Glock34

Discussion of handguns

Glock34

Postby Firefighter194 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm in the hunt for a new handgun. I've never been a fan of Glock, I've always had Springfields or S&W. I somehow found myself on the Glock website today though and was looking at the G34. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this particular model? Would a FN or HK better fit my needs for a entry level 9mm for uspsa competition? What is everyone else using? Just trying to get some opinions here before I drop all that money on a new handgun.

Thanks guys/gals
Last edited by Firefighter194 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firefighter194

Re: Glock34

Postby CarRacer on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:42 pm

I asked something similar recently. Hopefully this helps: http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40994&hilit=+34
CarRacer

Postby Firefighter194 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks CarRacer,

That does help out a little bit, I suppose I could have did a search first but I was on my cell phone when posting this thread and didn't want to deal with a search at the time. So by the looks of it I will have a hard time finding one or I will have to pay way above retail price. Hmmm decisions, decisions.......
Firefighter194

Postby rugersol on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 am

I shot a G34 in Production more than a few years ago! ... IMO, ya don't need to do anything with the trigger ... or sights ... or anything else!

That said, I also shot a G20 ... and while the slide certainly changed the feel, I preferred the shorter sight-radius ... and otherwise don't believe the extended cut-out G34/G35 slide offers significant benefit!

... if yer grip is that loose, a longer slide ain't the cure!

I'd definitely go with the gen 4 ... if ya end up shooting a lot, with other guns, ya may end up with a particularly high grip ... that's what the new gen 4 beavertails are for! ;)

If ya go with a G17, then I'd definitely put a new connector in it!

CZ SP-01 is a good gun ... as is P226 ... and others ... what ya'll find is, the less ya spend, the more it costs to get a nice trigger in it! ... IMO, SRT P226 is GTG, outta the box!

Figure $100 - $150 more for a decent trigger in a M&P er XDM ... vs. a $30 connector for a Glock, I'd say that's a no-brainer!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Ron Burgundy on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 am

G34 is my current favorite striker fired pistol. I like the extra slide length on the 34 over my 17. I put the glocktriggers.com Vogel trigger in mine recently. I really like it but a polish job gets you similar results (but not the shorter reset). IMO, putting Warren Tactical Sevigny Competition sights on a Glock is the best upgrade you can do. Sure, the stock sights are just fine but the Sevignys are super fast.

I vote for Gen4 too. Best texture yet, fatter mag release, extra mag (3 total) and the option for the beavertail.
Ron Burgundy

Postby IDPA Shooter on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:37 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:G34 is my current favorite striker fired pistol. I like the extra slide length on the 34 over my 17. I put the glocktriggers.com Vogel trigger in mine recently. I really like it but a polish job gets you similar results (but not the shorter reset). IMO, putting Warren Tactical Sevigny Competition sights on a Glock is the best upgrade you can do. Sure, the stock sights are just fine but the Sevignys are super fast.

I vote for Gen4 too. Best texture yet, fatter mag release, extra mag (3 total) and the option for the beavertail.

Agree, and the new Gen 4's now come with 4 grip inserts, two regular and 2 with the beavertail. Put it in a Comp-Tac or Bladetech holster and you are ready to go. BTW you do need good vision for the Warren Tactical sights as they are thin and hard for older folks to see. Also, you can get magazines for the GLOCK. The M&P Pro is a great gun, good luck finding factory mags for it at a decent price.
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby mnmike59 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:35 am

Yup, love my G34.
Do not shoot Winchester Whitebox ammo for competition or self defense. The primers are harder than other brands (at least it use to be) and you will have an occasional failure.
However....there is an aftermarket striker available that will work.
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby PRS on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Get the G34. It's a great production gun at any level. Sigs, Hk's, ect would not be better guns, only thing that i would even consider would be a CZ Shadow. Get the 34, swap out the trigger for a Glocktriggers.com trigger, put on some sevigny sights, and start dryfiring the piss out of it. I've got maybe 10k rounds through mine the last two seasons, love my gun will prob never buy a new one.
PRS

Postby Ron Burgundy on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:02 pm

PRS wrote:Get the G34. It's a great production gun at any level. Sigs, Hk's, ect would not be better guns, only thing that i would even consider would be a CZ Shadow. Get the 34, swap out the trigger for a Glocktriggers.com trigger, put on some sevigny sights, and start dryfiring the piss out of it. I've got maybe 10k rounds through mine the last two seasons, love my gun will prob never buy a new one.

What striker spring do you use? I haven't tried anything lighter than the 4.5.
Ron Burgundy

Postby PRS on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Um I forget... I'd have to ask Mvvrooomm what i bought from him when I resprung it this spring.... My pull is right around 2.9 pounds.. any lighter i'd need to be picky on ammo
PRS

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am

PRS wrote:Um I forget... I'd have to ask Mvvrooomm what i bought from him when I resprung it this spring.... My pull is right around 2.9 pounds.. any lighter i'd need to be picky on ammo

That's where the Jager striker comes in.
MNGunGuy

Postby PRS on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:10 am

The Jager Striker?
PRS

Postby Firefighter194 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 pm

IDPA Shooter wrote:The M&P Pro is a great gun, good luck finding factory mags for it at a decent price.

I have the M&P Pro 40, even before the "scare" mags were going for $40 or more a piece. I needed a few more so I ended up biting the bullet and got some while I could find them.
Firefighter194

Postby kowalzekc on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I have been debating on getting either the 34 or the 17 for a while now. is the G34 much better than the 17?
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby Ron Burgundy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Yes
Ron Burgundy

Next

Return to Handguns