45 argument. :bolt:
Synergy

Next

Return to Handguns