Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter review

Discussion of handguns

Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter review

Postby tabberski on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:48 pm

First day out (FDO) review of the new toy/tool.
Very nice brushed stainless finish, no machining marks.
Grip looks very nice. Id like to see some rubber grips made for this with the grips being so smooth and slightly small in my large hands.
Trigger pull good, not excellent. A little work will be done on this.
Sights adjustable rear with orange insert front sight.
Bisley hammer was user friendly, I'm sure it is an advantage with a scope mounted, but that we will see later.

Shooting the revolver with three different handloads: I brought out both FNL and jacketed soft point bullets mild to full power. Recoil was very tolerable thanks to both the full length barrel rib and the Bisley grips. The recoil wasn't so much up as it was into the palm of your hand. So none of the wrist wrenching I had experience with the standard Super Blackhawk frame/grip.

Accuracy, well I need glasses. So groups were okay, the freezer would be full but nothing to brag about. Just shooting iron sights at the moment. A scope will be installed in the near future.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the purchase. I found one on the website Grabagun for $615.00 plus the $6.00 shipping fees. That is a hundred dollars less then found anywhere else.
0862.jpg
0862.jpg (17.12 KB) Viewed 7395 times

Poor boys trigger job completed. Trigger pull is smoother and lighter.
http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm
tabberski

Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter review

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 pm

What caliber is this beautiful beast?
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby tabberski on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:09 pm

.44 Magnum. Ribbed for your pleasure. Motto "Git er Done".
But seriously I'm extremely happy with the purchase, and recoil is better then I had hoped for. For me it will take a scope to really see what it can do. The plan is to try out some 310 grain slugs in the next week. The trigger mods probably cut the trigger pull by a third. :rock:
tabberski

Postby rugersol on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:42 am

I used to have one ... very nice guns! ... I basically "exchanged" mine for a .41 flattop!

IMO, the Blackhawk's are highly underrated!

I think most folks ain't keen on the SAA design ... years ago, I wasn't! ... but, I tried one ... then another ... then started shootin SASS ... then several more!

I've had a S&W 629 for a lot longer ... still do! ... but when it's time to shoot, the S&W stays home!

Years ago, I'd blow off a couple boxes at the 50yd line at OGC ... usually at least one box, one-handed ... apparently, a few other folks never seen nothin like that!

If ya can get up around Hugo on Tuesday afternoons in September, IIRC, bald eagle has a "deer pistol" league that's a purdy good time ... very good way to see what you n yer pistol are capable of!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Synergy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 am

Very nice gun, I almost bought one several months ago but decided on the Super Redhawk.
Synergy

Postby Fat Buffalo on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks for selling me the beast Rugersol!!! I love it, shot it today as a matter of fact!!!! :D
Fat Buffalo

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 pm

tabberski wrote:.44 Magnum. Ribbed for your pleasure. Motto "Git er Done".
But seriously I'm extremely happy with the purchase, and recoil is better then I had hoped for. For me it will take a scope to really see what it can do. The plan is to try out some 310 grain slugs in the next week. The trigger mods probably cut the trigger pull by a third. :rock:

Are those 310 grain slugs out of my mold? If yes, Let me know if you need to borrow again.
I had good luck with WIN296 mostly, but tried 2400, IMR4227, and a few others also. Use magnum primers with ball powders.
I used my 10.5 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 1.5 pound trigger for IHMSA Competition, back when I could see without a scope. I also had a NEI 320 grain with a gascheck version that got me boosted to the Unlimited Class instead of Production Class IHMSA.
OldmanFCSA

Postby rugersol on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 am

Fat Buffalo wrote:Thanks for selling me the beast Rugersol!!! I love it, shot it today as a matter of fact!!!! :D

Good fer you! ... that gun practically begs to be shot! ... still as good as new, I'll bet?! ... I shoulda charged ya more! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby tator2k on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 am

I've used this exact model for whitetail over the past few years and love it. Added a 4x scope to it using the included rails.

Love the 240 gr XTP HP.
tator2k

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 am

And recalling some wisdom and a sad story told to me by 1911fan, reloading for a Super Blackhawk is in another level from loads you can put in a 629. 1911's son screwed up big time when he took the low serial # 629 to go shooting, and carelessly grabbed a box of reloads clearly labeled "Super Blackhawk Reloads!! The cylinder on the 629 came home in two pieces, and Pete was a wee bit honked off about that. Dunno what loads Pete cooked up, but I suspect there were "Coonanish" in their general performance. If any n00bs read this, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT RELOADING SOMETHING JUST FOR A SUPER BLACKHAWK!! This is something you do after you've been reloading AT LEAST 20 years, and have a chrono and all the other goodies, and know EXACTLY WTF you're doing!!

I could never get past the Bisley grips myself, and didn't like having to fully reposition a .454 after every shot, so that's something I never got into, but Super Blackhawks and Redhawks are very nice guns.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby floydster on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:21 pm

One of the most accurate guns I have, I love the straight back push of the Bisley--this gun is a hunters dream:)
The 240 gr. SWC is one if it's fav's.
Gun pic's 002.jpg
floydster

Return to Handguns